LAFFNVEGAS Live From the 7 Day Viking Sagas On Board the MS Rotterdam 7/10/22

LAFFNVEGAS

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

After dinner tonight we watched the band playing in the Rolling Stone Rock Room

That is two nights in a row you have mentioned Rolling Stone Rock Room, but no mention of BBKings 😱  Are they not playing?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

we had an invitation to a Mariner Reception for 3, 4 and 5 star Mariners.

I wonder if this is the reception that is held during embarkation day on Caribbean cruises.  Officers have never been present, but, the CD or a staff member of his/her department is to welcome/speak with the guests.  The Mariner Recognition event is more formal and more selective because of the usual number of Mariners aboard that are "high days".  

Whatever.  Just another example of the inconsistency of the HAL cruising experience from one cruise to another that has been ongoing for some time.  If you can find the HD, maybe a good question to ask him/her is "what was this about and why weren't you present as a Senior Officer"?  

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I don’t think acoustics are good in the Dining Room

It depends on where the table is located.  Getting a table in the small alcoves on the lower MDR level when nearby tables are occupied:  challenging to hear across a table of 6 or 8.

14 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

we had an invitation to a Mariner Reception for 3, 4 and 5 star Mariners.

I wonder if this is the reception that is held during embarkation day on Caribbean cruises.  Officers have never been present, but, the CD or a staff member of his/her department is to welcome/speak with the guests.  The Mariner Recognition event is more formal and more selective because of the usual number of Mariners aboard that are "high days".  

Whatever.  Just another example of the inconsistency of the HAL cruising experience from one cruise to another that has been ongoing for some time.  If you can find the HD, maybe a good question to ask him/her is "what was this about and why weren't you present as a Senior Officer"?  

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I don’t think acoustics are good in the Dining Room

It depends on where the table is located.  Getting a table in the small alcoves on the lower MDR level when nearby tables are occupied:  challenging to hear across a table of 6 or 8.

19 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@rkacruiserif you ask the officers where they were for sure they would say they had other commitments.  They aren’t going to say they don’t want to mix with the unwashed.

That's likely and, it's likely it is true particularly for some ranks.  But, such an occasion ought to require the attendance of the HD and the Guest Relations Manager.  Maybe the Event Manager on the CD's staff? 

I wonder who the HD is.  When such failures have taken place in the past, it is my experience that it is the HD who is ultimately responsible and what his/her priorities are for such interactions with the guests.  Particularly those of the 3-4-5 Star Mariner classification.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That's likely and, it's likely it is true particularly for some ranks.  But, such an occasion ought to require the attendance of the HD and the Guest Relations Manager.  Maybe the Event Manager on the CD's staff? 

I wonder who the HD is.  When such failures have taken place in the past, it is my experience that it is the HD who is ultimately responsible and what his/her priorities are for such interactions with the guests.  Particularly those of the 3-4-5 Star Mariner classification.  

I never made it to the welcome aboard Mariner party but I did go to an upper level Mariner party on the koningsdam.  The officers were at that one.  I was encouraged to get my picture taken with the captain as well.  I’m weird about stuff like that so I didn’t but thought it was nice for those that do like it.

• Like 1

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

I never made it to the welcome aboard Mariner party but I did go to an upper level Mariner party on the koningsdam.  The officers were at that one.  I was encouraged to get my picture taken with the captain as well.  I’m weird about stuff like that so I didn’t but thought it was nice for those that do like it.

I try to attend both and enjoy both experiences because it gives me another chance to meet fellow Mariners of like mind.  The report of only peanuts being served with the drinks is a shame.  Whatever happened to mixed nuts?  Or, canapes?  Goldfish available?  

HAL is in competition with several cruise lines.  No surprise there.  If MSC can serve at a CC Roll Call party canapes with caviar, smoked salmon, etc., why ought that type of quality not be served to HAL's most loyal Mariners?  

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I try to attend both and enjoy both experiences because it gives me another chance to meet fellow Mariners of like mind.  The report of only peanuts being served with the drinks is a shame.  Whatever happened to mixed nuts?  Or, canapes?  Goldfish available?  

