Viking First To Drop Pre-Cruise Testing

The fine print of “Unless” a destination requires it. And most of the Caribbean does require it 

I think Viking wants to make themselves look less restrictive to guests But it’s really the same ole same ole 

• Like 1

I don't believe 'Most' Caribbean islands that cruise ships visit require testing, just a few.

Below is an updated list from June 7, 2022. A couple islands require testing for only unvaccinated, but not many (I think only 2). Best to check back often, but the trend is absolutely going toward less restrictions quickly. Heck, most islands don't even require a vaccination any longer. 

Below are islands that do not require testing: 

Antigua

Barbados

Aruba

Barbuda

Curaco

Dominican Republic

Grenada

Jamaica

Mexico

Puerto Rico

St. Lucia

St. Barts

St Martin

Turks & Caicos

St Croix

St John

St Thomas

https://www.frommers.com/trip-ideas/beach-water-sports/when-can-we-travel-to-mexico-and-the-caribbean-again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaCal said:

The fine print of “Unless” a destination requires it. And most of the Caribbean does require it 

I think Viking wants to make themselves look less restrictive to guests But it’s really the same ole same ole 

you are incorrect

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

More to the point this does not apply to NCL...

The title of the post says "Viking is first"...... that's because other cruise lines will likely follow shortly. I think it's a fair post to have on this forum. This way people can be anticipating this change. What one does the others soon follow. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The title of the post says "Viking is first"...... that's because other cruise lines will likely follow shortly. I think it's a fair post to have on this forum. This way people can be anticipating this change. What one does the others soon follow. 

I wonder.  Viking is different than the mainstream lines in some significant ways, for example still being (at least nominally) 100% vaccinated.  We can argue about the effectiveness of vaccines, but I believe it's still a selling point for many people and could offset hesitation to board an 'untested' ship, and arguably could help mitigate the seriousness of any outbreaks that might arise from abolishing testing.  All that to say that Viking might feel they are better placed to do away with the testing.

18 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I wonder.  Viking is different than the mainstream lines in some significant ways, for example still being (at least nominally) 100% vaccinated.  We can argue about the effectiveness of vaccines, but I believe it's still a selling point for many people and could offset hesitation to board an 'untested' ship, and arguably could help mitigate the seriousness of any outbreaks that might arise from abolishing testing.  All that to say that Viking might feel they are better placed to do away with the testing.

Time will tell.

It is possible vaccination and testing requirements are actually hurting cruise lines too. I'm doubling down on the 'niche market' possibility I proposed at this time last year. NCL stock is approaching single digits. It hasn't been this low since March of 2020. They have to do something to get bodies onboard. 

This is what the stock has done since the first cruise sailed again in the "Great Cruise Comeback".... It's lost 67% of the value (the Dow has lost 11%). The situation is dire.

image.thumb.png.faf874b9688c2071b01454cc7bc887ab.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Time will tell.

It is possible vaccination requirements are actually hurting cruise lines too. I'm doubling down on the 'niche market' possibility I proposed at this time last year. NCL stock is approaching single digits. It hasn't been this low since March of 2020. They have to do something to get bodies onboard. 

I suspect that a vaccination requirement is hurting Viking less than mainstream lines. 

1 minute ago, Karaboudjan said:

I suspect that a vaccination requirement is hurting Viking less than mainstream lines. 

I would agree with that simply because more people in their age demographic are vaccinated. But clearly, Viking believes they will get more consumers by lifting the testing recommendation or they wouldn't have done it. If I recall, they were one of the most strict with testing initially (testing everyday I believe). Somewhere their belief in the effectiveness/necessity of testing changed.

Testing provides a false sense of security. 

Examples:

If you have not been vaccinated you may test 3 days before cruise.

If you have been vaccinated 2 days before cruise.

Why 3 vs 2?

We just got off a cruise where we had to test before the cruise 3 or 2 days.

However. Many people tested Positive after their 7 day cruise.

You travel the day before or day of the cruise. Can you become Positive from someone you traveled with or near?

Regardless if this is not an NCL Cruise ine specific  change, the person who posted was trying to inform us.

Why don't you who find fault because it is not NCL. just read the info and move on?

What value are you adding to the post?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

More to the point this does not apply to NCL...

4 hours ago, njkate said:

Does not apply to US or Canadian ports

Yeah...not sure this has any relevance in the NCL threads.  It has nothing to do with those of us who sail NCL (or Carnival, or Celebrity, or Royal, or MSC, or..........).

Perhaps it should be moved to the Viking threads.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah...not sure this has any relevance in the NCL threads.  It has nothing to do with those of us who sail NCL (or Carnival, or Celebrity, or Royal, or MSC, or..........).

Your opinion. So,  what you think/ opinion, any subject not specifically NCL does not belong on this forum. 

Very narrow minded.

Your opinion. My opinion. SMH!

FYI, I am cruisIng RCI, MSC, NCL and Celebrity this year.  I find this posting very relative to me.and many others.

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Your opinion. So,  what you think/ opinion, any subject not specifically NCL does not belong on this forum. 

Very narrow minded.

Your opinion. My opinion. SMH!

FYI, I am cruisIng RCI, MSC, NCL and Celebrity this year.  I find this posting very relative to me.and many others.

LOL!  

Figures....but you're not cruising Viking, so irrelevant, even for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I find this posting very relative to me.and many others.

Absolutely.  It's a meaningful input to the ongoing discussion "when will NCL lift the test requirement."  I appreciate the OP posting this.  Since "Viking" was clearly indicated in the thread title, those who have no interest can simply move along.....

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

LOL!  

Figures....but you're not cruising Viking, so irrelevant, even for you.

Are you that narrow minded?

Don't you think that this may effect all Cruise Lines?

If you don't like the post, move on.

No one is making you read or reply to it.

OBTW, do you cruise? 

• Like 4

It's no surprise to me that some of the most adamant virtue signalers want this post moved. It's difficult being wrong so often on a subject that you doubled down upon. 

Since the CDC just removed testing for anyone who flies into the USA, it is only a matter of time (likely short) before testing is removed to sail also. Common sense people. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's no surprise to me that some of the most adamant virtue signalers want this post moved. It's difficult being wrong so often on a subject that you doubled down upon. 

Since the CDC just removed testing for anyone who flies into the USA, it is only a matter of time (likely short) before testing is removed to sail also. Common sense people. 

One can hope, I know I am hoping

• Like 6

I know many who want to cruise but are afraid to book because of the testing.

Afraid to pay and plan and take time off work and arrange baby sitters, pet sitters, house sitters and transportation,

Only to have it all snatched away by a (likely asymptomatic) positive result.

Afraid of a policy seemingly designed to destroy the cruising industry and all that depends on it.

This news that someone, anyone, anywhere is dropping this nonsensical requirement?

Absolutely relevant

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 6/14/2022 at 8:57 AM, Colorado Buffalo said:

CDC still requires negative COVID test within 2 days of departures from US ports, and EU European Cruise Protocol stills requires negative COVID test within 3 days of departure from EU ports.  This is aside from specific country entry requirements and self-imposed cruise line requirements.