What would you do?

tonit964

I have a 10 day Sapphire cruise with final payment coming up this weekend and would like your opinions on which I should go with. One is an inside Lido deck and one is a Caribe balcony.

I have done an 15 day Hawaii in an inside so I don't mind them but normally sail in balconies. I've never had a Caribe balcony before and always wanted to try one. I do love my balcony time but the cost difference is just under $500 more for the balcony.

I keep going back and forth on each one but probably my biggest concern is if I get sick, it would be so much nicer to have the balcony but then again, I don't know if they would move me to a quarantine area even though I'm solo.

Any thoughts and comments I would appreciate, you all may think of something I haven't. TIA

It's a tough choice.  My wife will not sail with an inside cabin, so it is not a choice I'd have to make.  But the $500 difference is $33 per day.  I personally would give up the balcony (especially if I am solo) for the extra money!  

Most of my balcony time is when I am waiting for my wife to get ready -- every morning and every evening.  If I were solo, that time would be spent in public areas (pool, lounges, Piazza, etc.), not on my balcony.  If I were solo, I doubt I'd spend much (if any) time on the balcony.

One thing I love about an inside is how dark it is when I want to sleep.  I don't have to clip together the drapes in an effort to keep out the daylight.  If I've been playing until 2 a.m., and the sun sneaks in through the crack in the drapes at 7 a.m., oh holy heck!  

Whichever choice you make, have a glorious cruise!

• Like 6

$500 to move from an inside cabin to a balcony for a 10 day cruise sounds like a bargain to me, as the cruises I've been pricing recently have a much larger price margin. 

I'd do it if you'll make use of the balcony - $$$ better spent elsewhere if not - and particularly so if it's a scenic cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed having the balcony for our recent TA through Iceland and the UK - some great pictures and decent videos were taken.

JMO, of course.

• Like 1

I also have been sailing solo. Money is a factor. I booked an inside cabin for my next cruise--16 days to Greenland and back. I'm still waiting for my cabin assignment, but there aren't many cabins showing up as available right now. I'll probably get one of the available forward insides on the Aloha, Baja, or Caribe decks. 

On my last cruise, I got a great deal on a balcony cabin--the same price as an inside cabin. And then I got lucky to be upgraded to a deluxe balcony at the aft. It was a wonderful view, but way too sunny for me during the day. And I did not get to enjoy the balcony as much as I do when my husband has sailed with me. Having a glass of wine together before dinner on the balcony is great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

It's a tough choice.  My wife will not sail with an inside cabin, so it is not a choice I'd have to make.  But the $500 difference is $33 per day.  I personally would give up the balcony (especially if I am solo) for the extra money!  

Most of my balcony time is when I am waiting for my wife to get ready -- every morning and every evening.  If I were solo, that time would be spent in public areas (pool, lounges, Piazza, etc.), not on my balcony.  If I were solo, I doubt I'd spend much (if any) time on the balcony.

One thing I love about an inside is how dark it is when I want to sleep.  I don't have to clip together the drapes in an effort to keep out the daylight.  If I've been playing until 2 a.m., and the sun sneaks in through the crack in the drapes at 7 a.m., oh holy heck!  

Whichever choice you make, have a glorious cruise!

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, venussuz said:

$500 to move from an inside cabin to a balcony for a 10 day cruise sounds like a bargain to me, as the cruises I've been pricing recently have a much larger price margin. 

I'd do it if you'll make use of the balcony - $$$ better spent elsewhere if not - and particularly so if it's a scenic cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed having the balcony for our recent TA through Iceland and the UK - some great pictures and decent videos were taken.

JMO, of course.

Thank you for your input. I do love spending time on the balcony.

8 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I also have been sailing solo. Money is a factor. I booked an inside cabin for my next cruise--16 days to Greenland and back. I'm still waiting for my cabin assignment, but there aren't many cabins showing up as available right now. I'll probably get one of the available forward insides on the Aloha, Baja, or Caribe decks. 

