40 percent off - what a joke

EllieinNJ

31 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So you're tracking the pricing for exactly one reservation and using that as a basis to make broad generalizations about NCL's (allegedly) deceptive pricing practices?  I must have just hallucinated those three actual/documented price reductions I mentioned above.  Do I need to post the before/after invoices?

(disclaimer: I won't waste my time doing that.  It's fun even without winning over the jury...)

You and your incessant trolling is delicious. Be well

• Haha 1

I copied my response from another board I’m following.  

We’re booked on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise in Feb. ‘23. I took a look at the 40% ‘sale’ on the NCL website, and saw that all the cabins in our category were “sold out” (M9 Club Balcony Mini Suite with Thermal Spa Access), so I thought no discount for me…

BUT THEN - I looked to see the price of the MA Club Balcony Mini Suite (no thermal spa). There was a cabin 3 down from our original booking, and we don’t need the thermal spa for the entire cruise since we have pre-purchased Vibe passes for the duration of it. I could not believe the difference in cost - we saved $4,968.00 CAD?!?! Holy sh*t!!!  Needless to say, I called our TA changed our reservation!

The excursion I booked (sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica) transferred over, as well as Vibe passes, and the extra specialty dining package and water package I had pre-purchased. Additionally, we now get 50 photos and an extra 100 minutes wifi (400 now total). 

I’m sure the thermal spa is lovely, but not $4968 lovely. We can alway buy some day passes if we want to check it out. 

• Like 4

I spoke to my PCC today about something else (had no idea there was a new 'sale') and she said my upcoming February Panama canal cruise dropped in price. I saved $900 for doing nothing at all. So yeah!

For those who didn't save ... no worries, that's why you're watching. For the few who do get to save a few bucks, yeah for us.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, kapper said:

I copied my response from another board I’m following.  

We’re booked on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise in Feb. ‘23. I took a look at the 40% ‘sale’ on the NCL website, and saw that all the cabins in our category were “sold out” (M9 Club Balcony Mini Suite with Thermal Spa Access), so I thought no discount for me…

BUT THEN - I looked to see the price of the MA Club Balcony Mini Suite (no thermal spa). There was a cabin 3 down from our original booking, and we don’t need the thermal spa for the entire cruise since we have pre-purchased Vibe passes for the duration of it. I could not believe the difference in cost - we saved $4,968.00 CAD?!?! Holy sh*t!!!  Needless to say, I called our TA changed our reservation!

The excursion I booked (sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica) transferred over, as well as Vibe passes, and the extra specialty dining package and water package I had pre-purchased. Additionally, we now get 50 photos and an extra 100 minutes wifi (400 now total). 

I’m sure the thermal spa is lovely, but not $4968 lovely. We can alway buy some day passes if we want to check it out. 

Mine dropped too, but not nearly as much as yours. Are you on the Joy out of LA to Miami?

33 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Mine dropped too, but not nearly as much as yours. Are you on the Joy out of LA to Miami?

No, we’re on the Bliss, Miami to LA. 

To be fair, we did change categories, but I’d rather have the Vibe Beach Club than the thermal spa, so win-win!

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

A warning though.   If you booked before 18th Jan 2022 you will, almost certainly,  have to change any perks.   There was quite a change on that day, in dining, Wi-Fi and extra Latitude points so make sure you know what you will get with a re-fare.   If you have a good PCC ask him/her to look into it carefully and then tell you what changes to expect BEFORE you change.

“Quite a change in perks” is an understatement!!!

I was going through some old emails between me and my TA. We were scheduled for an 11-night Greek Isles cruise in October 2021 that we cancelled because our youngest son wasn’t vaccinated yet. When we booked that cruise, NCL was still giving FIVE specialty dinners on 11-night sailings (balcony staterooms)!!! 

We leave for our rescheduled 10-night Greek Isles cruise in less than 1 month (again, connecting balconies). We will now only be receiving TWO specialty dinners!!! 

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Boo Hoo.  So they raise their list prices and then offer a 40% off "special."  I honestly don't see what these VIOLATIONS are for which somebody needs to "take them to task."  What does that even mean?  How is this any different than auto manufacturers releasing the same product for a new model year at a higher MSRP but with increased rebates?

Just do what many of us do.  Book early, check often and reprice if/when prices drop.  It doesn't matter if it is part of some brand new "deal" or just the typical ebb and flow of their dynamic pricing system.  Do you folks really just recheck prices when they shove out some marketing campaign that claims a great new deal?  Yikes.

The Federal Trade Commission does have rules about false, misleading and deceptive advertising. In its guidelines against deceptive pricing, the commission tells retailers that a product can be advertised as being sold at a reduced price if the former price was “a bona fide price at which the article was offered to the public on a regular basis for a reasonably substantial period of time."

