2 staterooms for 3yo and 1 yo?

Koali

We are looking at a RCI cruise for next year and wondering if we need 2 rooms for our family of 4. Our 1 yo will sleep in a pack and play and the 3 (will be 4 at the time of cruise) will sleep on the couch bed. Is there even enough room in a balcony room on Anthem of the Seas? Last time we cruised with just the older one when she was 1 and we did an ocean view on NCL. We asked them to take out the extra furniture and waS able to fit the pack and play in without blocking the space to the bathroom. We are wondering if we need 2 connecting rooms. I had looked at a junior suite but the price was more than 2 balcony rooms and it didn’t seem like you get any more perks. 

11 hours ago, Koali said:

We are looking at a RCI cruise for next year and wondering if we need 2 rooms for our family of 4.

no, of course, not at that age. When they are in their teens - yeah, I'd look into that.

If you are going to be in a balcony room, the sofa bed will most likely be by the balcony door and it will be a trundle bed:

20211121_145943.thumb.jpg.184344a06aacc714d9827a640b9668cc.jpg

this is a single sofa bed:

20211124_200543.thumb.jpg.eabbe2a344c113802aa84cc93cbe1513.jpg

since you are going to have a cabin for 4, the bed will be a trundle bed. Your youngest may not even need a pack and play:

1524998526_anthemsofabed.thumb.jpg.f5d148bc0fedaba0ffc783b6012002ef.jpg

found another photo:

Does Harmony not have Pullman beds (balcony cabin)? - Royal Caribbean  International - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if it was not clear, the kids would not be sleeping in the other room by themselves. We would each take 1 child in each room. 

but I am asking if 1 room would fit the pack n play and have space for the older one to sleep on the couch bed. It doesn’t look like there is any other place to put the pack and play other than between the couch and desk, but then we would have no access to the bathroom/door once he is sleeping. We are thinking 2 connecting rooms so we can still hang out in the other room or access the outside door when the youngest goes to bed. But if there is sufficient room for all of us in 1 room, it would be nice to save some money 

Edited by Koali

9 minutes ago, Koali said:

Sorry if it was not clear, the kids would not be sleeping in the other room by themselves. We would each take 1 child in each room. 

imho, totally unnecessary at that age. Especially, if you can score Kids Sail Free.

And yes, there is space for a pack and play. See photos above.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

16 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

imho, totally unnecessary at that age. Especially, if you can score Kids Sail Free.

And yes, there is space for a pack and play. See photos above.

Thank you for the photos! This helps visualize it more and if the sofa bed is by the balcony that’s better for us. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Koali said:

Thank you for the photos! This helps visualize it more and if the sofa bed is by the balcony that’s better for us. 

by the way, if the balcony cabin is for 2, the sofa may be by the balcony or by the bathroom. Not sure about Q class, but somewhere on this RCI forum there is a formula which allows you to calculate where the sofa will be. However, I believe, if the balcony cabin is for 3-4 people, the sofa will be by the balcony (extra space is needed to make it into a bed).

I’d stick with one room for kids that small. We started getting 2 rooms when the kids were 6 and 8. It was nice since they had their own bathroom. The cabins were connecting which was nice. 
we did cram all 4 of us in a cabin when they were 5 and 7. They loved the beds that hung from the ceiling. But it was tight for all of us.

Hi! We’re cruising RCI next month and we went for two adjoining cabins with our two kids 7 and 3. I almost lost it in one cabin with the two of them last time when they were 11 months and 4 at the time. Kinda depends on your level of comfort with all the stuff in such a small space. I told my husband NEVER again unless we did two cabins or a larger setup! I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the extra space. Especially with the dang pack n play.

2 hours ago, SEN1978 said:

Hi! We’re cruising RCI next month and we went for two adjoining cabins with our two kids 7 and 3. I almost lost it in one cabin with the two of them last time when they were 11 months and 4 at the time. Kinda depends on your level of comfort with all the stuff in such a small space. I told my husband NEVER again unless we did two cabins or a larger setup! I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the extra space. Especially with the dang pack n play.

Adjoining or connecting?

We were on anthem of the seas with a 2 and 3 year old, 2 year old was in a pack and play still. We had 2 connecting rooms, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. It’s really no different than them sleeping in another room at home, and you can keep the connecting door open so you can hear them, get to them, etc. But having that extra space to relax, watch tv, or read without worrying if the kids would wake up is priceless. And with the pack and play out, there’s really no floor space, it’s super cramped. I actually felt like the balcony on Anthem was the most cramped rooms we’ve been on. The rooms felt long, but really narrow. If your budget allows for it, get connecting rooms. Lately we’ve been doing connecting ocean views, and it comes out to be about the price of a balcony (sometimes). We don’t typically sit on  the balcony much, so I don’t miss it. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 2:26 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

no, of course, not at that age. When they are in their teens - yeah, I'd look into that.

If you are going to be in a balcony room, the sofa bed will most likely be by the balcony door and it will be a trundle bed:

20211121_145943.thumb.jpg.184344a06aacc714d9827a640b9668cc.jpg

this is a single sofa bed:

20211124_200543.thumb.jpg.eabbe2a344c113802aa84cc93cbe1513.jpg

since you are going to have a cabin for 4, the bed will be a trundle bed. Your youngest may not even need a pack and play:

1524998526_anthemsofabed.thumb.jpg.f5d148bc0fedaba0ffc783b6012002ef.jpg

found another photo:

Does Harmony not have Pullman beds (balcony cabin)? - Royal Caribbean  International - Cruise Critic Community

Curious if all rooms for 3 have this type of set up. Would the room steward make up just the trundle for a younger child or do they have a simple rail for just the couch bed made up?

45 minutes ago, BLAMBKY said:

Curious if all rooms for 3 have this type of set up. Would the room steward make up just the trundle for a younger child or do they have a simple rail for just the couch bed made up?

a cabin for 3 may have a single sofa, without the trundle part, imho. I'd use a chair to prop up the bed.

Also, the type of a sofa depends on the ship. On Harmony we were in 9546, and it had a single sofa bed (see pic with a moose above) which was wide enough for an adult to sleep on. It's a 4 person occupancy cabin, so it could have had a trundle bed inside the sofa, but we never found out.

On the Allure, we were able to book a cabin with occupancy 4 for just the three of us (cabin 8546), and the sofa bed was a double (not a trundle). Takes up too much space.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d65b9880892e79af7280070f0ec00a3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...