On my last cruise, I got a great deal on a balcony cabin--the same price as an inside cabin. And then I got lucky to be upgraded to a deluxe balcony at the aft. It was a wonderful view, but way too sunny for me during the day. And I did not get to enjoy the balcony as much as I do when my husband has sailed with me. Having a glass of wine together before dinner on the balcony is great. 

That was an awesome deal! Enjoy your cruise and I hope they assign you a great cabin.

I’ve monitored the price of this Sapphire cruise since it’s for sale in March. The balcony price has dropped significantly with minimal solo supplement. I normally booked an inside room but this cruise has 4 sea days with an overnight in Cabo, so having a balcony room would be nice. 

I did Mexican riviera cruise a few times. So this cruise is all about Sapphire Princess. I’ve watched the video reviews and she looks stunning. I think I might like this smaller size over the bigger Royal-class ships. 

• Thanks 1

Since the OP title is "What would you do," I will take that literally:

I take the inside.  The reason being the 4 sea days and the destination.  Better uses for $500 than to stare at water.  Plus if I was solo, I would never be there anyway except to sleep.  And oh, about the sleep:. interior cabin, solo travel.  I can sleep whatever weird hours I want, day or night.  If I was offered a free upgrade to balcony I'd take it; if it was Alaska I'd get the balcony and some binoculars.  But it is neither of those things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We would book an inside close to outside space.

Worked a treat on our Emerald cruise, deck 14 aft out the back door to the pool and outriggers bar 40 second from cabin to drink when open.

Not been busy pretty private a lot of the time and better views than a balcony

On Sapphire I would consider those similar cabins. A740 looks good 

$500 savings for a few mins walk over 10 days.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Worked a treat on our Emerald cruise, deck 14 aft out the back door to the pool and outriggers bar 40 second from cabin to drink when open.

I have a forward Lido Inside currently and considered switching to aft Aloha for the reasons you stated.

On my 15 day Hawaii cruise, i had one of those cabins on the Emerald, Riviera deck, just a few steps to the outrigger area. It was an awesome location.

My biggest concern is if I get sick and have to quarantine, I'd rather not be in an interier cabin. That's when the balcony would come in handy.

52 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

My biggest concern is if I get sick and have to quarantine, I'd rather not be in an interier cabin. That's when the balcony would come in handy.

I understand most if not all of the dedicated quarantine cabins have balconies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

My exact same reasoning.  I am sailing for 12 days on the Diamond in early September.  Although those are two cruises, I did get separate cabins on Aloha deck, A725 and A737.  It was also quite the deal, with no single supplement.  As a solo passenger, I will not be in my cabin often, so the inside will be great.  If it were Alaska, it would be a harder choice!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

I have a forward Lido Inside currently and considered switching to aft Aloha for the reasons you stated.

On my 15 day Hawaii cruise, i had one of those cabins on the Emerald, Riviera deck, just a few steps to the outrigger area. It was an awesome location.

All of the quarantine cabins are balcony cabins.  In the event you test positive for Covid, you would be moved to the quarantine area in a balcony cabin.  That should make your choice easier!

• Like 1

We often book insides.  They tend to be quieter than balconies and we find we sleep better in them.

That said I would not get an inside on the Lido deck since it is under public space, including the gym area.  

As a another note other then being about or below public areas is avoid the insides on the Carib deck on most ship  in the C202 - C211 area.  Those are right over the stage and there is a two story open area used for hold sets and curtains, etc. such that those rooms are basically right over the theater.

24 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Our emerald Riviera cabin is under the outrigger bar 

My favourite bar stool is over the bed area

Can't hear anything when in the cabin

Never booked there so cannot say.

Have booked one of the Caribe rooms over the stage.  Sound was as loud as in the theater, including when the crew played music in the theater at 2am.

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

I just switched my forward lido inside to Aloha aft. Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, toofewcruises said:

All of the quarantine cabins are balcony cabins.  In the event you test positive for Covid, you would be moved to the quarantine area in a balcony cabin.  That should make your choice easier!

It sure did. I'm keeping my inside and can just step out to the aft area with access to bar, loungers, pool & food!

• Like 1