Cruise industry under Investigation

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe they want to add new segments about the current COVID outbreak on the Coral Princess to bring their scarey doco up to date.

Maybe.

I'd rather watch the doghouse anyway much more uplifting 🐶

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Does zero sugar tonic have artificial sweetener instead of sugar? If so, depending on the sweetener it may not be as healthy as you think.

That artificial sweetener is horrible, hate that diet coke and pepsi, tried it once, went down the sink. I have regular coke with my bundy rum. Also regular schweppes dry ginger with my bells scotch.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That artificial sweetener is horrible, hate that diet coke and pepsi, tried it once, went down the sink. I have regular coke with my bundy rum. Also regular schweppes dry ginger with my bells scotch.

I agree with you re artificial sweeteners. I avoid them like the plague - or in these times should I say "avoid them like COVID"? 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joejoe 59 said:

Yep the show has definitely disappeared.  We have Myway showing at 7.30 & RBT at 8.30.

Maybe they have be warned of legal action.

My Way is on 7.30 till 8.30 follow by cruise under investigation 

this is channel 9 Brisbane 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Most "diet' soft drinks use aspartame which, apart from tasting horrible, gives me migraines. Regular soft drinks for me as well but I don't drink them very often. The occasional G&T, maybe a ginger ale, and lemonade for making quick scones.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

14 minutes ago, rkmw said:

My Way is on 7.30 till 8.30 follow by cruise under investigation 

this is channel 9 Brisbane 

RBT is on now on C9 so they’ve cancelled cruise under investigation show

21 minutes ago, rkmw said:

RBT is on now on C9 so they’ve cancelled cruise under investigation show

They may have actually been sensible for once since there is nothing to investigate re Covid.

Now if they want to do an investigation about Princess not delivering what they promised under their Plus fare they might actually have a story. The Plus drinks package is supposed to include 25 wines by the glass. It has 9! And mostly poor quality ones at that! 

1 hour ago, andlep said:

I was hoping media bites would do a story on this.

A bit of reasoning and perspective. The media story in itself is news that needs to be told, but doesn't need all that clickbait BS hyperbole.

Yes, who put her on the telly again? Fancy telling one of the main media culprits that it is a media beat-up. Looks like she has saved Australian cruising again, despite all the challenges of the Varroa mite. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 7:59 PM, gbenjo said:

Chanel Nine 7:30 pm Thursday night 14th July . Under Investigation….the cruise industry ( not sure if just Australia or worldwide)    Lets hope for some accurate reporting..not just more of the usual.🤞 

Was it worth watchng? I doubt it and that is probably why it was cancelled.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Was it worth watchng? I doubt it and that is probably why it was cancelled.

Out of curiosity, I rang Nine and the girl said she was not sure exactly  why  but was a last minute “ technicality”  but that it probably  would be shown at a later date.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I found it on Youtube when I was surfing later on in the evening.  It was newly uploaded.  It was Liz Hayes and it was a 60 minutes "Under Investigation" report.  A total waste of time.  Nothing to do with the Coral Princess but all about suspicious deaths, brawling and alcohol plus the Dianne Brimble death 20 years ago.  Her husband was one of the guests plus some NSW politician who had written a book some years ago (can't remember the name of the guy or book - something about Waters) and some guy from Canada who was an expert on goodness knows what plus a lady from the NSW uni who was expert in law etc.

There was one guy with a cruise association who was slightly pro-cruising but it was 4 to 1 against plus Liz Hayes.  Main topic was that when you leave Australian waters there is no Law applicable because Australian or Federal police are not on board and so the cruise lines don't care and always put profits before safety on board.  Bad things happen.  Rapes, robberies and suspicious deaths which are not investigated.  It mentioned the death of an entertainer in Darwin who was found dead on board.  The coroner ruled that she had some very rare problem.  However the ship dumped her on land and left straight away thereby denying the opportunity for a full investigation to take place.   Insinuating that the cruise line was hiding the truth!!!!!

I tried to find it on the 60 minutes website but guess what - it is not there.  They must have pulled it.  Just a fluke that I saw it last night.

It was very similar to a program which I saw 2 years ago.  I think that they will update it and include the Coral Princess story and any other newsworthy rubbish they can think of.  I did see a shot of Emma (Emma Cruises) enjoying a cruise and also what I think was a shot of Ben (Ben and David) being tested for COVID for one of their embarkations.  I wonder if they know that footage taken from their videos has been hijacked by the program.

I didn't intend to watch it but when I saw it on Youtube I couldn't help myself!!!!  Should of made a cuppa and gone to bed. Waste of time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ondine said:

I found it on Youtube when I was surfing later on in the evening.  It was newly uploaded.  It was Liz Hayes and it was a 60 minutes "Under Investigation" report.  A total waste of time.  Nothing to do with the Coral Princess but all about suspicious deaths, brawling and alcohol plus the Dianne Brimble death 20 years ago.  Her husband was one of the guests plus some NSW politician who had written a book some years ago (can't remember the name of the guy or book - something about Waters) and some guy from Canada who was an expert on goodness knows what plus a lady from the NSW uni who was expert in law etc.

