Bringing beer on board

Riverroad

Does anyone know if O allows passengers to bring beer on board at embarkation? Asking for a friend who has the basic drink package but would like to have beer in his cabin to enjoy on his veranda between lunch and dinner. He told me read that wine was ok but not beer.

Here is the published Alcohol Policy (8/25/20) which only discusses wine. So, this is the "contractual language" they can choose to enforce or not.

While on our 12/13-23/21 W. Caribbean cruise on Riviera I brought my 6 bottles of wine on board at embarkation. And later brought on board beer, hard liquor and wine from day excursions. I could hear them talking about what they saw from their scanner in the bag I brought back on, though I made sure it was wrapped up and in a carry-on container so you couldn't visually see it. But they never did anything. Just let me walk on board. I didn't drink anything outside of my room.

What is your alcohol policy for bringing bottles on board? – Oceania Cruises (zendesk.com)

• Thanks 1

Oceania allows all type of alcohol to be brought onboard at embarkation and at ports for consumption in your room.  They do allow taking a bottle of wine to a dining venue where they charge a $25.00 corkage fee and will store your wine for future drinking at any dining venue, if you do not finish the bottle.

1 hour ago, reposado said:

My guess he'll have no problems bringing beers on board but at the same time if he can afford Oceania he can probably afford just to buy a beer on the ship. 

The problem is that the beer offerings are very basic. With the plethora of craft beers in the world today most people are looking for more interesting beers than what they offer. I personally only like one or two they carry. So someone might want to bring their own favorites on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORV said:

The problem is that the beer offerings are very basic. With the plethora of craft beers in the world today most people are looking for more interesting beers than what they offer. I personally only like one or two they carry. So someone might want to bring their own favorites on. 

ORV, do you know what the beer offerings are? Maybe they’re something our friend would be happy with.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Fair enough. Looks to me they carry a fairly good selection of beers but then my knowledge of beer is slim. 

1 hour ago, Riverroad said:

ORV, do you know what the beer offerings are? Maybe they’re something our friend would be happy with.

Here you go, this is from a cruise on Riviera in Nov of 21. Thanks to Mike for his detailed info. 

Riviera Menus (thepreismans.com)

There are a few beers there I could drink, but for the most part would prefer not to. 

• Haha 1

This is one of my most common annoyances on Oceania.  For a line that markets itself as the best cuisine at sea (and rightly so) how hard would it be to do a deal with a couple of the many terrific craft beer companies operating in the States to have a selection of genuinely appealing beers on board instead of the usual array of bland lagers you can find on any other line.  I will give a pass to the Lagunitas IPA which is passably good but on longer sailings (which we mostly do) is always out of stock after about 12 days.

• Like 2

If you can get by with the beer offerings  then just upgrade to the Prestige package  for $20 PP PD  then you can have beer anytime

If not  then bring some for your cabin or should I say your friend could bring  a reasonable amount for the cabin 🙂

Pick up some in ports along the route

When I read these posts about bringing drinks on board I am quite amazed , cant believe people go on these cruises and are so mean about spending money in the bar, comments like I don’t drink outside my cabin , they appear so proud of the fact they don’t spend any other money and God forbid they have lunch or have a drink whilst ashore, and contribute to the local economy , shock horror definitely not , quite honestly where is the enjoyment in sitting in your cabin and having a drink just to save a few quid.. If you can’t afford to cruise then stay at home. 
I fully appreciate if people want to try wines tgst are not available to them at home , but misers I can’t stand.
Bah humbug 

Edited by Rosroz

some people may want to bring something they enjoy rather  do without

We will bring something for DH to have a nightcap in the cabin

but we also will buy a drink or two  at dinner or the bars

YMMV

On 7/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, reposado said:

My guess he'll have no problems bringing beers on board but at the same time if he can afford Oceania he can probably afford just to buy a beer on the ship. 

He’s bringing it to enjoy in his cabin, just as people do with wine and alcohol they bring aboard.    I know that if I’m relaxing in my cabin or on my balcony that I wouldn’t want to have to run to a bar to get a a beer.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rosroz said:

Can’t abide meanness 

Not sure what you are saying here but your post #15 comes off as rather mean and judgmental. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rosroz said:

...can't believe people go on these cruises and are so mean about spending money in the bar, comments like I don’t drink outside my cabin , they appear so proud of the fact they don’t spend any other money and God forbid they have lunch or have a drink whilst ashore, and contribute to the local economy , shock horror definitely not , quite honestly where is the enjoyment in sitting in your cabin and having a drink just to save a few quid...

For me, I'd rather SPEND the money I SAVED on something more important, so on Riviera in 12/21 in the W. Caribbean I bought a beautiful RAF Red Arrows Citizen Eco-Drive watch and a purse & wallet for my wife from the Boutique on board. And I BOUGHT beer, hard liquor and wine on the local economies (Guatemala, Honduras, & Mexico), along with a nice lunch with beer in Belize City, bringing the alcohol on board for consumption on my veranda at night enjoying the waves, including bringing some of it back home, too.

Money is fungible. What I don't spend on overpriced alcohol on board (all for O's profit at my expense!), I can spend elsewhere, which I did.

• Like 1