Contact Tracing and RCCL Excursions

We are on Symphony of the Seas next month and I have a couple of excursions booked through Royal.  Does anyone know how a positive COVID case among the people on the excursion is handled?  Does everyone have to be tested and quarantined for a certain period of time?  I just wonder how this is handled, especially if there is more than one van/bus that transports people during the excursion.  

49 minutes ago, madiaka said:

We are on Symphony of the Seas next month and I have a couple of excursions booked through Royal.  Does anyone know how a positive COVID case among the people on the excursion is handled?  Does everyone have to be tested and quarantined for a certain period of time?  I just wonder how this is handled, especially if there is more than one van/bus that transports people during the excursion.  

Unlikely it would even be caught during the cruise.  It even goes down so far as not knowing which end of the bus the infected passenger sat in relation to everyone else.  They probably won't (at least haven't) contact traced to that degree.

• Like 1

Just now, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Unlikely it would even be caught during the cruise.  It even goes down so far as not knowing which end of the bus the infected passenger sat in relation to everyone else.  They probably won't (at least haven't) contact traced to that degree.

Someone recently posted that this happened to them. They were “contact traced” from someone on their excursion testing positive. The woman tested positive and had to be quarantined but her husband was negative. Agreed that she likely already had it in her system because the two times I had it, I tested negative for a full 5-7 days of exposure/symptoms until it finally showed up positive on a test. Unless you’re on a B2B or a cruise that’s longer than a week, you wouldn’t necessarily test positive yet even if you did catch  it from the person on the excursion. It does make it extra nerve-wracking, though. You “pass” the preboarding test and accept the risk that you may ultimately have it when you get home, but they can still catch you at any time and throw you in the brig, basically.

We are a family of 5 adults, and we are not using any Royal excursions and have booked our own Private/Semi Private tours through Viator.  Trying to lessen the amount of people we spend a lot of time with in close proximity.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I am thinking of canceling and booking my own excursions or not booking any.  I did see the post from the person that was contact traced on the excursion, so I wondered if Royal had a formal policy and how they handled it if 50-100 people are on the same excursion.

3 hours ago, madiaka said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I am thinking of canceling and booking my own excursions or not booking any.  I did see the post from the person that was contact traced on the excursion, so I wondered if Royal had a formal policy and how they handled it if 50-100 people are on the same excursion.

Not sure if it presently apply, but in some ports only Royal sanctioned tours was allowed.

Also, what are the odds. I went on 2 tours on Anthem Easter sail to the Blue Lagoon and the Cape Kennedy excursion and not a problem at all.  Bus and the boat was filled to capacity.

Edited by nelblu

5 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

It just makes me more likely to consider a non-RCI excursion, honestly. 

31 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Simple, just don't take Royal excursions

Kinda silly. 10's of thousands of people go on RCCL shoreex every week. And you want to make a decision on isolated cases. 

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Kinda silly. 10's of thousands of people go on RCCL shoreex every week. And you want to make a decision on isolated cases. 

Why pay more money to add the risk of being thrown in the brig? I don’t see the upside. I give the money to RCI and in return, I supposedly don’t get left behind but I’m reading more stories from people getting contact traced than I am hearing about people being left behind on a Viator excursion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

In reality my decision isn't based on these stories, it is just reinforced.

I have not taken a ship sponsored excursion in close to a decade, I consider it a premium expense for an average experience.  Independently curated excursions, in my opinion, are far more enjoyable, customizable, and economical. 

• Like 1

Been on 2 International trips in 2020, two in 2021 and so far this year 1.  But will go again later this summer.  Been on planes (without a mask both this year and last year (not all international planes required it)). Been on busses, uber, and taxi's and subways.  Been to sporting events and a concert.  Been to theme parks.  Eat out daily for lunch, and sometimes for dinner.  Was on at 3 different ships.  I shake hands, give hugs and often times, around hundreds of kids monthly, that were not vaccinated and no mask.  Have shots, and one booster, which did not actually work, since I also had Covid.  

My only point is, it is time to stop, talking about Covid, and letting it control you.  Taking a private excursion is as likely as getting you Covid, as a bus load of happy tourists.  I do avoid group excursions, but I was doing that for decades.  I enjoy exploring at my pace, and to places I want, but all those on my own areas still come in contact with dozens of people.  

I say let's stop the discussion, and do what you want, but don't let it control you. 

• Like 1