HAL is in competition with several cruise lines.  No surprise there.  If MSC can serve at a CC Roll Call party canapes with caviar, smoked salmon, etc., why ought that type of quality not be served to HAL's most loyal Mariners?  

There was just drinks, no food.  I don’t mind because I usually don’t snack between meals.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That is two nights in a row you have mentioned Rolling Stone Rock Room, but no mention of BBKings 😱  Are they not playing?

They are playing and it is packed, they sound good but we tend to like the Rock and Roll music a bit better. But will do one night at BB Kong if we can get a Table

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

They are playing and it is packed, they sound good but we tend to like the Rock and Roll music a bit better. But will do one night at BB Kong if we can get a Table

I had hoped that would be your reply!

Thanks

• Like 2

@LAFFNVEGAS: Hi - I would like to ask you if you could try to get some information for me: We were at Nieuw Statendam and my sister-in-law was excited about the water glasses they have there (especially at the Dutch cafe). I tried to find the manufacturer - but could not find any imprint or engraving. It would be incredibly kind if you could ask if anyone can tell you the manufacturer.  Thanks a lot!

The underwhelming Mariner reception on your cruise may be in part due to the focus of the HD/CD on the large Dutch passenger mix, who tend not to be high star mariners. On my Rotterdam sailing, I didn't see much of the CD outside of scheduled activities on the main stage either. But she probably was interacting with the Dutch passengers more, understandably.  Crew service was just as outstanding for us American passengers, but the ship activities did seem to have a different vibe with the Dutch crowd. The ship was still hopping at 11 PM, for example, and the Orange party was super-crowded in BB King (I didn't hang around long due to the large mask-less crowd as masks weren't mandatory on my sailing). However, applause reactions were slightly more reserved in the main stage, even though the stage was almost full every night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

If you have a chance, can you find out who is playing in the Billboard Onboard?

Thank you

Good Evening from the Holland America Line Rotterdam. For all my friends in North America it is currently 8:39 as I am writing this. Today made day 7 since we left home for our travels and have to say I am getting tired. It’s been prett much go go go. We decided to take it a bit easy today. This morning we had breakfast in the Main Dining Room, then I had a massage and facial in the spa at 9:30 that was excellent. My massage therapist was Mary who was excellent. 
I booked a return 90 minute massage for Fri morning.
After my spa treatments we got off the ship and did some walking around the port and then decided to just head back and have lunch at NY Deli on Deck 10 then went down to 9 and had gelato. OMG this was our first time to try the gelato, never got around to it on Inaugural Koningsdam. It was wonderful. I am lactose intolerant and sometimes splurge but know I will suffer later but oddly it barely bothered me so that was a win win. For those wondering I had the Espresso Chip and Pistachio and Tom Chocolate and Strawberry. 

We then headed back to our cabin and decided to take a 2 hour nap. That was my downfall, I am now tired and did not feel like doing much else tonight. We did have reservations at Canaletto which was actually the best I have had of the few times over the years I had dined their. I had the Tuesday special of Short Ribs with Cheesy Polenta. 

During dinner was scenic cruising of Oslo Fjords but actually I am glad we did not cancel Canaletto thinking we would be missing a lot. We could see things fine from the windows in Canaletto and actually it looked very auto Alaska, especially Sitka area.
After dinner returned to relax and I could get caught up on emails and write up my review of the day.
Tomorrow is Kristiansand Norway. The plan is that the 5 of us after breakfast in the main dining room will then explore this small Norwegian town. We were originally to have an excursion of Cruising the Norwegian Archipelago but it had been canceled. 

I guess I will sign off for tonight I will leave you with some pictures of today.

