Watch Out for New Automatic Service Charges

422Melissa

4 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Huh?  What if your kids don't drink soda?  That seems extreme...

That's what I thought . Pretty harsh and making people who are traveling with you or in adjacent cabins. I wonder if this rule is ever enforced. Would sure be a deal breaker to us if we were cruising with another couple but staying in a different cabin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Mmmm … I didn’t even think to look at different prices for the water (on a 2nd day delivery).  
Would you mind sharing the price difference? I order the 12 bottles.

Thanks,

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

90 cents

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, BlerkOne said:

To most people, I think Free means Free. At least it should.

462422-June-Pulse_1_Fleet_Full_Horizonta

One time I got a free cruise from a time share company, it cost me $1500.00.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Just now, Purvis1231 said:

One time I got a free cruise from a time share company, it cot me $1500.00.

You got out cheap compared to a lot of people that go to those time share sales pitches.

• Like 1

This is what happens when people don't tip / remove tips. They get replaced with service charges.

There will be a day in the not so distant future where the auto-grat on the rooms is replaced by a service charge that can't be removed. 

5 minutes ago, bobbyandali said:

This is what happens when people don't tip / remove tips. They get replaced with service charges.

There will be a day in the not so distant future where the auto-grat on the rooms is replaced by a service charge that can't be removed. 

NCL has a service charge. They still let people remove it 

On 6/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, mz-s said:

Actually, I do have a problem with one gratuity - the one charged at the PYOB station. Who gets that 18%?

The bar back that swaps out the keg.  The bar back / cleaner who cleans out the lines. The folks who restock the empty glasses.  etc.

The act of pouring a beer is so minor that it really doesn't deserve 18% tip on a $7 beer, so I convince myself the tips are for the rest of the team just as much as the guy/gal who pulled a handle for 7 seconds.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The bar back that swaps out the keg.  The bar back / cleaner who cleans out the lines. The folks who restock the empty glasses.  etc.

The act of pouring a beer is so minor that it really doesn't deserve 18% tip on a $7 beer, so I convince myself the tips are for the rest of the team just as much as the guy/gal who pulled a handle for 7 seconds.

Maybe, just maybe we are over analyzing line items on the bill, but that is just me.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Maybe, just maybe we are over analyzing line items on the bill, but that is just me.

Agree.  But when sitting at my average real-world bar, when I see the bartender pour my $7 beer in seven seconds, and I tip them my usual amount, I have some time to consider why I think that is worthwhile.

And when I pour that same size and type of beer at home from my kegerator, and the keg blows, that's where I earn my keep as barback and line cleaner...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Agree.  But when sitting at my average real-world bar, when I see the bartender pour my $7 beer in seven seconds, and I tip them my usual amount, I have some time to consider why I think that is worthwhile.

And when I pour that same size and type of beer at home from my kegerator, and the keg blows, that's where I earn my keep as barback and line cleaner...

Now, that is a problem

Edited by jimbo5544

7 hours ago, bobbyandali said:

I humbly disagree, at least on Carnival

7 hours ago, bobbyandali said:

I also don't see that happening

I'd love to see the industry adopt Virgin's business model where gratuities are included. I don't think it'll happen unless Virgin starts to eat into the incumbents' market share. Right now Virgin's market share is a rounding error compared to the big players.

41 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I'd love to see the industry adopt Virgin's business model where gratuities are included. I don't think it'll happen unless Virgin starts to eat into the incumbents' market share. Right now Virgin's market share is a rounding error compared to the big players.

On their best day, Virgin will still be a niche player. They aren't mass market material 

• Like 1

It really depends on WHERE you buy a mug.

If you buy it in the gift shop there's usually no "service" charge.

If you buy it in a bar or the coffee shop, it's rung up like a drink and is subject to a service charge. Those mugs or cups are usually filled with a drink and they don't waive the "service" charge because you didn't get it filled

Edited by habc
adding

3 minutes ago, habc said:

It really depends on WHERE you buy a mug.

If you buy it in the gift shop there's usually no "service" charge.

If you buy it in a bar or the coffee shop, it's rung up like a drink and is subject to a service charge.

On the Mardi Gras in Dec, the really nice mug (IMHO) that I wanted wasn't available at the Fun Shops, only at the Java coffee joint.