There was one guy with a cruise association who was slightly pro-cruising but it was 4 to 1 against plus Liz Hayes.  Main topic was that when you leave Australian waters there is no Law applicable because Australian or Federal police are not on board and so the cruise lines don't care and always put profits before safety on board.  Bad things happen.  Rapes, robberies and suspicious deaths which are not investigated.  It mentioned the death of an entertainer in Darwin who was found dead on board.  The coroner ruled that she had some very rare problem.  However the ship dumped her on land and left straight away thereby denying the opportunity for a full investigation to take place.   Insinuating that the cruise line was hiding the truth!!!!!

I tried to find it on the 60 minutes website but guess what - it is not there.  They must have pulled it.  Just a fluke that I saw it last night.

It was very similar to a program which I saw 2 years ago.  I think that they will update it and include the Coral Princess story and any other newsworthy rubbish they can think of.  I did see a shot of Emma (Emma Cruises) enjoying a cruise and also what I think was a shot of Ben (Ben and David) being tested for COVID for one of their embarkations.  I wonder if they know that footage taken from their videos has been hijacked by the program.

I didn't intend to watch it but when I saw it on Youtube I couldn't help myself!!!!  Should of made a cuppa and gone to bed. Waste of time.

Are you sure it was not the 60 minutes beat up from two years ago, cannot see how  a program, about the return of cruising to Australia and  not released to the public as yet could get onto Youtube. 

• Like 3

Unless i have missed it?

Gone very quiet on the Coral Princess story? Maybe the entire ship is in lockdown and has COVID and seriously ill so no one to report the desperate situation on board as that’s how some of the commercial media were trying to report it!!!!

OR

Princess is following all protocols and controlling the outbreak in the recommended way and it’s actually no worse than any outbreak at a workplace, School or shopping centre! Everyone is following the rules and masking up but it’s cruising as normal with some passengers and crew in isolation cabins.

Either way looks like the horror story (Ratings and revenue winner!) and “investigation” they seemed to be yearning for has not materialised so they have moved on?

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Are you sure it was not the 60 minutes beat up from two years ago, cannot see how  a program, about the return of cruising to Australia and  not released to the public as yet could get onto Youtube. 

Possibly?

with a few additions? 

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

It was definitely the program that was supposed to go to air.  I just happened to flick over to Youtube on my TV and it had just been uploaded 15 minutes prior.  My guess is that someone forgot to tell the technician who uploads programs each day that this one had been cancelled.  It was removed by the next morning.  It had the U I (Under Investigation) emblem embeded on the left side and I think these programs were started in March 2021.

I looked at the 60 Minutes program from 2 years ago and some of it was included but then the program was expanded to fill 45-50 minutes.  The same gist of cruising on the high seas is not safe and you could be robbed/molested/killed/pushed or jump or fall overboard and the shipping companies don't care.  Pointing out that cruise companies have failed to  install "man overboard technology" that was recommended some time ago after some inquiry.

There was footage of Pacific Explorer entering Sydney Harbour with the "We're Back" sign so had been recently re-edited for the purpose of showing when cruising resumes here and something happens.  I don't recall it mentioning Coral Princess so maybe that is why they pulled it so they could add more details to make it more sensational.  Had I known they were going to take it down I would have made some notes but as it is I only have what I can remember.

Making a big deal of ships being registered in "third world countries" to avoid scrutiny and enable them to do as they like.  Claims they only have to report crimes to the country of registration who only have one official to take care of this.  Mmmm  I was watching "Don" last night and he was commenting on the banning of brawling passengers over in the USA and he stated that all crimes on ships departing USA ports have to be reported to the FBI. 

However they showed flags flying on the mast and surprise one of the flags was the Red Ensign so it must have been UK registered.  Mmmmmm  Probably Pacific Explorer.  They haven't got a clue.

Another sequence was of the brawl around 4 years ago on Carnival Legend (from Melb) and again reporting flags of convenience and then showing the Maltese flag.  Legend is registered in Malta.  I don't consider Malta a third world country.

It was a pathetic program both in content and production wise.  I am sure they will update it and re-release it with horror stories of people being banned from leaving the "Virus Riddled ship" - (SMH words) when the next outbreak occurs. 

• Like 2

Using ports of convenience for registration is not about avoiding scrutiny for any misdemeanours aboard, but about the costs of compliance for the ship itself, cost of inspection, and the cost of crewing the ship. One of many significant reasons why P&O Australia doesn't register ships here - paying the staff on Australian awards and Australian/state taxes. It would be nice, but many of us couldn't afford to cruise on an Aussie flagged ship.

Even in a worst case, I guess they had to mention Ms Brimble. Sure, there were some serious mistakes made in cleaning the crime scene, but the "men of interest" were answerable to an Australian court.

Regardless of country of registration, SOLAS has authority over all ships, and all of the major cruise lines are signatories to it.

They make it sound like a video extension of the crooze brooze (altered name) website. While the legal profession in the US can be referred to as ambulance chasers, those guys are ship chasers, drumming up business for the lawyer firm that sponsors them. I wonder if Under Investigation has support from someone looking to put together a class action? 

• Like 1