E79F5D0A-F2EC-47B3-92DF-991996DF1F99.jpeg

71B5165F-9E89-45A6-AF55-D72B28B0DDE4.jpeg

A0211BDF-6569-4758-A82C-ACBC9AFD5CD4.jpeg

848314E8-4AD6-466B-9A89-34D1EAB2FC77.jpeg

93B13C02-F4E6-4EB1-AA60-FE5CB2297800.jpeg

A49212D3-20F7-41ED-B601-117A718991B3.jpeg

06107FA9-A692-41E4-9008-83888BD1B6A4.jpeg

08DF8996-BF8F-4503-9342-918D329DF20E.jpeg

3AEB5B24-C051-4AF7-90CA-53C719D20F3F.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Evening from the Holland America Line Rotterdam. For all my friends in North America it is currently 8:39 as I am writing this. Today made day 7 since we left home for our travels and have to say I am getting tired. It’s been prett much go go go. We decided to take it a bit easy today. This morning we had breakfast in the Main Dining Room, then I had a massage and facial in the spa at 9:30 that was excellent. My massage therapist was Mary who was excellent. 
I booked a return 90 minute massage for Fri morning.
After my spa treatments we got off the ship and did some walking around the port and then decided to just head back and have lunch at NY Deli on Deck 10 then went down to 9 and had gelato. OMG this was our first time to try the gelato, never got around to it on Inaugural Koningsdam. It was wonderful. I am lactose intolerant and sometimes splurge but know I will suffer later but oddly it barely bothered me so that was a win win. For those wondering I had the Espresso Chip and Pistachio and Tom Chocolate and Strawberry. 

We then headed back to our cabin and decided to take a 2 hour nap. That was my downfall, I am now tired and did not feel like doing much else tonight. We did have reservations at Canaletto which was actually the best I have had of the few times over the years I had dined their. I had the Tuesday special of Short Ribs with Cheesy Polenta. 

During dinner was scenic cruising of Oslo Fjords but actually I am glad we did not cancel Canaletto thinking we would be missing a lot. We could see things fine from the windows in Canaletto and actually it looked very auto Alaska, especially Sitka area.
After dinner returned to relax and I could get caught up on emails and write up my review of the day.
Tomorrow is Kristiansand Norway. The plan is that the 5 of us after breakfast in the main dining room will then explore this small Norwegian town. We were originally to have an excursion of Cruising the Norwegian Archipelago but it had been canceled. 

I guess I will sign off for tonight I will leave you with some pictures of today.

E79F5D0A-F2EC-47B3-92DF-991996DF1F99.jpeg

71B5165F-9E89-45A6-AF55-D72B28B0DDE4.jpeg

A0211BDF-6569-4758-A82C-ACBC9AFD5CD4.jpeg

848314E8-4AD6-466B-9A89-34D1EAB2FC77.jpeg

93B13C02-F4E6-4EB1-AA60-FE5CB2297800.jpeg

A49212D3-20F7-41ED-B601-117A718991B3.jpeg

06107FA9-A692-41E4-9008-83888BD1B6A4.jpeg

08DF8996-BF8F-4503-9342-918D329DF20E.jpeg

3AEB5B24-C051-4AF7-90CA-53C719D20F3F.jpeg

Thank you for the great reporting and beautiful pictures!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I had a massage and facial in the spa at 9:30 that was excellent.

If available at the Spa, I would recommend that your husband might enjoy a mini-facial and a shave.  My first one was on the Eurodam in January, 2020.  It was wonderful!  Afterwards, a lady whom I met just afterwards said "Your face is glowing".  I booked a second one and it was just as pleasant.  

• Like 2

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your reports!  Your pictures are great...it does look like Sitka.  We discovered Gelato on the Hawaii/Koningsdam cruise in February.  Espresso chip and Pistachio were my favorites , sweetened by the fact that we got a mariner "loyalty discount!"  I wrote to HAL and hope they will incorporate it on Vista Class ships.  Looking forward to more reports!

Karen

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:16 PM, Sunshineliving said:

If you have a chance, can you find out who is playing in the Billboard Onboard?

Thank you

Unfortunately no where have they listed the name of who is performing there and tonight he was not there. Instead they were hat the band at the Rolling Stone Rock Room play 4 45 minute sets.