bringing wine on board

In the past rccl would let you bring in 2 bottles of wine per state room. When googled, the answer said yes, but not sure how old the answer is. Does anyone know if this i still a policy? Has any one brought on wine in carry on a recent cruise?

Was on the July 4th sailing of the Quantum of the Seas to Alaska.  Brought on two bottles of wine (750 ml each) in my carry on.  No problem.  My room steward provided us with 2 wine glasses when he saw them sitting on the desk in our room.  

• Like 1

On Vision in June was in a JS with two friends. I boarded ahead of them by a few hours with two bottles and when they boarded they each brought two and no one batted an eye. Again YMMV but it seemed pretty lax in Barcelona. Other ports may pay more attention. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris153 said:

In the past rccl would let you bring in 2 bottles of wine per state room. When googled, the answer said yes, but not sure how old the answer is. Does anyone know if this i still a policy? Has any one brought on wine in carry on a recent cruise?

Yes. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

21 hours ago, njmelis24 said:

On Vision in June was in a JS with two friends. I boarded ahead of them by a few hours with two bottles and when they boarded they each brought two and no one batted an eye. Again YMMV but it seemed pretty lax in Barcelona. Other ports may pay more attention. 

We have boarded several times in Barcelona. After you go through security and take the escalator up there is a small liquor/wine shop.  We have always bought vodka and bourbon and then walked straight on.  Reality of two bottles of wine is two bottles per carryon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We have boarded several times in Barcelona. After you go through security and take the escalator up there is a small liquor/wine shop.  We have always bought vodka and bourbon and then walked straight on.  Reality of two bottles of wine is two bottles per carryon.

Barcelona is the exception rather than the rule for bringing anything on board.  It's the only port that I am aware of that you go thru Spain security, then hit the duty free store to purchase wine, booze, water, etc., then board the ship without going thru ship security.  In fact, we boarded, then went back to the duty free to purchase more "stuff" without any issue.

• Like 1

On July 1 Oasis from Cape Liberty it was 2 per stateroom. I have to say the security person was extraordinarily obnoxious when verifying that we had sufficient staterooms to support the 2 bottles of wine per cabin (we did, but his accusatory and rude demeanor actually started the trip off on something of a downer). 

3 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Barcelona is the exception rather than the rule for bringing anything on board.  It's the only port that I am aware of that you go thru Spain security, then hit the duty free store to purchase wine, booze, water, etc., then board the ship without going thru ship security.  In fact, we boarded, then went back to the duty free to purchase more "stuff" without any issue.

Puerto Rico has this too. Although I can't recall if it's before or after security. I do know that you can leave the ship and come back though, so even if it's before security, you can come and go as much as you want, and the ship doesn't leave til 8pm. 

We have two staterooms, one with two adults and a connecting room with our 16 year old daughter. Is it 2 bottles per stateroom regardless of who is in each room? In other words, can I bring in 4 bottles, or just 2? I'm assuming I can only bring in 2, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

14 minutes ago, lynnbo1693 said:

We have two staterooms, one with two adults and a connecting room with our 16 year old daughter. Is it 2 bottles per stateroom regardless of who is in each room? In other words, can I bring in 4 bottles, or just 2? I'm assuming I can only bring in 2, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I believe it's 2 per stateroom, but the stateroom has to include an adult over 21. If you guys went through security at different times nobody's gonna know that the other person already brought 2. Or, you could have your daughter carry the other 2, and hope they just don't check ID. 

Or, a 3rd option is to put 2 in your checked bags, knowing you'll have to go downstairs to pick it up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lynnbo1693 said:

You could carry 2 and the other adult carry 2 and to be safe go in a separate security line, pretending you do not know each other and viola the adults now have 4 bottles for their cabin.   Been done😁

• Like 1

Based on the wine experience we had on Mariner in June, if you are into wine, bring as much of what you like as you can.

