Men's "average day" Dinner Attire.

jchipgcs

Ovation is at almost full capacity this segment (Barcelona-Lisbon). Supposedly, the numbers be lower at following segments. 

The staff is really having to run to keep up with the numbers.  We have actually had to wave at waiters in the Colonnade and Obs bar to get their attention.  

About half the men continue to wear jackets in TKG. very few in the Restaurant.  Formal night is tomorrow. 

Last evening an old guy showed up at the Observation bar wearing what appeared to be only a t-shirt and no pants.  Yuck!

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Not sure  I understand the 'no pants' bit.  Did you mean naked?  Surely  not.

I would guess short shorts giving the impression of no pants. Even so not what I expect at an inside bar, though they could do so at the Sky Bar.

5 hours ago, marazul said:

Last evening an old guy showed up at the Observation bar wearing what appeared to be only a t-shirt and no pants.  Yuck!

😲 Yikes

Yes, I guessed that!   I have known men to stay in the Observation Bar in their casual gear after 6, and not been told to leave by the staff, but not to arrive for the evening dressed like that.

It is quite hard for staff to have to tell passengers that they are inappropriately dressed, I am sure, and often they will be the type who will come back at you.  I wonder if this old chap was told to leave.

6 hours ago, marazul said:

About half the men continue to wear jackets in TKG. very few in the Restaurant.  Formal night is tomorrow. 

Interesting.   I don't consider the TK Grill to be fine dining.  It is more like an American Steakhouse.  The Main Dining Room menu is more of a fine dining menu warranting dressing up a bit.   

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I would guess short shorts giving the impression of no pants. Even so not what I expect at an inside bar, though they could do so at the Sky Bar.

😲 Yikes

It was a fairly short t-shirt. I suspect speedos.  😱

I have been following this post with great interest. DH and I are sailing on the Ovation in March 2023. This will be our first Seabourn cruise.

I have been struggling with attire for this cruise. Years ago, we used to dress for occasions but as time has passed the change in norms made us appear over dressed so we adopted a significantly more casual style.

Now I am thinking I need to do some serious shopping as I was planning on dressing DH similar to the OP's example with the exception of formal night. I would also adapt my wardrobe accordingly. DH has a couple suits and I have a few dresses but not enough for a 14 day cruise.

To be honest, after reading some the posts I am having second thoughts about this cruise. 

1 hour ago, moosemac said:

I have been following this post with great interest. DH and I are sailing on the Ovation in March 2023. This will be our first Seabourn cruise.

I have been struggling with attire for this cruise. Years ago, we used to dress for occasions but as time has passed the change in norms made us appear over dressed so we adopted a significantly more casual style.

Now I am thinking I need to do some serious shopping as I was planning on dressing DH similar to the OP's example with the exception of formal night. I would also adapt my wardrobe accordingly. DH has a couple suits and I have a few dresses but not enough for a 14 day cruise.

To be honest, after reading some the posts I am having second thoughts about this cruise. 

Don't be put off.  I pack quite a few dresses (they don't take up much room) and different jewellery, shoes etc.  My husband takes a few jackets of different sorts, nice shirts, he doesn't even take a suit anymore!  We mix and match and look smart enough for a SB cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Don't be put off.  I pack quite a few dresses (they don't take up much room) and different jewellery, shoes etc.  My husband takes a few jackets of different sorts, nice shirts, he doesn't even take a suit anymore!  We mix and match and look smart enough for a SB cruise.  

Thank you! Your advice is appreciated.

We are not travel novices and prefer finer travel experiences but some of the comments were snobbish and off putting. 

• Like 2

As for the man dressed just in a T shirt, at least he was clothed.    We have been on Seabourn where a man and then a woman left their cabins without any clothing.   Both suffered from dementia and their care givers must have lost track of the, for a while.   Have sympathy for the barely dressed passengers, at least they had clothing.   With so many elderly traveling, clothing can be tricky.   

2 hours ago, moosemac said:

Seriously, you are really considering canceling an upcoming cruise because of a few posters' opinions on dress? 
Don't forget, Cruise Critic posters are only a small minority of the passengers sailing.

Enjoy your cruise; by March 2023, all these opinions could change!

2 hours ago, moosemac said:

Please don't be put off by this thread.  My husband takes a couple of conservative sports coats and ties, I take a simple black dress or two and some  simple separates and scarves/jewelry etc.   I don't worry about repeating my evening outfits at all.  Some people do, but I am not among them. We try to pack fairly light.   We haven't cruised post Covid but I am already planning what to take on our next cruise.  I have various dresses that can be seen as dressy or not for evening.  I will still take the black dress for two for a bit dressier.  My husband will take some dress shirts and pants.  The daytime is easy.  

• Like 1

The restaurant was packed last night to the point where some people couldn't be seated.  They called in waiters from other venues to help with the service.

More tuxes in average than previous week. Mauzac's clothing suggestions work just fine so there is no need to overpack. 

As for having to wave at waiters for attention at the Colonnade and Obs bar, there have been a couple of times when only one waiter has been visible and no one was covering some sections.