Balcony Guarantee Horror Stories

3 hours ago, sowhat said:

You're very lucky,  we have been always informed that a change of cabin location would change  the booking from gty to named

I think we are talking about changing cabins AFTER the GTY cabin assignment. With a North American booking, you can contact TA/RCI, don't mention you had a a GTY booking and move to a different cabin in the same exact category without any cost.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Like most things cruise-related, it's all personal preference.

I don't care much about my cabin and often book interior GTY's to save money since it's just a place to sleep, shower, and change to me. On my upcoming B2B, I got one undesirable location on deck 3 and one perfectly OK location on deck 6 (by my own preferences of course).

I was just about to text my TA to move the deck 3 for free to a better location when I happened to win a small RoyalUp to a promenade view. Then I moved my deck 6 to a higher deck just b/c I could and we tend to spend more time on the higher decks.

Totally understandable why others value their cabin type and location more than I do. Everyone has different preferences and it's great to have so many options.

Agree about personal preference- however if you cannot sleep then that is a problem.  I am a light sleeper and if I don't have enough sleep- it will ruin my cruise.  However, some very young people can sleep through a hurricane- lucky them!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Agree about personal preference- however if you cannot sleep then that is a problem.  I am a light sleeper and if I don't have enough sleep- it will ruin my cruise.  However, some very young people can sleep through a hurricane- lucky them!

I hear ya; that's more like personal preference not by choice but rather necessity.

42 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think we are talking about changing cabins AFTER the GTY cabin assignment. With a North American booking, you can contact TA/RCI, don't mention you had a a GTY booking and move to a different cabin in the same exact category without any cost.

After booking gty cabin, allocated  cabin 11655  on Wonder , ask to be moved to cabin 11635.  Informed  that would be extra charge  because  of picking a cabin number , thus changing from gty to named.

9 minutes ago, sowhat said:

After booking gty cabin, allocated  cabin 11655  on Wonder , ask to be moved to cabin 11635.  Informed  that would be extra charge  because  of picking a cabin number , thus changing from gty to named.

Others have reported being told that on initial calls, but with subsequent calls being allowed - again, this is on a US booking, other markets are much more difficult. 

My TA had no trouble moving my cabin after it was officially assigned about a week ago. Indy 7/18 out of PC.

It is supposed to be allowed in the US as long as it's the same exact category.

25 minutes ago, sowhat said:

UK rules are different from those on this side of the pond.

Booked last night, haven't gotten a cabin assigned yet.  I also haven't received any Royal Up offer emails.  I wonder if I missed the upgrade opportunities as my sailing is inside of 30 days.

15 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I am curious of which balconies on a ship are so bad 

That when you got the location

It was considered a "Horror Story"??

When you get a deck 6 obstructed balcony on Anthem... I'd rather have an inside than this view!

ANTHEM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ace1zoe2 said:

When you get a deck 6 obstructed balcony on Anthem... I'd rather have an inside than this view!

ANTHEM.jpg

AFAIK, you can not e assigned this balcony unless you have opted to do GTY in obstructed view balcony,

2 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

AFAIK, you can not e assigned this balcony unless you have opted to do GTY in obstructed view balcony,

Any balcony guarantee or Royal Up bid includes any balcony on the ship... you definitely could get stuck with this view 😞 on certain ship classes.

Edited by ace1zoe2
added info

15 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Any balcony guarantee or Royal Up bid includes any balcony on the ship... you definitely could get stuck with this view 😞 on certain ship classes.

Oasis class does, at times, offer various balcony guarantees (Central Park, Boardwalk, Oceanview).  While they're not usually offered at royalcaribbean.com, they are offered on cruisingpower (TA booking site).

Also, IIRC, Royal UP is specific regarding Balcony upgrades.

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Oasis class does, at times, offer various balcony guarantees (Central Park, Boardwalk, Oceanview).  While they're not usually offered at royalcaribbean.com, they are offered on cruisingpower (TA booking site).

Also, IIRC, Royal UP is specific regarding Balcony upgrades.

Yes, true you can choose type of balcony guarantee when they are offered. And RU you can choose type of balcony. My point was any OV Balcony Guarantee or RU could end up with this type of view.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:47 PM, Lupush said:

Howdy All,

I primarily cruise NCL and book my plans well in advance.  I am looking at a last minute cruise with my Son on Freedom of the Seas on 8/8, and am about to pull the trigger on a Balcony Guarantee Stateroom.  This would be the first time I've ever booked a cabin without knowing the location in advance, and was hoping to hear if anyone has any horror stories (or positive experiences) to share.  Thank You in advance for your help!

We always select the cabin we want and refuse upgrades. Cabin Crawls are a great way to check out specific cabins without any risk.

Most cruises we have booked and  picked the balcony cabin we wanted.  However, we have done 3 cruises with GTY.  Two were on Symphony and we got one on deck 11 mid ship with large balcony, one was on Deck 12 Aft.  Worked out great those two times.  The third will be Voyager coming in Sept but was not assigned yet.  We booked it a few weeks ago when GTY were the only balcony options left. 

• Like 1

I had a balcony gty for my upcoming Alaska cruise on the Quantum...and then started worrying about the obstructed views (on a Caribbean I wouldn't care so much personally). Then I read about some being right over the smoking sections as well. NOPE. I paid to pick a specific cabin number. Worth it to pay what was thankfully only a little over $200.

I fully agree that if you are worried or it would ruin your cruise, don't get a gty. This will only be my second balcony ever but the more I spent on the trip, the more I wanted to make sure it would be worth it. I am also wanting to get my boyfriend hooked on travelling LOL. 

• Like 1

I booked a GTY room for an August cruise on oasis. On my setsail pass it says GTY for stateroom but has assigned me deck 11.  Does this mean whatever room I have will be on deck 11 or is this simply a place holder?

I became picky about my stateroom location after I had a room under the running/pool deck on a ship. Never again, I select my exact room! But some are more carefree than I and I'm slightly envious of those individuals, on occasion.

1 hour ago, tsixr said:

I booked a GTY room for an August cruise on oasis. On my setsail pass it says GTY for stateroom but has assigned me deck 11.  Does this mean whatever room I have will be on deck 11 or is this simply a place holder?

There are exceptions but it means you’re on deck 11.

Add the set sail pass to your apple wallet (if you use Apple devices) or scan the bar code with another device. You will see numbers under the bar code. The numbers after the dash are your exact cabin number.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, Another_Critic said:

I've booked oceanview or oceanview balcony guarantees.  Boarded the ship and ended up with a parking lot view.  😲 

Parking lot view in the ocean? 

• Haha 2