Thanks for screwing up our trip from the start, NCL

AllenO

We're booked on the NCL Jewel from Seward AK, to Vancouver BC on August 1 and had booked our air on NCL's "Premium Air Service" in order to assure we'd make it in time to ride the Alaskan Railway from Ankorage to the port in Seward.   The excursion page for the train trip even says " Guests have the option to book their flights through our Premium Air Department to ensure that flight arrival times do not interfere with this transfer. "   Thinking we had done everything according to their requirements, we found out we won't get into Ankorage until an hour after the train departs.   Had we known they would screw us over like this we would have left a day earlier but it's too late now to make that change either.  Moral of the story: Don't believe what they say or what is written on their website. Once they get your money you are completely at their whim.  Last time for an NCL cruise.

Yes, This is NOT an NCL issue.  You have no recourse with them over this one. However, if you purchased travel insurance you would be able to compensated under most polices. Or check with the CC company you used to pay for the flights. Some do have built in insurance. Give it a shot. Good luck...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AllenO said:

We're booked on the NCL Jewel from Seward AK, to Vancouver BC on August 1 and had booked our air on NCL's "Premium Air Service" in order to assure we'd make it in time to ride the Alaskan Railway from Ankorage to the port in Seward.   The excursion page for the train trip even says " Guests have the option to book their flights through our Premium Air Department to ensure that flight arrival times do not interfere with this transfer. "   Thinking we had done everything according to their requirements, we found out we won't get into Ankorage until an hour after the train departs.   Had we known they would screw us over like this we would have left a day earlier but it's too late now to make that change either.  Moral of the story: Don't believe what they say or what is written on their website. Once they get your money you are completely at their whim.  Last time for an NCL cruise.

Just to be clear.

Did you book air through the Premium Air Department, OR did you book air as part of the Free at Sea promotion attached to your booking?

41 minutes ago, AllenO said:

So, you need to contact NCL to resolve, not your cruise critic friends. You can not keep your current flights. There is no easy way to get from anchorage to Seward. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Just to be clear.

Did you book air through the Premium Air Department, OR did you book air as part of the Free at Sea promotion attached to your booking?

They literally said they did in their opening line.

• Like 1

The airlines are so unreliable now you have to fly in at least the day before. Can’t blame NCL, they have no control over the airlines’ schedule. I’m sorry you had to learn the hard way. Took us 3 days to get to Iceland last month. Luckily we were flying in 5 days early.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Often, especially on CC, what people "say" and what people "do" don't line up. I'd like for the OP to provide clarification since there are contradictions in their story IF they booked thru Premium Air vs the Free at Sea air promo

1 minute ago, LaCal said:

If it’s not till August 1st why’s it to late to change and go a day early? 

I suppose that would fix things…sounds too easy, nothing to complain about then. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

From the NCL website's Premium Air page:

"The types of customized flight itinerary requests handled by the Premium Air Service Desk are date deviations, nonstop service, specific airline, specific flights or specific departure time, stopovers, upgrades to business or first class and gateways not offered in the Air Sea program. Guests from different gateways traveling in the same stateroom who wish to arrive/depart at the same time, or meet at a connecting point should also utilize the Premium Air Service Desk, as well as guests traveling as part of a group who wish to travel together."

So why would the OP say that it is "too late" to make changes? Under Premium Air it would NOT be too late, however, if they actually booked air via the Free at Sea promotion, then it would be too late (and the guaranties associated with Premium Air would not apply).

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

From the NCL website's Premium Air page:

"The types of customized flight itinerary requests handled by the Premium Air Service Desk are date deviations, nonstop service, specific airline, specific flights or specific departure time, stopovers, upgrades to business or first class and gateways not offered in the Air Sea program. Guests from different gateways traveling in the same stateroom who wish to arrive/depart at the same time, or meet at a connecting point should also utilize the Premium Air Service Desk, as well as guests traveling as part of a group who wish to travel together."

So why would the OP say that it is "too late" to make changes? Under Premium Air it would NOT be too late, however, if they actually booked air via the Free at Sea promotion, then it would be too late (and the guaranties associated with Premium Air would not apply).

Why are you telling me? Did I say otherwise? Weird!

Edited by ziggyuk

45 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Why are you telling me? Did I say otherwise? Weird!

Because your post (#7) was the indication that you didn't understand the relevance of the question I posed...to the OP. Now you do (weird as that may seem).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AllenO said:

It gets even better than the screw ups they've done so far.  We are one of three couples traveling together and our reservations are all linked since we made reservations.  We and one other couple are scheduled to arrive an hour after the train departs.  The other couple is scheduled to arrive TWO DAYS before embarkation.   I could understand a few hours but TWO DAYS?!?!?!?!?

Just when I think they could not screw this up any more, they manage to outdo themselves. 

14 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I doubt the OP will be back, classic hit and run.

Still hear...amazing how people who only half read things can try to make it somebody elses fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

this is not NCL fault. complain to the air line for changing the flight times. Airlines is struggling this year with lots of flight cancelations and other delays 

The airlines did not change a thing.  NCL simply screwed up the reservations, split up our "linked" party by two days and then tried to say we didn't book correctly.   On the phone currently for hours getting cut off and transferred from one supervisor to the next.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Flying in a day early is the bare minimum these days, lesson learned.  

Yes, my fault for not doing that and trusting that they would catch that.  Currently we are still trying to figure out how they split up our "linked" reservations so some of us arrive two days early.

5 hours ago, pokerguy90 said:

Yes, This is NOT an. NCL issue.  You have no recourse with them over this one. However, if you purchased travel insurance you would be able to compensated under most polices. Or check with the CC company you used to pay for the flights. Some do have built in insurance. Give it a shot. Good luck...

Yes, we purchased the travel insurance.  However, this is not covered.  NCL has  graciously allowed us to cancel the train excursion and ride the bus from Ankorage to Seward.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So, you need to contact NCL to resolve, not your cruise critic friends. You can not keep your current flights. There is no easy way to get from anchorage to Seward. 

I have been on the phone with NCL for hours.  Don't you think I know "cruise critic friends" have no power to do anything?  Trying to let people know that once they have your money, customer-no-service is the rule.

• Like 1

I hope things work out.  Anchorage is worth exploring if you do arrive one or two days before embarkation day.

The Jewel is a wonderful ship with a fabulous management team and crew.  Best wishes for an enjoyable cruise (once the transportation hassle is sorted!)

If it helps, I really liked the bus ride from Anchorage to Seward.  Take snacks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllenO said:

It gets even better than the screw ups they've done so far.  We are one of three couples traveling together and our reservations are all linked since we made reservations.  We and one other couple are scheduled to arrive an hour after the train departs.  The other couple is scheduled to arrive TWO DAYS before embarkation.   I could understand a few hours but TWO DAYS?!?!?!?!?

Just when I think they could not screw this up any more, they manage to outdo themselves. 

See...here is another example showing misunderstanding and/or a lack of information...NCL does NOT link reservations.

16 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

See...here is another example showing misunderstanding and/or a lack of information...NCL does NOT link reservations.

Yes they do! Or at least I hope they do!  We have linked reservations for 4 cabins paid for by different people who live in different cities.  Maybe I had better check with my travel agent to make sure.  

Just now, hoopslover said:

Yes they do! Or at least I hope they do!  We have linked reservations for 4 cabins paid for by different people who live in different cities.  Maybe I had better check with my travel agent to make sure.