The Return of Arcadia

Travelmadoldie

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Anyone got any clues, predictions etc as to Arcadia's possible itinery after Invergordon?

Hoping to get a sighting of her when I'm in Scotland later this week.

Well Mickey seemed to think that she would return to her original schedule after  Edinburgh which  replaced Lerwick, and Invergordon that replaced Torshavn. So she should now call at Stornoway, Greenock and Holyhead on the way back to Southampton. Seems a stretch to complete that plan in the time remaining but who knows. Exciting times for Arcadia pax

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, arlowood said:

Well Mickey seemed to think that she would return to her original schedule after  Edinburgh which  replaced Lerwick, and Invergordon that replaced Torshavn. So she should now call at Stornoway, Greenock and Holyhead on the way back to Southampton. Seems a stretch to complete that plan in the time remaining but who knows. Exciting times for Arcadia pax

Thanks.  If lucky enough, will try to post a pic.

I was recently on the Arcadia for two weeks 5 - 19 July, the first cruise after her return to service. The cruise had so many problems that it is difficult to even start to list them but here are a few: shambolic freedom dining with folk arriving at 6pm getting seated at 8.30 and not eating till 11pm. This went on for days and days until the pagers were reintroduced. A massive reduction in menu choice, compounded by lack of basic foodstuffs including (would you believe it) no cheese and biscuits AT ALL! Some bars closed the entire cruise, no alternative dining outlets open at all for one to escape to in order to avoid the chaotic dining rooms. For the first few days the two main dining rooms were closed at lunchtime which forced everyone to the only eating area that being the Belvedere, this resulted in total chaos and food running out by 1 o’clock. I asked for a basic salad to accompany my meal rather than having chips chips chips and was told by the chef it be a couple of hours. I think you get the type of thing I am describing. My question is this, has anyone complained to P&O and is it worth complaining? I don’t want to be listed as a moaner but this experience really was dire.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

I was recently on the Arcadia for two weeks 5 - 19 July, the first cruise after her return to service. The cruise had so many problems that it is difficult to even start to list them but here are a few: shambolic freedom dining with folk arriving at 6pm getting seated at 8.30 and not eating till 11pm. This went on for days and days until the pagers were reintroduced. A massive reduction in menu choice, compounded by lack of basic foodstuffs including (would you believe it) no cheese and biscuits AT ALL! Some bars closed the entire cruise, no alternative dining outlets open at all for one to escape to in order to avoid the chaotic dining rooms. For the first few days the two main dining rooms were closed at lunchtime which forced everyone to the only eating area that being the Belvedere, this resulted in total chaos and food running out by 1 o’clock. I asked for a basic salad to accompany my meal rather than having chips chips chips and was told by the chef it be a couple of hours. I think you get the type of thing I am describing. My question is this, has anyone complained to P&O and is it worth complaining? I don’t want to be listed as a moaner but this experience really was dire.

I read of these problems on the other "Return of Arcadia" thread and was feeling a bit concerned about our forthcoming cruise scheduled for 30th August.

@mickey1959 is on the current sailing and I asked specifically what the situation was and if things had improved. He responded by saying that he was on Select Dining and had experienced no problems. Also he was unaware of any particular issues with Freedom Dining.

So on the face of it it would seem that they have got their act together somewhat but time will tell. Maybe they've totally ditched the app-based booking system and gone back to the old pager procedure.

On the current cruise the main issue seems to be sticking to the itinerary - they've missed both Lerwick and Torshavn so far due to weather or "operational" reasons. I'm following to see where the mystery tour takes them.

12 minutes ago, arlowood said:

I read of these problems on the other "Return of Arcadia" thread and was feeling a bit concerned about our forthcoming cruise scheduled for 30th August.

@mickey1959 is on the current sailing and I asked specifically what the situation was and if things had improved. He responded by saying that he was on Select Dining and had experienced no problems. Also he was unaware of any particular issues with Freedom Dining.

So on the face of it it would seem that they have got their act together somewhat but time will tell. Maybe they've totally ditched the app-based booking system and gone back to the old pager procedure.

On the current cruise the main issue seems to be sticking to the itinerary - they've missed both Lerwick and Torshavn so far due to weather or "operational" reasons. I'm following to see where the mystery tour takes them.

Still using the app.

This review does not inspire confidence, we are on Arcadia for a month in September and would hate for this to be the norm for the whole cruise, staffing levels appear to be one issue but running out of food , seriously? And no cheese and biscuits? Well for me that's tantamount to mutiny!!!!

Micky1959 appears to allay some of the dining problems , however it is fair to say that on both our previous cruises on her the freedom dining ( which we use) always incurs a wait of varying times.

Just under six weeks to have sorted the problems before we go so fingers crossed🤞  

• Like 1

I was on 5th July cruise. Dining issues were resolved on day three. Did not notice any closed bars. Yes, speciality restaurants were closed, in common with most other P&O ships. And Cheese and Biscuits have been reintroduced on the present cruise.

I am still on as doing a back to back ….. the East Bar is closed and has not been open since day one. I’m not sure what you mean that specialities restaurants are closed in common with most of the P&O ships …. I have done five on Iona since January and everything has been open.

2 hours ago, Ladycommonsense said:

We are on there now. Not had a problem with Freedom dining but we are with friends and have the same table for 4. Tables for two are in short supply and I heard a lady getting really nasty about it with Maitre'd. 

There have been lots of nice salads in Belvedere at lunchtime and we have had cheese and biscuits every night. Things are getting back to normal. Still problems with the loos though...

• Like 1

I will be really annoyed if speciality restaurants aren’t back open soon on the adults only smaller ships.  It’s severely limiting for people that have opted for freedom dining for this purpose. I can’t see why they have to be sacrificed amongst all the service options that could be cut due to staff shortages.  To my mind that is benefiting select dining passengers at the expense of freedom dining. If I am forced to eat at a buffet at any point I could mutiny! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ladycommonsense said:

I am still on as doing a back to back ….. the East Bar is closed and has not been open since day one. I’m not sure what you mean that specialities restaurants are closed in common with most of the P&O ships …. I have done five on Iona since January and everything has been open.

As you are still on board, it would seem sensible to politely but firmly say that you want to see the Food & Beverage Manager.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Britboys said:

As you are still on board, it would seem sensible to politely but firmly say that you want to see the Food & Beverage Manager.

We have no gripes with the buffet or main Restraunt food choice is good.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

Yes we are on board and we know him very well - If there’s no food and no crew he simply can’t do magic.

But at least it could help future passengers by explaining how this is disappointing to you, requesting this is further conveyed and asking about whether senior management shoreside have any comments etc?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m just looking at my brochure. According to that, Invergordon was on the original itinerary. The next port was due to be Stornoway, so it looks like they are back on schedule 

Welcome back  - have you been "away" ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

But at least it could help future passengers by explaining how this is disappointing to you, requesting this is further conveyed and asking about whether senior management shoreside have any comments etc?

I'm guessing he probably knows that already !

• Haha 1

Wonder if all these adverse comments on Arcadia are the reason for the reduction in prices on forthcoming cruises. Lack of uptake perhaps. My cruise next week is now half the price I paid (Grrrrr! ) and believe some good offers on September ones too.

• Like 1