Ovation OTS Alaska Cruise May 27 - June 3

Just got home yesterday from our cruise to Alaska May 27 - June 3.  This was our first time on the Ovation.  We were surprised to learn that in order to have lights in the room, your Sea Pass card has to stay in the plastic apparatus.  You only remove your card when you leave the room.  Our HC room was spacious and even had a ramp if you’re unable to get out of your wheelchair.  The all-in-one body wash/shampoo & conditioner sucks. (IMHO).  Bring your own.

We usually have breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer; however, we discovered that the dining room has expanded their choices and we stopped going to the Windjammer when the dining room was open.  The cod in Fish & Ships was not good.  It had that dark portion of the fish which tasted bitter.  My husband paid $5 just for the halibut 🤣.  The popcorn shrimp, for which there is no charge, was excellent.

This was the first cruise where we didn’t really encounter rude passengers.  Maybe two people cut in line out of the whole cruise.  The weather in Alaska was beautiful with sunshine and comfortable temperatures.  No rough water; nothing but calm seas.  Canada was slightly cooler than Alaska, but not cold.

We had 15 people and a 1 1/2 year old.  We were celebrating my husband’s sister’s 80th birthday.  She was surprised by her daughter and SIL from Idaho, and by her niece and grandniece from Nevada.  They told her they wouldn’t be able to join all of us on the cruise.  What a wonderful surprise, because only the person making all the arrangements knew they were joining us on the cruise.  Everyone had a great time.  Only 5 of us have cruised before.  Needless to say, we have created new cruising addicts. 👏👏👏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention one important thing about staterooms on Ovation.  There are NO INSIDE LOCKS in the staterooms.  While in the shower, I heard knocking on the door and the doorbell.  I’m yelling I’m in the shower when I hear someone unlocking the door.  So I start yelling again.  As it turns out, you need to put the sleeping off the adventure magnetic door sign in order for the staff not to enter your room.  A staff member waited outside my door until I was ready to let him deliver a complimentary tray of desserts.  

Can we ask a couple quick questions please, did you noitice if the North Star was working and if your ship happened to stop in Victoria, how was it getting off?  Nice to hear you had great weather and a fantastic time, thanks for sharing !

Edited by T-2

1 hour ago, T-2 said:

Can we ask a couple quick questions please, did you noitice if the North Star was working and if your ship happened to stop in Victoria, how was it getting off?  Nice to hear you had great weather and a fantastic time, thanks for sharing !

The North Star wasn’t working. In Victoria, I rode my mobility scooter into town, all the way to Chinatown.  Coming back, one of the cruise buses had tie-downs for my scooter.  He didn’t charge us anything for the ride back to the ship. There are many different buses available at the pier.  So many options available in Victoria.  Just be sure to complete the Canada forms - not long or complicated and bring it with you on your phone or a printed copy.  Only vaccinated passengers are allowed in Canada.  Lovely city.  Enjoy your cruise.

I wanted to add something I just remembered,.  If you’re in a mobility scooter or wheelchair, the White Pass Railroad Train Ride is VERY ACCOMMODATING.  You drive your scooter onto the lift, and the lift carries both you and the scooter into the railroad car.  The train depot is about a half-mile from the ship.

thank you so much, happy to hear that getting off was not a huge process, we will have our forms ready, not too many have disembarked there yet, one effortlessly and one with long lines, so nice to hear its working well now, Love Victoria, the brief stop goes all too quickly.  Thanks again for sharing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iuki said:

I wanted to add something I just remembered,.  If you’re in a mobility scooter or wheelchair, the White Pass Railroad Train Ride is VERY ACCOMMODATING.  You drive your scooter onto the lift, and the lift carries both you and the scooter into the railroad car.  The train depot is about a half-mile from the ship.

Last time I did a cruise ship and the train, the train came down onto the pier very close to the ship mooring. Is that no longer the case? Thanks!

Going on Ovation in August.  I've heard different things about this:  is the Cruise Compass - the daily schedule - a paper version, or is it electronic on the RCL App or sent to your phone?  Would prefer old fashioned paper.  Any chance if you have one, could it be posted?

4 minutes ago, Mikewa said:

a paper version, or is it electronic on the RCL App or sent to your phone? 

