B2B Onward August Ravenna question

travelerchris

We are on Onward 8-19 (ending in Ravenna on 8-27) and 8-27 starting in Ravenna. Departure is 8pm at night. We really would like to go to Venice. Nothing other than transfers to Venice are available through Azamara. Does anybody have any suggestion how to get round trip transfers and a Venice tour during the day? It's a little over a 2 hr. drive each way. Any ideas are welcomed. 

On other b2b cruises, we have been offered a couple of excursions exclusive to continuing passengers, usually publicised a few days before the end of the first cruise. When you are on the first leg, you could ask the shore excursion team, and they will probably know what is likely to be offered.  

Bear in mind that about six hours of your day will be travel between Ravenna and Venice. That isn’t ideal for leaving enough time to see very much of Venice. Venice is best seen on a land stay if you can, maybe getting there a couple of days before the cruise.

I agree with those who say this is a great time to see Ravenna. Seeing Bologna would be another, closer option.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, harrodsfan said:

We plan to do a tour of Ravenna.. but we have been to Venice many times. 

The free shuttle provided made a DIY tour very easy.  We bought a time ticket at our first stop and then walked from location to the next.  Lots of walking.  At the time of our visit there were lots of school groups.

attached are pictures from just one of four..

1DDA5878-26CB-4B78-A810-06438F6AFC40.jpeg

70E19141-649A-40C1-B211-3BBF6F3068A0.jpeg

3FD80222-3457-47C3-BA48-71C32B0E5071.jpeg

2973D2F4-EAFD-4B3E-9581-B8CF6DA07792.jpeg

7601F8CE-E035-4A32-A4C6-04B4E838BCE8.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, harrodsfan said:

Try the website viator. I bet they could give you a Round trip tour. Alternatively the concierge on board might be able to help but that might be $$$$$. 

I looked on Viator and Tours By Locals. No help.

First - it is highly unlikely that they would offer a tour for the few people staying onboard.

Private cars are possibly available - though this is not a regular route for car services.

You could take a train with one connection - travel time is about 3 hours in each direction, which means you really don't have much time in Venice itself.

Finally, you could rent a car, with the issues of navigating both the Italian road system and the issue of parking in Venice.

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Finally, you could rent a car, with the issues of navigating both the Italian road system and the issue of parking in Venice.

Once you have reached Tronchetto to park, how much time does it then take to get to the tourist sites you want to see in Venice, or even to the vaporetto stop at Piazzale Roma?  Assuming this is a first visit, St. Mark's and the Doge Palace would presumably be at the top of the list, so then you have to get all the way back to Tronchetto before starting the drive to Ravenna.  IMHO this plan is too likely to end with you waving goodbye to the ship as it has pulled out without you...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Once you have reached Tronchetto to park, how much time does it then take to get to the tourist sites you want to see in Venice, or even to the vaporetto stop at Piazzale Roma?  Assuming this is a first visit, St. Mark's and the Doge Palace would presumably be at the top of the list, so then you have to get all the way back to Tronchetto before starting the drive to Ravenna.  IMHO this plan is too likely to end with you waving goodbye to the ship as it has pulled out without you...

Concur completely.

• Like 1

Try joebananalimos.net 

We were able to get a private transfer from Venice to Trieste as that’s the port our embarkation was changed to last year.  They may be able to create a tour for you.  

On 6/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That’s pretty much what I thought. We’re doing a tour of the Mosaics. I just wondered if anybody had any bright ideas that I hadn’t considered. Obviously not. So we’re considering going back from Barcelona. It’s closer than the US. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, travelerchris said:

That’s pretty much what I thought. We’re doing a tour of the Mosaics. I just wondered if anybody had any bright ideas that I hadn’t considered. Obviously not. So we’re considering going back from Barcelona. It’s closer than the US. 

There is a people mover between Tronchetto and Piazzale Roma.  From there is not too far to the vaporetti.  The slowest vaporetti to St Marks is 45 minutes, which is on their website along with the timing of other vaporetti.  I believe the vaporetto was 7.50€ or 8.50€ I don’t recall as my wheelchair got me the local rate.  Costs are also on their website.  Tickets are pretty easy to buy when you get near the docks too.   Finding how to get some of the sites to English can be challenging at times. 

When we were in Ravenna before COVID we took an all day tour to San Marino.  

what is your port before Ravenna?  We found people before us that were doing Trieste to do a tour with us in Venice.  They found a couple to share a car and arrived around 10 and left around 5-5:30.  Our tour was private for 4.5 hours because that’s about all we could both physically do.  

Travelerchris

Just travelled with Royal Caribbean from Ravenna for 2 cruises

The journey to and from Venice for people using the transfers was almost 3 hours each way.  I stayed in Ravenna pre-cruise and had to pre-book a taxi at the hotel to take me to the port the next morning as there are very few taxis based there.  On departure day, the only taxis that were at the port were those that had been pre-booked (which I’d done) to collect people going back to Venice/Bologna mainly.

There’s no way I would risk trying to do a round trip visit to Venice