Volume onboard

I think society in general has become louder ... and a part of it is the weird habit so many people have of wearing ear buds all the time.  That is, people have become accustomed to life + music, so life has to become louder to account for the music.  

It drives me crazy when my students come up to ask me a question and are wearing ear buds.  If you want my help /time /whatever, give me the courtesy of your full attention. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Wonder how many have actually complained the volume was too low at venues and announcements?  😉

Looks like the cruise lines are trying to attract a younger age demographic, as shown by the models in their video and print advertisements.  This would also explain why food is now often "charred", which is popular with some/many millenials.  Burnt steaks, overdone croissants...  🙃

Just now, rudeney said:

I wonder what would happen if you actually complained at the time to the person in charge of the sound mixing that it was too loud?  

When we sailed on Oasis immediately after the amplification, the music on deck 17 was unbearable.  It was also unbelievably loud in Central Park.  We complained to our Genie who came up to the suite to check it out.  She brought the Cruise Director with her and they both agreed that it was unsat.  Some time later that day, they did something...not quite sure what it was...but the noise level came down considerably.  Still too loud for my taste but waaay better than it had been. Not sure if the "fix" was a permanent one or if they just did it to appease us on that one cruise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mpk said:

Looks like the cruise lines are trying to attract a younger age demographic, as shown by the models in their video and print advertisements.  This would also explain why food is now often "charred", which is popular with some/many millenials.  Burnt steaks, overdone croissants...  🙃

And they wonder why their hearing is gone by the time they reach their 30s.  😮 

Hearing aid companies are loving the new generation.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

May I ask everyone's ages? I have really good hearing and music never really bothers me (unless it is bad :P). I am 50.

My wife and I are a bit older than you, but we still both enjoy a good live concert.  We just don't enjoy loud music and noise during a nice meal or having conversations with others. 

• Like 3

The levels haven't increased...but the proximity of venues to guest staterooms has changed A LOT.  The "neighbourhood" concept has also increased the noise throughout the ships. If you looked at older ships (MJ/MN are prime examples) you'd notice that ALL entertainment venues were stacked on top of each other, at the back of the ship (including the crew bar). That was always known (by everyone) as a really solid design, and there were hardly any noise complaints, from anyone. However, these days, the bean counters want guests always walking past shops from venue to venue, so things are all over the place.  On QN class ships, the Music Hall is surrounded by cabins (guest and crew) on 4 sides (left/right/up/down) and there are nightly noise complaints.  Nothing has gotten louder though...it's just that they're putting people closer to venues to make more $$$.

Edited by miraflores

1 hour ago, mpk said:

I found that my musical Etymotic earplugs are fine for show as well as conversations.  These lower the volume (evenly across the spectrum to maintain music quality), but do not block out sound completely.  One airline pilot wrote in a review that they work great for blocking the air noise and engine buzz, but still able to converse with the copilot and navigator.

I'll certainly look into those, then.  I've been looking for something that actually worked to that effect.  Thanks for the heads-up.

4 hours ago, drjohn4 said:

Was on Odyssey last week and they had the sound up so loud in the main theater for both of the shows that I went to that it washed out a lot of the tone in the singers' voices.  Not to mention being uncomfortable and bad for the audience's hearing.

And as long as people sit there and take it, nothing will change. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Yes, understood but it is probably one of the main reasons. 

DH worked in power plants.  Even with hearing protection...over the years....it still killed his hearing.  Me, I worked in quiet environments.  We are the same age.  I have great hearing (sometimes too good) and his is shot.  

Over the years, exposure to an ear drum killing environment...will kill your hearing.  Kids in these loud night clubs, listening to very loud ear splitting music all the time.  What do you think that is doing to their hearing?  The ear drums can only take so much...then it's time to shut down.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, island lady said:

DH worked in power plants.  Even with hearing protection...over the years....it still killed his hearing.  Me, I worked in quiet environments.  We are the same age.  I have great hearing (sometimes too good) and his is shot.  

Over the years, exposure to an ear drum killing environment...will kill your hearing.  Kids in these loud night clubs, listening to very loud ear splitting music all the time.  What do you think that is doing to their hearing?  The ear drums can only take so much...then it's time to shut down.  

I have a sound level meter app on my phone, and while not NIOSH certified, it will give me a good ballpark on the decibel levels.  Most amplified production shows run around 125 dB or more.  The Caribbean band on the Melanoma deck is about the same.  

It's interesting that the cruise industry is scared to death of the CDC when it comes to covid but ignore completely their hearing loss recommendations.

What Noises Cause Hearing Loss? | NCEH | CDC

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have a sound level meter app on my phone, and while not NIOSH certified, it will give me a good ballpark on the decibel levels.  Most amplified production shows run around 125 dB or more.  The Caribbean band on the Melanoma deck is about the same.  

LOL!!   😂

Yeah, I avoid that deck for both reasons...tired of getting cut on (so far just Basel luckily) and the loud band is ear shattering there as well.  Worst was Odyssey IMHO.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, island lady said:

Very true

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mpk said:

This is the first time I’ve ever heard “millennials like burnt food” as a stereotype and I’m a millennial

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

And in my experience, it's too loud without my aids.  😲

Totally agree. I just purchased foam triple disc sound reducers. The service killed my hearing in my right ear almost totally. My left ear I use a hearing aid. Removing it and the music is still too loud. Hopefully these will help. My wife hears very good and wants to try them also.