P&O "extras" ??

Given NSW was probably averaging around 7500 cases or more a day at the time that cruise started, and given that pre-cruise RATs don't have to be supervised, it would be a miracle if Covid didn't make an appearance onboard.

The governments don't seem to care about Covid any more and that also seems to be the case with the media.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Given NSW was probably averaging around 7500 cases or more a day at the time that cruise started, and given that pre-cruise RATs don't have to be supervised, it would be a miracle if Covid didn't make an appearance onboard.

The governments don't seem to care about Covid any more and that also seems to be the case with the media.

If there is a big covid explosion on the ships, the State and Federal Governments will have blood on their hands, then the media should get stuck in.

I have no doubt pax are embarking with Covid, not disclosing their positive unsupervised RAT's.  Perhaps crew as well.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Just runny nose and sore throat. one person in my cabin got a PCR test because they want to see the 89 year old mother and positive.

They called a couple of others and they did a RAT. 3 others positive.
We where told the cruise was code yellow and the health department was carefully looking at us as we got off.

So that was a 4 night cruise,I wonder how a longer cruise like a transpacific would go .

Did anyone test positive on the ship, or since returning home? Only the ones testing positive on the ship count in the "code yellow" numbers.

I am aware of 10 testing positive from the first cruise, but all after returning home. Of the ones I specifically know, after disembarking and returning home on Saturday, they felt unwell with symptoms and tested positive at home on Tuesday.

The US is mostly operating on cruises of 7 days or less, and 85 of their 93 ships are code yellow (more than 0.3% of passengers). Yes, these long transpacific crossings will be interesting to follow.

At least P&O don't charge extra for covid, or for onboard testing. 😉

I hope everyone gets well soon.

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The US has 85 of 93 ships in code yellow. Supervised tests don't work either, as so many can catch it in transit. 

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Cruiselines are spending up big on media advertising and freebies, so no real surprise on the media position at this time.

If the tide was to turn, the media would quickly adjust their position.

They can hold sway over parts of the media, but not all of it. For NSW, it wasn't that long ago that there were schools on the front page every day, yet that has now passed. There are still regular school based infections though. As long as everything is being managed within the protocols, there is no story.

Not sure how the QLD media will treat the same situation happening on Coral Princess though.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Did anyone test positive on the ship, or since returning home? Only the ones testing positive on the ship count in the "code yellow" numbers.

I am aware of 10 testing positive from the first cruise, but all after returning home. Of the ones I specifically know, after disembarking and returning home on Saturday, they felt unwell with symptoms and tested positive at home on Tuesday.

The US is mostly operating on cruises of 7 days or less, and 85 of their 93 ships are code yellow (more than 0.3% of passengers). Yes, these long transpacific crossings will be interesting to follow.

At least P&O don't charge extra for covid, or for onboard testing. 😉

I hope everyone gets well soon.

I don’t know of anyone being tested on the ship.

At check in ,P&O where not interested if we did a test or not . They asked us to read a sign that asked if we had any symptoms or tested positive in the last week or so.

About halfway through the cruise they informed us the cruise was yellow and  started to enforce wearing masks then it dropped off.

The longer cruises will be interesting as it has time to incubate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know of anyone being tested on the ship.

At check in ,P&O where not interested if we did a test or not . They asked us to read a sign that asked if we had any symptoms or tested positive in the last week or so.

About halfway through the cruise they informed us the cruise was yellow and  started to enforce wearing masks then it dropped off.

The longer cruises will be interesting as it has time to incubate.

The vaxx status and test status were already loaded into their system though? They don't need to ask what they already know. 

I was annoyed at having to redo all of the stuff we had already attested to via their app. We should have only had to prove who we were via photo ID, then scan the bar code to be checked-in.

6 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The vaxx status and test status were already loaded into their system though? They don't need to ask what they already know. 

I was annoyed at having to redo all of the stuff we had already attested to via their app. We should have only had to prove who we were via photo ID, then scan the bar code to be checked-in.

