British Isles Explorer Cruise

Ceegeefl

deec: we had cruise voucher credit from a cancelled cruise and it was more than this cruise. The voucher $ had to be spent at least 2 weeks before the cruise. Rather than Silver Spirits beverage package, we used it for optional excursions. Right decision. Included wines are a-okay with lunches and dinners. Since I don’t care for savingon blanc, I just asked for the house Chardonnay with dinners and it’s very good. We upgraded to premium wines with chefs table and still are no where near total of Silver spirits package. 

This Wicklow excursion was a bit pricey but it’s 9 hours total and therefore included lunch. You’re not just paying for lunch….incredible stops (estate and gardens and distillery; beautiful 6th century monastic ruins in national park; and beautiful drive through Ireland countryside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gropo said:

We appear to be on the same cruise. Just as a counterpoint:  We went on the included Dublin City tour. Fairly disappointing. Can’t really see much from coach windows on narrow streets. Most commentary was about how the Guinness people paid for about everything good in Dublin, and about which intersection we just past where X number of people were shot during independence rebellion, which apparently happened in several locations … but did we need to go to all of them?  The stop at the Art Museum was more for a restroom break than to see any exhibited works. 

So, in Dublin, I’d recommend spending on one of the optional tours. Someday we will return to see Ireland. 

Do you just get what you pay for?  Somewhat. 

On the other hand, today we were on the included bus ride thru Anglesey. Great countryside views, good narrative, but only one stop for photo opportunities. Still, we were satisfied. 

In Dublin - I'd suggest just taking the Viking Shuttle into town then getting on the Hop On/Hop Off bus.  We did that our first time in the city  and you get a GREAT overview and can stop off where ever you want to explore more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

Who are you using for your private tour? And did you tell them what you want to see or let them pick what to show you?

Pat Liddy's Walking Tours.  We were looking for a specific type of walking tour and I found them on another site (someone recommending them) and contacted them by email.  They are very accommodating.

https://www.walkingtours.ie/

10 hours ago, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

Please give me the local vendors for tours. We have to book with Viking on May 24, but were looking at doing private tours in several of the ports.

Check post #96 on page 4

For those who have done the British Isles from Bergen to London, can you tell me approximately what time each day the ship leaves for the next port? We're trying to book some private tours, but don't know what time we have to be back on the ship. Does it leave before dinner, during dinner or even after dinner?

7 minutes ago, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

For those who have done the British Isles from Bergen to London, can you tell me approximately what time each day the ship leaves for the next port? We're trying to book some private tours, but don't know what time we have to be back on the ship. Does it leave before dinner, during dinner or even after dinner?

As @SantaFe1 says, check you invoice for projected port times. We always plan for "back on board" times as 1 hour prior to departure - but as stated, both the departure and on board times are always subject to change.

When we do a private tour, we will only deal with folks who are willing to be flexible on times should the ship schedule change prior to arrival. Reputable private tour companies never have an issue with this - its part of the job for them. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

As @SantaFe1 says, check you invoice for projected port times. We always plan for "back on board" times as 1 hour prior to departure - but as stated, both the departure and on board times are always subject to change.

When we do a private tour, we will only deal with folks who are willing to be flexible on times should the ship schedule change prior to arrival. Reputable private tour companies never have an issue with this - its part of the job for them. 🍺🥌

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I think I'm just so tired from trying to plan everything. It didn't even cross my mind that I have it on my reservation. Thanks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Krazy4Kruisin' said:

I see you live in Austin. So do we. Would you be willing to talk to me about your British Isles cruise. We're doing it in August this year. Is there a place I can privately give you my email or phone number?

of course! 

my public email is in my signature, it gets automatically forwarded to my private email. Send me a ping and I will reply.

Wish you were on board Viking Homelands today. We just found out that we have to skip Gdansk Poland because of weather and I am so sad. 😢

I could see if I still have some of the dailies from the British Isles explore cruise when I get back home

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

of course! 

my public email is in my signature, it gets automatically forwarded to my private email. Send me a ping and I will reply.

Wish you were on board Viking Homelands today. We just found out that we have to skip Gdansk Poland because of weather and I am so sad. 😢

I could see if I still have some of the dailies from the British Isles explore cruise when I get back home

I don't see your signature. I thought it was supposed to be at the bottom of your posts, but unless I'm crazy, I don't see it. Sorry that you have to skip Gdansk, but have a great time on the rest of the cruise. When do you get back to Austin? What part of town do you live in?