I chose not to as there were plenty of wines on the wine list that were interesting… however, what you may see online is not representative of what is onboard… they were out of almost everything.

At dinner, when I suggest we would like some wine, the waited asked if we wanted red or white.  It was like they had a chard and a cab, and that’s about it.

And  they were both crap.

So while I would not have suggested to bring wine before the cruise, I now am a huge advocate of taking it if it is important to you.  

of course 2 bottles would have had a very limited lifetime with us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sms1973 said:

Based on the wine experience we had on Mariner in June, if you are into wine, bring as much of what you like as you can.

I chose not to as there were plenty of wines on the wine list that were interesting… however, what you may see online is not representative of what is onboard… they were out of almost everything.

I think this is a problem with all alcohol - I hear many people reporting that there was a limited selection of bourbons and Scotch on their cruises.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, rudeney said:

I think this is a problem with all alcohol - I hear many people reporting that there was a limited selection of bourbons and Scotch on their cruises.  

I can speak to vodka scotch and rum.  Selections were pretty much as stated on the cruise menus.  We hit one bar that was out of daiquiri mix in the first day, and other that would sporadically have or be out of Coke Zero.

Minute Maid lemonade was not available in the coke machines after the 2nd day (the only thing our kids drinkmother than water).

But the wines were atrocious.  I wonder if wine tends to be the most “costly” to the line as the others (other than like a straight scotch) can be offset with mixers,

in the end, with a month of reflection, I think we are done with Royal.  Looking back there were so many issues that I don’t reflect on anything related to the boat as a positive experience.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, taglovestocruise said:

On 7/16/2022 at 9:44 PM, Wineaux007 said:

In which case you were both lucky or had good timing. We have boarded many times in Barcelona and they often have a table set up on the ship to 'catch' those bringing on extra bottles and I've seen many bottles confiscated 

On 7/17/2022 at 11:26 PM, rudeney said:

Considering the recent drink package prices, I can see this being a major problem if the wine and spirits selection is as bad as this thread would suggest. If I paid $72 per day and couldn’t get a halfway decent glass of wine or bourbon I’d be pretty unhappy. 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Considering the recent drink package prices, I can see this being a major problem if the wine and spirits selection is as bad as this thread would suggest. If I paid $72 per day and couldn’t get a halfway decent glass of wine or bourbon I’d be pretty unhappy. 

If that's the case on an upcoming cruise, I'll cancel the DBP while onboard and get a refund for the unused portion. And, if enough people do that, it MIGHT sent the message to Corporate that the DBP prices are too high.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 2:54 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Really? The store is after they scan your carryon bags? 

We are sailing out of Barcelona so this is helpful to us.  

1 hour ago, footzz said:

If that's the case on an upcoming cruise, I'll cancel the DBP while onboard and get a refund for the unused portion. And, if enough people do that, it MIGHT sent the message to Corporate that the DBP prices are too high.

I'm with you on that.  Verbal complaints, negative survey responses and even strongly-worded letters rarely get the attention of anyone who can change things.  Revenue losses will.  I know it may not be RCCL's fault that they can't get a decent selection of booze, but if they know that if they can't backup the high prices of the DBP with proper brands, many customers will be disappointed.  Then again, maybe those of us looking for specific brands are in the minority.  I am sure there are plenty of people sucking down "Jack and Cokes"  or frozen cocktails who could not care less about what brand of liquor is in their drinks.  

29 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

Really? The store is after they scan your carryon bags? 

We are sailing out of Barcelona so this is helpful to us.  

There is a liquor store in the San Juan Pan Am pier and it's located after the security scanners. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

There is a liquor store in the San Juan Pan Am pier and it's located after the security scanners. 

And once I bought what is usually a very high end SB from them...only to find it badly corked later.  Tried to take it back on TAD...they had a "no refund/no return" policy.  Out 35.00.   👿

So now I just stick in the inexpensive swill..just in case.  😉   I do buy bottled water there.