I didn’t use the app , I only ticked the box on the cruise control that I was vaccinated. Which they didn’t check.

All they where really interested in was my credit card and driver license.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Would Covid be complimentary or free ?

As long as it’s not a upcharge.

Could be an additional charge, dependent on your loyalty level, Chilli.

I just got off Pacific Explorer today and checked my statement.  I don't have it in front of me but I noted I got charged an extra for partner charities donation when I glanced over it in the stateroom before disembarkation.  It was only $1 but I don't recall selecting any option for this.  My cabin mate got the same charge.

2 hours ago, plettza said:

I just got off Pacific Explorer today and checked my statement.  I don't have it in front of me but I noted I got charged an extra for partner charities donation when I glanced over it in the stateroom before disembarkation.  It was only $1 but I don't recall selecting any option for this.  My cabin mate got the same charge.

Priot to covid this was normal practice for P&O. There is nowhere to say yes or no to this donation. You can have it removed prior to disembarkation if you wish.

12 hours ago, plettza said:

They have had this for several years, and I recall it used to be mentioned on the daily. I didn't specifically make note of it on our recent cruise though.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, CDaze71 said:

Sea P. Hope there's free icecream on Coral. 

The 3 sea  sun and dawn did not have the icecream parlour on deck but the other ships normally do and add hot cherries sometimes or waffles

4 hours ago, windsor26 said:

The 3 sea  sun and dawn did not have the icecream parlour on deck but the other ships normally do and add hot cherries sometimes or waffles

We never cruised on Sea Princess, so can't vouch for that.

Sun & Dawn Princess both had an ice cream parlour - heading aft from the main pool, on  the port side under the MUTS screen - same spot that the NZ ice cream is now on Pacific Explorer.

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

Sun & Dawn Princess both had an ice cream parlour - heading aft from the main pool, on  the port side under the MUTS screen - same spot that the NZ ice cream is now on Pacific Explorer.

Correct Geoff, been on the above 3 in past years, the 'no additional charge' ice cream was up there, lurking, chocolate sprinkles included.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arxcards said:

Sea Princess also had an icecream parlour in the same place, but it only had soft serve. This was complimentary.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

With all of the earlier chat about what ice cream is free and what isn't - lets go gelato.

The newest Princess ships have officially certified Italian gelato. No not free, as Princess site has "additional charge applies". With Discovery Princess starting to show booking in Aussie ports in 2024/25, it won't be long till we can try their paid option here.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/its-official-princess-cruises-only-line-offer-authentic-gelato

Good news though. They still have the inclusive Swirls on the pool deck as well as the gelato in The Piazza

• Like 1

Everyone has mentioned the shows, snack foods etc here that are different. I'd also add that included restaurants always have an upgrade or "indulge" section.

The price of drinks since the relaunch is crazy too, I just came back from a 5 star Port Douglas hotel and everything on the menu was cheaper at the hotel than on Pacific Explorer.

I'd definitely reconsider doing P&O on a longer cruise because I want to actually relax and not feel like I'm getting ripped off the entire time. I just sucked it up for the 3 nighter but I hope all cruise lines don't go that direction

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruisin-m said:

Everyone has mentioned the shows, snack foods etc here that are different. I'd also add that included restaurants always have an upgrade or "indulge" section.

The price of drinks since the relaunch is crazy too, I just came back from a 5 star Port Douglas hotel and everything on the menu was cheaper at the hotel than on Pacific Explorer.

I'd definitely reconsider doing P&O on a longer cruise because I want to actually relax and not feel like I'm getting ripped off the entire time. I just sucked it up for the 3 nighter but I hope all cruise lines don't go that direction

If they halved the price of their booze, wine, whatever they would probably sell more and still make 500% markup. The bean counters at P&O, Princess, HAL, whatever are not really that smart.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:24 AM, Chiliburn said:

This thread is about P&O extras 

We had about 20 friends on the last cruise and 4 have tested positive.

Not great, I may not have 20 friends but they are all positive type people.

• Haha 1