The info in the app is a subset of what's available in the paper Compass - you should be able to get/use either.

20 hours ago, iuki said:

There are NO INSIDE LOCKS in the staterooms.

Interesting…I had an inside lock. Although I would turn it to lock, if I was in shower I would put sleeping sign up. Room service can enter with the lock on, to deliver treats, but if I was in the cabin, I would answer. If didn’t want to be disturbed, always Sleep sign on door.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Last time I did a cruise ship and the train, the train came down onto the pier very close to the ship mooring. Is that no longer the case? Thanks!

There is a walk from the ship to train, although 1/2 mile seems to be pushing it. There are little golf trams that can take you the length of the dock. It’s still a bit of a walk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, iuki said:

The North Star wasn’t working. 

Ovation's North Star is a problem this year.  I was on the shakedown cruise in April and people got stuck in it.  They were having a lot of problems and ended up having to shut it down completely on that cruise.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

It’s close enough to walk; but there is a free shuttle from the ship to the train.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikewa said:

Going on Ovation in August.  I've heard different things about this:  is the Cruise Compass - the daily schedule - a paper version, or is it electronic on the RCL App or sent to your phone?  Would prefer old fashioned paper.  Any chance if you have one, could it be posted?

Still on paper.

I will be boarding this Friday….can you tell me what sort of entertainment was available?  Shows? comedy? Music?  Did you notice any lack of food or alcohol? I keep reading about regular items not being available (supply chain issues)?  How would you rate the staff?  The cruise overall?

Also, how was embarkation?  Thanks in advance for my many questions…Can you tell I’m excited?

11 hours ago, chefchick said:

I will be boarding this Friday….can you tell me what sort of entertainment was available?  Shows? comedy? Music?  Did you notice any lack of food or alcohol? I keep reading about regular items not being available (supply chain issues)?  How would you rate the staff?  The cruise overall?

Also, how was embarkation?  Thanks in advance for my many questions…Can you tell I’m excited?

We're getting on with you!  Can't wait

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chefchick said:

Embarkation was slightly confusing in that one person tells you to go somewhere and another person tells you something different, but, we were onboard and having lunch in the Windjammer within an hour of arriving at the pier.  No special themed musicals; just comedians and typical showtime dancing and singing.  The Music Hall had a group with a female singer, drummer, and a guitarist.  They were good - 70’s music.  Boleros had Latin music, and both places had karaoke.  No shortage of food or alcohol.  Escargot and shrimp cocktail were available every night.  They still have the marriage game shows and late adult comedy shows.  Overall, we have no complaints, and the staff were good as always.  Can’t blame you for being excited.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

It seems like lots of folks going on Alaskan cruises this year (not just on Royal) are ending up with Covid during or shortly after. Did you encounter this or any discussion about it on your cruise?

We are sailing on Ovation in July and I am just curious how all of that is going.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:27 PM, iuki said:

I forgot to mention one important thing about staterooms on Ovation.  There are NO INSIDE LOCKS in the staterooms.  While in the shower, I heard knocking on the door and the doorbell.  I’m yelling I’m in the shower when I hear someone unlocking the door.  So I start yelling again.  As it turns out, you need to put the sleeping off the adventure magnetic door sign in order for the staff not to enter your room.  A staff member waited outside my door until I was ready to let him deliver a complimentary tray of desserts.  

I believe there are inside locks on the standard cabins just not the HC

cabins

On 6/5/2022 at 10:58 PM, iuki said:

If you book the train as an excursion through the ship, you board the train at the dock.

Booked any other way, you board at the station.

Edited by STEVE-O
typo
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

It seems like lots of folks going on Alaskan cruises this year (not just on Royal) are ending up with Covid during or shortly after. Did you encounter this or any discussion about it on your cruise?

We are sailing on Ovation in July and I am just curious how all of that is going.

My wife tested positive for COVID the day after we returned from 4 weeks in AK on Radiance.

No symptoms before, during nor after the cruises. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I was on the same cruise and COVID was definitely going around. I didn't get it but my partner did; got symptoms and tested positive the day we got home. Based on the Facebook group for this sailing, quite a few people tested positive once we got home. Maybe less than 10% of guests were masks, went up to maybe 20% by the end as lots of people were coughing.