COVID question

Do some searching to make sure I'm right but pretty sure the magic number is 10 days from getting positive Covid test. After that I believe you can get a Certificate of Recovery from your doctor.

Make sure the positive test was PCR and not rapid antigen or one of the at home ones.

Edited by Colorado Buffalo
  • Like 1

I tested negative (using an Antigen test) 6 days after testing positive. I'd say your chances are great! Make sure you are testing negative with a home antigen test BEFORE taking the official cruise test. DO NOT test using a PCR test. This may have a false positive  result. 

You might be fine, just don't take a pcr test for boarding. Rapid test should be negative within a week or so for most people.

However, if you take a PCR test now, you can ask for a letter of recovery from your doctor and you can use that for boarding in most places.  Details in the testing FAQs .

Edited by julig22

7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Order or grab some home tests and test every day in about 7 days. Nobody here knows the true answer to your question.  

Actually, someone should not be showing positive on an antigen test after 17 days.  On a PCR they may (so don't take that one!)  But Antigen shows positive for roughly a week.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I tested negative (using an Antigen test) 6 days after testing positive. I'd say your chances are great! Make sure you are testing negative with a home antigen test BEFORE taking the official cruise test. DO NOT test using a PCR test. This may have a false positive  result. 

Well, we (party of 4) tested negative after 11-13 days after we tested positive after our March cruise.

PCR tests are more sensitive - they test positive on the ONSET of the virus in tour body, often a few days before the antigen, and continues to test positive even after you test negative on antigen. So you are not correct about the False Positive on PCR tests - they are more accurate than the antigen ones.

Two friends of mine went to London in December for the New Year on vacation. They took pre-departure PCR tests - negative for the flight, okay. A few days into the vacation one felt awful so they took own antigen tests - both positive. So they isolated themselves in hotel room. After a week, took antigen - still positive. Then after a few days later they tested negative! But at that time Bermuda needed negative PCR tests for the return .... so they went out to have PCR tests - positive! So they stayed another week in London! They finally came back to Bermuda 2 weeks later than their expected return date! 

17 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

and continues to test positive even after you test negative on antigen.

Sorry, I did not express myself correctly - THIS 👆 is exactly what I meant to say. The OP should use the antigen test for her/his cruise test rather than the PCR because after having COVID people may test positive even though they are no longer contagious. 

• Like 1

When our group returned from the Joy cruise in early May, some of us home tested positive on Antigen Rapid ... My vaxxed & double boosted BIL with mild symptoms belonging to a high risk category and went to his PCP, prescribed anti-viral Rx and subsequently he Antigen tested negative in about 5 days, much quicker than the SIL in about 7 or 8 days (asymptomatic.) & wasn't taking anti-viral.  It took DW and myself more than 12 days to come up with Antigen negative on our home swab, but it remained positive at Day #8 and Day #10 - good thing we had a good stockpile of free home testing kits.  

USPS will offering to ship 8 free tests (round #3) per household address - and free home test kits as qualified & available from one's own health plan ... stockpile & restock them as appropriate ... BA.5 and BA.5 subvariants are here in the metro NY/NJ/CT area with rising numbers, skewed by home testing results not being shared, reported & documented by public health compiling the data.   Deja vu all over again, perhaps and maybe, not - another cruise coming up soon for us, now that we are back from a 8 days trip to Canada & back last week (with few masking in close public quarters) and home tested clear & negative. 

Hopefully, OP are insured for travel.  

Your question is answered in the second item in the FAQ on the sail-safe page - 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

• Individuals that test positive within 90 days of their scheduled embarkation date are exempted from the pre-arrival testing.
  • They must have one of the below acceptable forms of COVID-19 Recovery (dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US) & 180 days (EU) before the date of embarkation) available during check-in.
    • For European Citizens, this would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate. 
    • For all others unable to present an EU Green Pass (i.e., US Citizens) a doctor’s note, plus a laboratory-confirmed PCR test result with the proper information (i.e., Name, Date, Date of Birth, Positive Result, etc.)
      • COVID-19 Recovery must be dated no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days (US embarkation) & 180 days (EU embarkation), documentation must be available during check-in.
  • Bermuda government does not allow certificate of recovery in lieu of negative test result.
2 hours ago, julig22 said:

However, if you take a PCR test now, you can ask for a letter of recovery from your doctor and you can use that for boarding in most places.

It appears the OP is going to Bermuda (per their difficult-to-read forum signature), per the info I posted above the COR is NOT acceptable.

1 minute ago, hallux said:

It appears the OP is going to Bermuda (per their difficult-to-read forum signature), per the info I posted above the COR is NOT acceptable.

Exactly why I specified in most places because I didn't know their destination.😉