Balcony Guarantee Horror Stories

33 minutes ago, nferr said:

Parking lot view in the ocean? 

"Boarded the ship"  Translation:  When I boarded the ship and looked out the window / balcony, I had a view of the parking lot.  And in some ports, that was also the case.

And to further the disappointment, I ordered a Portside punch, and they made me a Starboard punch.

Yes, it's a joke.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

"Boarded the ship"  Translation:  When I boarded the ship and looked out the window / balcony, I had a view of the parking lot.  And in some ports, that was also the case.

And to further the disappointment, I ordered a Portside punch, and they made me a Starboard punch.

Yes, it's a joke.

I hope so lol.  I thought it was sarcasm 🙃

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2022 at 4:28 AM, Another_Critic said:

I've booked oceanview or oceanview balcony guarantees.  Boarded the ship and ended up with a parking lot view.  😲 

Embarked  a ship in Miami,  Guest at guest services complaining  that his cabin , Royal Suite  was over looking the terminal
He requested  the ship should  be turned  around for a better view whilst in port.

• Haha 6

Pull up the deck plan websites and look at balconies on decks below the pool deck/public venues and also look at the balconies on the lowest decks just above interior bars/dining/etc.  This will give you an idea of how many potentially bad cabins there are and if the risk is worth the cost savings to you. Pay attention to the promenade deck and if it is wider than the hotel structure.  figure out your WORST possible location and if you are Ok with it.  There's so much activity and sports stuff on Freedom that, personally, I wouldn't want to be right under pool deck anywhere.   

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

There are exceptions but it means you’re on deck 11.

Add the set sail pass to your apple wallet (if you use Apple devices) or scan the bar code with another device. You will see numbers under the bar code. The numbers after the dash are your exact cabin number.

Thanks! Added to my Apple wallet and it worked like a charm. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:48 AM, sowhat said:

After booking gty cabin, allocated  cabin 11655  on Wonder , ask to be moved to cabin 11635.  Informed  that would be extra charge  because  of picking a cabin number , thus changing from gty to named.

That happened to my sister-in-law.

We have booked gty cabins & gotten the cabin assignment anywhere from immediately to actually once, not until we got to the pier.

Worst was a run of the ship gty.  Our cabin was right over the anchor chain.

On Balcony ones... we have gotten blocked views & handicapped cabins.

On 7/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, Lupush said:

Howdy All,

I primarily cruise NCL and book my plans well in advance.  I am looking at a last minute cruise with my Son on Freedom of the Seas on 8/8, and am about to pull the trigger on a Balcony Guarantee Stateroom.  This would be the first time I've ever booked a cabin without knowing the location in advance, and was hoping to hear if anyone has any horror stories (or positive experiences) to share.  Thank You in advance for your help!

I would be fine (and done them) on any ships but Oasis class. Just have to go into it knowing you could get a great location or  a bad one… I personally won’t book one unless I can save more than a couple hundred per person.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:01 PM, CruisingHogFan said:

I would be fine (and done them) on any ships but Oasis class. Just have to go into it knowing you could get a great location or  a bad one… I personally won’t book one unless I can save more than a couple hundred per person.

We have balcony guarantee for the first time on a Artic Circle TA 17 night cruise on the Jewel of the Seas August 2023 because it was a replacement offered by RCCL for a cancelled cruise on the Serenade our really low price moved to the Jewel. Our price is about $2500 compared to if we tried to book it now  with a guarantee balcony at about $5500.  Pretty sure we can be happy no matter what.

When I booked my balcony, I didn't know what room I'd get.  I'm on the deck 7 on Enchantment of the Seas.  I hope it's unobstructed.  It looks like the theatre and centrum is on deck 6.  This will be my first time sailing with a balcony.

1 hour ago, moposh said:

When I booked my balcony, I didn't know what room I'd get.  I'm on the deck 7 on Enchantment of the Seas.  I hope it's unobstructed.  It looks like the theatre and centrum is on deck 6.  This will be my first time sailing with a balcony.

Theatre is deck 5 (main floor) and 6 (balcony).  Centrum is deck 4 and opened to deck 10.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, matj2000 said:

Horror Story

Think the balcony staterooms below Deck 11 on FoTS. While the staff clean the deck all night long, they move chairs across the deck right above you and make a ton of noise while you're sleeping

On 7/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, Shippy said:

We have booked gty cabins & gotten the cabin assignment anywhere from immediately to actually once, not until we got to the pier.

Worst was a run of the ship gty.  Our cabin was right over the anchor chain.

On Balcony ones... we have gotten blocked views & handicapped cabins.

We had this happen on our second ever cruise. Booked an OV guarantee and were over the anchor chain. Never booked a guarantee cabin again. 

On 7/22/2022 at 10:01 PM, CruisingHogFan said:

I have booked quite a few balcony guarantees on Oasis class.  The difference with Oasis class is one must know if one is booking neighborhood gty (XN) or oceanview gty(XB).  If one books XN, you should expect either a boardwalk or a Central Park balcony.  We have received and enjoyed both with XN bookings. Though we enjoy them, not everyone likes these cabins.  If Boardwalk and/or Central Park balconies don’t appeal to you, be sure to book XB not XN…and do not book online.

To my knowledge there are no badly obstructed oceanview balconies on Oasis class.  The biggest concerns people express about Oasis XB is being placed under pool deck or locations too close/too far from elevators…stars concerns for any gty.  
I am waiting for a XB assignment for Harmony now. We are flexible and not very noise sensitive, so we will be fine with pretty much any cabin.  I do have favorites decks and will ask to swap if a cabin I like better is available.

3 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I do have favorites decks and will ask to swap if a cabin I like better is available.

This is exactly how we treat our GTY's. I was recently fine with my assignment but one in a location I really liked was available so we switched.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

This is exactly how we treat our GTY's. I was recently fine with my assignment but one in a location I really liked was available so we switched.

Yes, and by allowing such swaps sometimes they make multiple parties happy.  For example, that just fine cabin assignment you gave up when you swapped may be the location I (or some other cruiser) really wanted on that cruise.  Often I want to be on a favorite deck, but  on other cruises I’d snap up a cabin on a different deck because it was near travel companions.  It is a pity they do not allow people in all markets to enjoy this flexibility.