Coco Cay in November?

Sailing on the Freedom in late November and wondering about the weather in Coco Cay. Thinking about getting a cabana but hubby is worried that it will be too chilly. Anyone have any feedback on that time of year?

November Climate & Weather Averages in Berry Islands

High Temp: 83 °F

Low Temp: 71 °F

Mean Temp: 77 °F

Precipitation: 0.91"

Humidity: 76%

Dew Point: 68 °F

Wind: 9 mph

Pressure: 30.03 "Hg

Visibility: 8 mi

That's where Cococay is if that wasn't clear.

Edited by OCSC Mike

34 minutes ago, kandpsmom said:

Sailing on the Freedom in late November and wondering about the weather in Coco Cay. Thinking about getting a cabana but hubby is worried that it will be too chilly. Anyone have any feedback on that time of year?

Depends on where you're from, of course.  Some Floridians will find it too cold, and there are some who will think it's perfectly comfortable.  🙂

We were there this past Nov/Dec.   Air temp was okay and water (pool - didn't go in ocean) was cold.  In fact, our first stop on the first leg of our b2b, there was only one person in the pool until around 2 pm.   For the stop on the second leg, we stayed on the ship and it was also warm.  Several people said water was cold.  Our experience in the Bahamas in late fall and into spring is while it may be warm outside, the water isn't.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flamingos said:

Depends on where you're from, of course.  Some Floridians will find it too cold, and there are some who will think it's perfectly comfortable.  🙂

Considering the weather in the Bahamas is basically the same as Florida, it shouldn't be a surprise to them.

I was in the Bahamas in December and it was quite warm.  Warmer than I expected.  The forecast high was 83 and I was concerned that it might fall just short of ideal beach heat but I'm pretty sure it got to 85-86 and the sun just hits harder down there (at least for this guy from Pittsburgh) so it was pretty much ideal.  Water was definitely on the chilly side but nothing you couldn't get used to relatively quickly.  This was Princess Cays, not far from Coco Cay but only comparable for weather/beach/ocean - no pools.

More of a roll of the dice at that time of year but it's certainly still quite likely to be hot enough for a beach day.  I feel like "cold" would be a strong word but even the low end of the temp range, but it's all relative.

1 hour ago, BND said:

Considering the weather in the Bahamas is basically the same as Florida, it shouldn't be a surprise to them.

I'm never surprised, but it's too cold to go in the water here as well.  🙂

It really depends on the hurricane season, and whether a system has come through to stir up the water and cool it down.  Last year we had that nor'easter at the beginning of November and the water never warmed up again.

We sailed over Thanksgiving once -- years ago.  We were in the Bahamas, though not specifically Coco Cay.  It was definitely too cold to swim.  Onboard, my then-elementary-school daughter was literally the only person in the pool, and her teeth were chattering -- but she wanted to swim so badly.  I was chilly wearing shorts /sitting in a deck chair supervising her.  

Two points about these facts: 

- Thanksgiving is LATE November.  Early November could be different. 

- People -- crew included, and they'd know better -- said it was an unusually cold season.  

• Like 1

We were there last November and it was a windy day that was a bit overcast, but we were never "chilly" even though we're from FL and "chilly" for us happens quickly! We went again a few weeks later in December and the weather was perfect! Nice and sunny, not too windy, not super hot but definitely a good beach temperature. 

Edited by vanesssss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thanksgiving is LATE November. 

we usually cruise on Thanksgiving and March-April (spring break). I don't remember such chilly water in the Bahamas in November ever before last November. Even this June the water was somewhat chilly in Aruba, Labadee and Curacao. Nassau's water in March 2016 was also cold.

I do remember it being cold in Labadee on one of our previous visits.

Ocean was cold in Aruba last November, and if it was cold in Aruba where the temperature supposedly never changes, then it's definitely probably cold in the Bahamas.

By "cold" I mean that I could get in and float around for a good 15 or 20 minutes before needing to get out and warm up, but it was tolerable enough. I get cold easily though, and prefer to be in the Caribbean during summertime.

I'll be doing a November cruise this year and not expecting to enjoy the ocean much, as it's a western Caribbean cruise and not a southern one.