Dinner attire in Alaska

petuniaflower

We usually get a bit done up (nothing crazy but summer dress type of thing) for dinners on our Carib cruises..not sure what to plan for Alaska for dinner attire..would we want to stick to something warmer/is there anything we would be outside on deck for, or could we stick with anything since we'd be inside?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

We usually get a bit done up (nothing crazy but summer dress type of thing) for dinners on our Carib cruises..not sure what to plan for Alaska for dinner attire..would we want to stick to something warmer/is there anything we would be outside on deck for, or could we stick with anything since we'd be inside?

Thanks

Probably best asking on the specific board for your cruise line, as many of them are different.

Our preferred cruise line's rig of the day is smart casual, every evening, except the buffet. We often have special meals on the aft deck. However, I have sailed Alaska a few times with temperatures in the 80's & 90's, so it isn't always cold. 

20 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Probably best asking on the specific board for your cruise line, as many of them are different.

Our preferred cruise line's rig of the day is smart casual, every evening, except the buffet. We often have special meals on the aft deck. However, I have sailed Alaska a few times with temperatures in the 80's & 90's, so it isn't always cold. 

Ok, thanks will do, its NCL.

12 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

I meant more so is there stuff to do out on deck at night, which would be much colder I assume (ie we sometimes go to deck parties or watch movie on deck).  Do these outdoor activities happen at night in Alaska?  Thanks:)

Again, these are questions specific to your cruise line.

My opinion, appropriate dinner attire regardless of the mass market cruise line, is smart casual on the nights that are not formal/gala nights.  On those evenings, a sport coat/blazer with tie is most appropriate for the gentlemen.  More likely, one will observe more men dressed with an open neck shirt without tie.  

Stick to something warmer.  I don't think they show outside movies on the ships that sail Alaska.  I know Celebrity and HAl don't.  I get chilly easily and always dress for it, especially out on the water.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

Out on the water (at SEA) sailing into the wind it can get downright chilly walking the Promenade deck or just viewing from one of the higher decks. You can layer up or duck inside for warming up. Just because Alaska is the land of the mid-night sun does not mean that it is beach weather and being sheltered within the Inside Passage does not guarantee warm southern sailing.

• Haha 1

I wouldn't get to concerned about bringing dressy/formal attire for evening wear.  Unless, of course you choose to. LOL

I have been on NCL and Celebrity since we resumed cruising and saw very few people dressing up.  Both cruises were to the Caribbean, and I don't recall seeing one single guy in a suit.  Some sport coats, but mostly nice pants, short sleeved shirts and Tommy Bahama like shirts.  Ladies in skirts, capri and nice pants.

I've been to Alaska twice, once on Celebrity and the other time on RC.  And most in the dining rooms wore very casual clothes.  Mostly jeans to be honest.  Although that was quite a few years ago, I am guessing it is still the norm for Alaska.  

On 6/1/2022 at 8:04 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

Stick to something warmer.  I don't think they show outside movies on the ships that sail Alaska.  I know Celebrity and HAl don't.  I get chilly easily and always dress for it, especially out on the water.

They do show outdoor movies on Radiance of the Seas.  I was just on her a couple weeks ago.  

Have never sailed NCL so cannot comment on their patricular style of dressing, but sailing Alaskan waters, we dress as we would normally, ie "smart casual", but with DH either wearing or taking a lightweight smart jacket to dinner and with me taking a warm wrap (which I put over my dining chair) as we quite often find ourselves outdoors for scenic sailing, or whale watching or similar and it is handy to have these items with us as there might not always be time to return to the cabin to fetch them, particularly so with whale sightings.  And we find it useful that one of us also has a phone or small camera with us for the same reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, petuniaflower said:

Thanks

Just got back from the NCL Jewel and the inside temps were very comfortable for lightweight long sleeves or even short sleeves. It was not dressy at all, the only restaurants with any dress code at all were Le Bistro and one of the main dining rooms (Tsar's Palace), which required "nice" jeans and collared shirts for the men. Even a polo shirt was acceptable. It was definitely a very casual, laid back vibe and I would take fewer dress clothes the next time for sure!

• Like 1

Was on NCL last September to Alaska on Encore. I can think of like 1 time being outside after dinner and it was simply because want purposely wanted to walk across the top deck. 

No clue if they do events now on the outdoor spaces you would need to read up on your ship and what prior cruises are doing. 

• 3 weeks later...