Try getting someone to enforce it.  

9 hours ago, gabbygal99 said:

“Quite a change in perks” is an understatement!!!

I was going through some old emails between me and my TA. We were scheduled for an 11-night Greek Isles cruise in October 2021 that we cancelled because our youngest son wasn’t vaccinated yet. When we booked that cruise, NCL was still giving FIVE specialty dinners on 11-night sailings (balcony staterooms)!!! 

We leave for our rescheduled 10-night Greek Isles cruise in less than 1 month (again, connecting balconies). We will now only be receiving TWO specialty dinners!!! 

Same with us... when we originally booked our PC cruise we had 5 nights of dining since it's a 15 night cruise. With the rebooking yesterday we now get 3. But I figured $900 was worth giving up 2 meals when I can buy them back at a cost of only $100 if I really wanted them.

Many folks don't think about the total picture and it's not just 'reduce my fair' - it's the whole new package you get. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's not.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2022 at 6:48 AM, MsMidge said:

The Federal Trade Commission does have rules about false, misleading and deceptive advertising. In its guidelines against deceptive pricing, the commission tells retailers that a product can be advertised as being sold at a reduced price if the former price was “a bona fide price at which the article was offered to the public on a regular basis for a reasonably substantial period of time."

Try getting someone to enforce it.  

The reason legal actions against cruise line pricing is this: The cruise lines have lawyers who have read the rules and those lawyers review the advertising.  They are not going to approve something that could be the basis of a lawsuit.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 2:50 PM, EllieinNJ said:

Got an email today for 40 percent off so checked several cruises I was looking at.  All have increased in price since yesterday.

So you checked the price for every single cabin type on every single cruise prior to and after the announcement pf the40% sale?  Wow you have way too much time on your hand.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

posted previously, our  july 2023 cruise from copenagen to london i n tne 2 bedroom suite went down $2000.

That is a lot of savings.    We saved close to $800 on two cruises book for 2024.

• Like 1

I saved $300 with the increase to 40% off on my studio cabin booked for Greek Isles cruise.  And now another $100 using the Great Cruise Comeback coupon.  I was already happy with the original booking price and all the perks. Cruising with NCL just keeps getting better all the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

So you checked the price for every single cabin type on every single cruise prior to and after the announcement pf the40% sale?  Wow you have way too much time on your hand.

I think you missed the word "several".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mocruisefan. people have chastised me for some some of my posts, but you really seem to have a totally negative vibe.

lighten up!

ive always posted that most of the ncl so called sales are bs if you check them out thoroughly, on  this one, my costs actually went down $2000. i know its hard to believe, but sometimes miracles do happen

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 2:50 PM, EllieinNJ said:

Got an email today for 40 percent off so checked several cruises I was looking at.  All have increased in price since yesterday.

They move the numbers around to make people think it’s a sale. 

We hadn't booked prior to the 40% off sale, because we were procrastinating, as always. Then my husband's PCC reached out - he has one that he talks to, I have one that I ignore. 

When he booked our August cruise we saved $400 on the prices we had seen previously on a Haven Spa Balcony. I have to have the spa - he has to have the Haven, and it's just two of us, so cheap Haven rooms work for us. 

I'm glad the sale came up as it got us booked and a small discount. We won't get any further discounts on the room since: 1) the Haven Spa rooms are sold out, and 2) we're way past final payment date.

We will monitor the cruise we booked that day for March as we have a few months before final payment date - yep, another Haven Spa so that we're both happy! 

Happy savings to all of you! 

Just realized NCL does disclose the facts... 🙂   Their terms and conditions for this promotion includes this.

"Original rate prices quoted are offering prices and may not have resulted in, and savings shown from original prices may not be based on, actual sales. From time to time, we may use original to mean the price offered during a previous seasonal time period, and therefore such prices may not have been in effect during the past 90 days. Quoted cruise prices are subject to promotions, discounts, and sales based on many factors including but not limited to seasonality, timing, range or mix of offers at a particular time, demand, availability, and capacity management."

1 hour ago, davencl said:

Just realized NCL does disclose the facts... 🙂   Their terms and conditions for this promotion includes this.

"Original rate prices quoted are offering prices and may not have resulted in, and savings shown from original prices may not be based on, actual sales. From time to time, we may use original to mean the price offered during a previous seasonal time period, and therefore such prices may not have been in effect during the past 90 days. Quoted cruise prices are subject to promotions, discounts, and sales based on many factors including but not limited to seasonality, timing, range or mix of offers at a particular time, demand, availability, and capacity management."

That about covers every possible permutation lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davencl said:

Yep.  NCL has good lawyers just like every other successful business.

• Like 2