Rum with no coke?

jolyroger

8 hours ago, pops72106 said:

Try Mt.Dew, I know it's great in bourbon and I would think it would be good in rum also

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Oh man! what a waste of bourbon!! And rum!  Don't do the Dew!

too funny,  Did you know??? That Mt. Dew was originally made to be the  mixer for 'moonshine' ?  hence the name.....  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, F27TW said:

Definitely .. Pepsi tastes medicinal (to me) and when its out of a soda gun, its even nastier.     Pepsi ain't Coke. .. not even close!  😉

That's  exactly what my hubby says, lol

Thanks y'all for the imput I'll pass it along to him. We've had the drink package before and he has found many things he likes and doesn't ,that's the joy of the package. He just enjoys a classic every now and then.

14 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If you have the drink package why settle for a rum and coke? Order any of the concoctions that are offered at any of the bars (each bar has a slightly different menu). Try different drinks that you wouldn't ordinarily try because you don't want to spend money on something you may not like. That's one of the benefits of the package- if you don't like it you can order something else after 5 minutes (and if you bring the drink back and just tell the bartender you don't like it they may waive that). 

Sometimes a guy just wants a drink he likes... Why settle for a wife? Try any of the women you find in the bar (each bar has a slightly different selection). Try women that you wouldn't ordinarily try because you don't want to spend money on someone you may not like. That's one of the benefits of having a package - if you don't like her you can try someone else after 5 minutes...😇

Edited by icft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, icft said:

Sometimes a guy just wants a drink he likes... Why settle for a wife? Try any of the women you find in the bar (each bar has a slightly different selection). Try women that you wouldn't ordinarily try because you don't want to spend money on someone you may not like. That's one of the benefits of having a package - if you don't like her you can try someone else after 5 minutes...😇

That's been society's mantra since the '60's. 😵

Edited by sparks1093

8 hours ago, icft said:

This may be THE funniest, best Cruise Critic post ever. 🤣

8 hours ago, icft said:

I think you just described my 21 years in the Navy.   Funny post.   🙂

• Haha 3

so the solution here is to bring your own coke (soft drink, not dope😉) and then order shots of your favorite rum and a glass of ice.   Or just drink the best aged (non-flavored) rum they offer with a couple of cubes of ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

so the solution here is to bring your own coke (soft drink, not dope😉) and then order shots of your favorite rum and a glass of ice.   Or just drink the best aged (non-flavored) rum they offer with a couple of cubes of ice.

I like it.  The alternative to rum & coke is rum!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/1/2022 at 7:41 AM, sparks1093 said:

If you have the drink package why settle for a rum and coke? Order any of the concoctions that are offered at any of the bars (each bar has a slightly different menu). Try different drinks that you wouldn't ordinarily try because you don't want to spend money on something you may not like. That's one of the benefits of the package- if you don't like it you can order something else after 5 minutes (and if you bring the drink back and just tell the bartender you don't like it they may waive that). 

No matter how many times this is heralded as the greatest use of $1000, most people are going to gravitate towards drinks and flavors they are familiar with. The last few times I "tried something new" I remembered why I didn't try it previously. Sure it's fun to find a new drink you like. It's not fun to have to go get bar service again because your drink is disgusting.

If it were me, I would forego the drink package. You can buy a 1 liter bottle of Malibu for $100 and bring on a 12 pack of Coke for under $10. You have exactly what you want, then buy what you want a la carte. It is similar to what I do as I primarily drink bourbon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

No matter how many times this is heralded as the greatest use of $1000, most people are going to gravitate towards drinks and flavors they are familiar with. The last few times I "tried something new" I remembered why I didn't try it previously. Sure it's fun to find a new drink you like. It's not fun to have to go get bar service again because your drink is disgusting.

If it were me, I would forego the drink package. You can buy a 1 liter bottle of Malibu for $100 and bring on a 12 pack of Coke for under $10. You have exactly what you want, then buy what you want a la carte. It is similar to what I do as I primarily drink bourbon. 

Everyone has a method that works for them. The first time that we had the package I did try every drink that I'd ever heard of and while I didn't love every one of them none of them were so bad that I found that I couldn't finish them, and I did find a couple of new favorites so I can mix things up (I am really not sure if that pun was intended or not😲). There are a lot of rum based drinks in the bars so even just sticking to rum gives one a lot of choices. (And for what it is worth I feel the same way about eating on the cruise ship- it's been paid for, why not try something new.)

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 7:30 AM, Retiredmedic said:

Rum and Pepsi is just gross and nasty. Rum is my favorite alcohol. I did find the Cuban Ice Teas in the Havana Bar very good. Tell em to hold the Pepsi.

Pepsi is just gross in general

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bajanswife said:

Unless of course the cruise line doesn't stock your brand of rum either. 😕 

I hope not, but that may become more common. I like Gentleman Jack. A few months back half way through the cruise they were out of it. Regular Jack Daniels? No. Wild Turkey? No. All they had was some brand I never heard of. They apparently did restock at the next port.

That was the first time in decades of sailing I was on a ship that ran out. A while after we got back someone posted on here about their not having something else. I think it was on the Vista and someone responded that the delivery truck had been stuck in Galveston traffic.

So, just like the quality of food - the raw ingredients like beef - have gone down to save costs or, like bacon, become rationed, I would not be surprised if the quality of alcohol goes down.

Hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Gotta love the people saying Pepsi is too sweet as if coke doesn’t have an obscene amount of sugar in it

Coke has a bite that cuts the perceived sweetness that Pepsi lacks.

• Like 2

Regardless of what you do - if you have the drink package, you should definitely be looking for top shelf rums to try and not middle to lower shelf like Malibu. Save that for at home. (Malibu, Cruzan, Bacardi, Capt Morgan)