Male Massage Therapists?

Surfguyxxx

Does Celebrity have or use male therapists for massages at all while cruising?  I've been sailing Royal for a while and they do not at all. Their spa services are farmed out to Steiner but didn't know if Celebrity uses them too.  

Actually I once met a male therapist when I toured the spa. It turned out that he was German (as we are) so we talked for a while. He was a German phyisotherapist and wanted to explore the world by working on a ship.

steamboats

20 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Celebrity has gone back to Steiner. Too bad imo.

You say that like Steiner is a bad thing.  My first cruise on Celebrity is this September.  Have used spa treatments on Princess, Holland, and Royal.  Now I am not sure I want to use the spa on Celebrity.

I have been getting massages - and other spa treatments - on Princess and Celebrity for the past 20+ years and have never had a male massage therapist aboard ship, but have had almost universally excellent massages. In fact, last August on the Summit I made the mistake of "judging a book by its cover" when this tiny little Filipino woman introduced herself as my massage therapist and I found myself doubting whether she would be able to give me the deep tissue massage I was hoping for. Boy was I wrong! She was fantastic!

The only bad part is the inevitable sales pitch at the end, but that happens at every spa on every ship.

37 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Celebrity has gone back to Steiner. Too bad imo.

Do you know when this was? I've had excellent massages on the Reflection in March and, as mentioned above, on the Summit last August, among many other times over the years.

Just now, Jeremiah1212 said:

They have only used females for the past several years. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 8.30.14 AM.png

In black and white; thanks.  I guess I was thinking of Princess cruises years ago where you could request a male.  Don't even know if they do it anymore as it's been 10 years or more since I've sailed with them.  Thank you all for your prompt replies.  

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

You say that like Steiner is a bad thing.  My first cruise on Celebrity is this September.  Have used spa treatments on Princess, Holland, and Royal.  Now I am not sure I want to use the spa on Celebrity.

There is a hard sell to buy spa products. I was subjected to one pitch pre-massage and another before I was handed my bill. Not very relaxing! I suggest asking the masseuse to skip the sales pitch. Perhaps also include the spa manager in that conversation. The massage itself on Silhouette was fine. Expensive compared to land massages, but we had lots of OBC.

• Like 1

“Do you know when this was? I've had excellent massages on the Reflection in March and, as mentioned above, on the Summit last August, among manyother times over the years.”

It was Steiner on Silhouette last January. 

2 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

There is a hard sell to buy spa products. I was subjected to one pitch pre-massage and another before I was handed my bill. Not very relaxing! I suggest asking the masseuse to skip the sales pitch. Perhaps also include the spa manager in that conversation. The massage itself on Silhouette was fine. Expensive compared to land massages, but we had lots of OBC.

That is the problem with any spa.  Even my local land based Burke Williams does that.  On HAL at the begining of the treatment I told them I was not buying any products and after the treatment they started on their pitch so I reminded them I was not interested in buying products.  She kept pushing and pushing until I said, "what part of I am not buying any products is difficult to understand?"

• Haha 1

I used to feel I was being rude by not listening but no more. The language barrier can be a problem too. I told the masseuse in January that I wasn’t interested in buying anything, but then she just started her pitch all over! 

26 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I used to feel I was being rude by not listening but no more. The language barrier can be a problem too. I told the masseuse in January that I wasn’t interested in buying anything, but then she just started her pitch all over! 

I've been there, unfortunately.  Also, her spiel is coming out of your 50 minute massage  😲