20 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

In Dublin - I'd suggest just taking the Viking Shuttle into town then getting on the Hop On/Hop Off bus.  We did that our first time in the city  and you get a GREAT overview and can stop off where ever you want to explore more.

This is why I am on CC! Thanks to all of you posting about excursions, first hand information is what we need. Dublin is one of those ports we didn't feel like anything really sounded good to us, so we are on for the included and then were going to roam around the city on our own. It sounds like maybe we should just start off roaming on our own using the Hop On/Hop Off. So does the shuttle drop us off near the Hop On and can we just sit on it and do a full loop around and end up where we started? Any idea how long that would take without getting off so we can judge before hand how long we can stay at a location? 

4 hours ago, MELSMOM47 said:

All cabins?

Yes, and on the gangway as you leave the ship  -- which is where I leave my wet umbrella when I return to the ship so I don't have to deal with a wet umbrella in my dry cabin

• Like 1

The very convenient  umbrellas in the state room are LARGE great in downpour but a bit of a hassle to take "just in case"...if there is rain in the forecast I usually take my small packable umbrella.

My husband and I will be on the Viking British Isles

trip, disembarking on 24 June in Greenwich. We need to get to the Paddington train station In London - has anyone had experience with or suggestions for easy-to-maneuver transportation from Greenwich, where the ship will be in port, to the Paddington train station? We will have several pieces of luggage so we can't do too much traveling on foot. Appreciate input!

Edited by englishrider
misspelling

3 hours ago, englishrider said:

My husband and I will be on the Viking British Isles

trip, disembarking on 24 June in Greenwich. We need to get to the Paddington train station In London - has anyone had experience with or suggestions for easy-to-maneuver transportation from Greenwich, where the ship will be in port, to the Paddington train station? We will have several pieces of luggage so we can't do too much traveling on foot. Appreciate input!

Welcome to cruise critic.

The most convenient, but most expensive option, is an executive car hire, of which my preference in London, is Addison Lee. Can be booked by phone or online. It is a short walk from where you get the bags to where vehicles can get access.

Other options are the DLR and Thames Ferry, but not so easy with bags.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JerryInIL said:

If you want to book a car hire to meet at the dock, about when will Viking assign you a disembarkation time?  

Darn good question, Jerry!

I know that we are dependent on tenders in Greenwich but are we assigned precise times for disembarkation even if we are not using Viking transfers?

I know this is a special circumstance and usually those with independent transfers are free to leave whenever they are ready to depart.

Edited by Peregrina651

1 hour ago, JerryInIL said:

If you want to book a car hire to meet at the dock, about when will Viking assign you a disembarkation time?  

Peregrina, with all deference to you, and maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but Viking discloses disembarkation times the day before.  Latest is usually 9:00.  If not using a Viking transfer, I would have a car or taxi etc. waiting for me about 9:15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Peregrina, with all deference to you, and maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but Viking discloses disembarkation times the day before.  Latest is usually 9:00.  If not using a Viking transfer, I would have a car or taxi etc. waiting for me about 9:15.

C, normally, yes, that is the plan. Times are announced the day before and guests who are not using Viking transfers can depart at any time before the stated "you must be off the ship" time (usually, but not always, 10am based on my experiences).

But Jerry asked about disembarking in Greenwich, where tendering is involved. So the big question for those who do not have Viking transfers is if they can depart at any time or are all pax assigned a departure time and expected to depart at that time. That's why I said it was a good question, because we don't know if there is a different procedure in Greenwich because of the tendering involved; I don't think I have seen it mentioned on CC. 

Hopefully someone with an independent transfer who has docked in Greenwich will speak up.

The other question I would also be asking at this time, since we usually carry our own luggage off the ship, is if we are allowed to do this if we are using tenders (or must we put our luggage out for collection the evening before).

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Hopefully someone with an independent transfer who has docked in Greenwich will speak up.

We did this in 2019 and, according to the daily, we could depart at "at leisure" between 03.00 and 9:15 am. Viking did not operate its own tenders but used larger boats from the Thames clipper fleet that usually run from Greenwich into central London for the short trip from the pontoon mooring to shore.

Getting your bags off, might be another thing though. As I recall, the walk out onto the floating pontoon and on to the tender may have included some small steps. You would probably be okay with small carry-ons but full-size cases would certainly be better put out the night before. They are loaded onto a barge during the night and then placed in a disembarkation marquee, gathered together by tag colour, for you to collect when you get ashore.

• Like 1