Navigator of the Seas delayed this Friday

If you’re going on Navigator of the Seas this upcoming Friday, June 10. Check with your travel agent or email or app for a notification.  Embarkation will be delayed 4 hours and is now starting at 3pm. 

This was the email I got:

If you’re on Navigator this weekend, be prepare for significant delays. 

Dear Guest,

We’re excited for your upcoming Navigator of the Seas June 10th, 2022 cruise with us! Before you head to the Port of Los Angeles, we have some important information to share.

There will be significant road closures and heavy traffic in and around the port this coming Friday. As a result, we’re delaying embarkation and sail time, now beginning at 3:00 PM and with all aboard by 7:00 PM. We kindly ask all guests to arrive to the port no earlier than 3:00 PM. If you arrive earlier, you will be asked to return after 3:00 PM.

For smooth check-in, plan to arrive 4 hours after your original check-in time. For example, if you selected 12:00 PM for check-in, arrive at 4:00 PM. Please be sure to arrive only during your new check-in window. Guests who try to arrive earlier will have to wait in their vehicle until the roads reopen and we don't want you to kick off an amazing cruise vacation this way.

Understanding this is a last-minute change impacts and your time onboard, we’re providing you with a $25 Onboard Credit per person that will be added to your onboard SeaPass account to cover lunch on us! This Onboard Credit can be used anywhere onboard. Use it to book an adventurous shore excursion in Ensenada or towards a rejuvenating treatment in the spa!

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, and we wish you a safe drive to the Port of Los Angeles. See you soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

• Thanks 2

Interesting. We’re on board now and haven’t heard anything about possible issues leaving the ship. It would be interesting to know which roads will be closed? 

Edit as I found this. Looks like our normal drive home will be open but could be crowded.

https://kfiam640.iheart.com/featured/la-local-news/content/2022-06-01-traffic-closures-expected-as-la-hosts-summit-of-the-americas-june-6-10/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Interesting. We’re on board now and haven’t heard anything about possible issues leaving the ship. It would be interesting to know which roads will be closed? 

Edit as I found this. Looks like our normal drive home will be open but could be crowded.

https://kfiam640.iheart.com/featured/la-local-news/content/2022-06-01-traffic-closures-expected-as-la-hosts-summit-of-the-americas-june-6-10/

Good luck getting home!

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Good luck getting home!

Thanks Carol. The mayor has Indicated which roads to avoid. We go the opposite direction. While there may be some congestion, hopefully it goes well. Basically avoid LAX to downtown. Those flying in the day of might have a few issues.

98455092-86AE-4AF7-8060-C4914757F526.jpeg

CC153E0C-12AF-4AA0-B7CB-F73D8E16968D.jpeg

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Guest Services just confirmed that our debarkation will now start at 5:30 AM on Friday morning and end at 8:30 AM. 

If everyone is off at 8:30, why can't we still board on time?  I don't understand why boarding needs to be delayed.  I do understand why we need to leave later to allow everyone time to get to the port.

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Guest Services just confirmed that our debarkation will now start at 5:30 AM on Friday morning and end at 8:30 AM. 

That sounds like it’s earlier than normal. Normally at 8:30 I’m still having breakfast. 

44 minutes ago, Fisical1 said:

If everyone is off at 8:30, why can't we still board on time?  I don't understand why boarding needs to be delayed.  I do understand why we need to leave later to allow everyone time to get to the port.

I’m guessing it’s also a staffing issue, they can’t let us into the terminal if theres not enough people working and something’s going on that’s preventing all the staff from showing up for normal embarkation. Also if they are able to get to work on time, the question is if they can keep them there for several hours longer than normal.

• Like 1

I was going to get my haircut (2:30pm appointment). The shop is in Old Town Monrovia. A total back up, every street had cars parked. It was organized. Cops everywhere.

I finally got inside and the owner showed me the back parking lot …just filled with those black, long, & shiny clean BIG SUV’s!! 

Turns out Kamala Harris was one street over, something with a play center/therapy for children with special needs and just kids in general. 

My hubby who works in the South Bay, said freeways were a mess everywhere.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

The Summit of the Americas is in town, (with a lot of dignitaries and the president,) they are closing roads and traffic is a nightmare so they are trying to avoid a problem by giving everyone a warning. We have had things cancelled LA because you just can't get anywhere, more than normal.

Currently getting ready to head down to deck four to leave the ship. We were told last night that the NV has to depart the port this morning once all guests debark. Everyone is supposed to be off the ship by 8:00 AM. The ship will be allowed to return to port at 2:00 this afternoon. 

Yes, we disembarked this morning.  We were told the ship would be moved out of the port for the afternoon, which is why embarkation would not happen in time.  After getting home, I saw the President giving a speech at the port with all the containers in the background, so possibly the cruise ship was in the way of the backdrop they were looking for?  At any rate, whether the ship was there or not, they would not have allowed all that traffic to happen around the area that the summit was taking place.  We were disembarked very early, we were off the ship by 7 AM and on our way home.  We live about 70 miles northeast of the port and we encountered no traffic at that particular time.  My son, who also sailed with us, got off about 30 minutes later, and said as he was entering the freeway, there was a motorcade of police officers and big black SUVs arriving in the port area.  He was one of the last groups to disembark, so they did a good job of getting most people off and away before things became a mess.