I am still confused about the dress code.

Peckishpixie

17 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Allow me to attempt to clarify..

”The code is more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules”~~Barbossa

Loosen up…

I guess a fictional Captain of a fictional pirate ship will have a looser take on gentlemen's attire after 6pm than the  regular passengers of Cunard. 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I guess a fictional Captain of a fictional pirate ship will have a looser take on gentlemen's attire after 6pm than the  regular passengers of Cunard. 😀

I'm glad you understood the reference as it was completely lost on me !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm glad you understood the reference as it was completely lost on me !

1 minute ago, rrraydon said:

Yesss! It was too funny for me to pass up…sorry. 😉

Naughty!😃  😄

The only reason I got the connection is because I adore any Hans Zimmer soundtracks so watched the films.

• Like 1

@escrick I understand 100% where you’re coming from. I started following the Cunard thread last summer after we booked a Cunard cruise. I almost cancelled it due to some of the comments posted regarding the dress code. I was actually guilty of not being nice to one of them…the thread was closed by our beloved @Host Hattie. It is the single most divisive subject on this forum. It decided I would wear what I want to wear on our first cruise this December. @Victoria2 and @lissie is always two of the sane people in the discussion.  Listen to their advice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, techteach said:

@escrick I understand 100% where you’re coming from. I started following the Cunard thread last summer after we booked a Cunard cruise. I almost cancelled it due to some of the comments posted regarding the dress code. I was actually guilty of not being nice to one of them…the thread was closed by our beloved @Host Hattie. It is the single most divisive subject on this forum. It decided I would wear what I want to wear on our first cruise this December. @Victoria2 and @lissie is always two of the sane people in the discussion.  Listen to their advice.

1 hour ago, escrick said:

Thanks for your comment, and I agree that Victoria and Lissie seem wise.🙂

Thanks. Just a passenger with a deep love of Cunard, a huge dislike for the occasional pompous or derogatory comment aimed at others' dress, and one who whilst loving the previous three dress codes and regretting their ending,  sees life onboard as it is now without any rose coloured  specs. hindering the reality.

• Like 1

The only thing that really irritates me, are the people who go out their way to mock the dress code by intentionaly dressing below the required minimum, to see how far they can get.

One person, a few years ago, on QE, on a Gala night, wore a brightly checked three piece suit with matching trilby hat. All that was missing was the carnation that squirted water.

You do get a few who through ignorance, make huge etiquette errors, like men wearing hats indoors at any time, or ladies wearing hats in the evening, or furs to the dinner table whilst you always see some men wearing white scarves to the table. Outdoor clothing should be left at the cloakroom.

Last November on QE, we did see someone in the Grill Lounge on a non-Gala night without a jacket and his open neck shirt sleeves half rolled up his forearm. It did look as if he was there to wash the dishes.

Personally, I stick to the old dress code and wear jacket and tie, but each to their own.

The whole thing is just common sense, whilst not forgetting, you are on holiday and you're there to enjoy yourself.

Stewart

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The only thing that really irritates me, are the people who go out their way to mock the dress code by intentionaly dressing below the required minimum, to see how far they can get.

One person, a few years ago, on QE, on a Gala night, wore a brightly checked three piece suit with matching trilby hat. All that was missing was the carnation that squirted water.

You do get a few who through ignorance, make huge etiquette errors, like men wearing hats indoors at any time, or ladies wearing hats in the evening, or furs to the dinner table whilst you always see some men wearing white scarves to the table. Outdoor clothing should be left at the cloakroom.

Last November on QE, we did see someone in the Grill Lounge on a non-Gala night without a jacket and his open neck shirt sleeves half rolled up his forearm. It did look as if he was there to wash the dishes.

Personally, I stick to the old dress code and wear jacket and tie, but each to their own.

The whole thing is just common sense, whilst not forgetting, you are on holiday and you're there to enjoy yourself.

Stewart

Points well made…..  However, one has used the word “minimum”, prepare to be flamed! 😊

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Points well made…..  However, one has used the word “minimum”, prepare to be flamed! 😊

There is the use of the word 'minimum', and then, there is the use of the word 'minimum'.

Some use it as a description of the basic requirement and some use it in a derogatory sense. 

To save any confusion and assist all future posters, what is the correct differentiation protocol when using the word “minimum”?  
Because a person could use the “m” word as information, or statement of fact, having to then face an accusation of using the “m” word in a derogatory manner.

Suggestion.

For clarity, the “m” word should now be accompanied with a clause inside open/closed parentheses, such as; statement of fact; informative or derogatory etc..

• Haha 1

Or better still, let's all be pleasant about others, who are doing their best to comply with the minimum dress of the evening and yes, the time of day even if they don't measure up to some personal 'high' standards.

eg

no unkind comments on photos of folk in a hot line up who don't look afternoon tea ready and many, many other  comments which have been absolutely awful in some previous dress threads.

It's totally unnecessary and gives a bad impression of' 'the'  Cunard passenger to anyone reading this board who might be put off booking.

It's very sad as most of us know the vast majority of those who cruise with Cunard on a regular basis are ordinary, lovely people who happen to like cruising with Cunard.

Let's be nice. 🙂

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Or better still, let's all be pleasant about others, who are doing their best to comply with the minimum dress of the evening and yes, the time of day even if they don't measure up to some personal 'high' standards.

eg

no unkind comments on photos of folk in a hot line up who don't look afternoon tea ready and many, many other  comments which have been absolutely awful in some previous dress threads.

It's totally unnecessary and gives a bad impression of' 'the'  Cunard passenger to anyone reading this board who might be put off booking.

It's very sad as most of us know the vast majority of those who cruise with Cunard on a regular basis are ordinary, lovely people who happen to like cruising with Cunard.

Let's be nice. 🙂

And I must say, on this cruise, on formal nights, nearly everyone looked quite splendid.  There is another one tonight, which we shall miss. Should my husband (who so far, mercifully, is unaffected) and I conform to the dress code for our cabin meal?😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And I must say, on this cruise, on formal nights, nearly everyone looked quite splendid.  There is another one tonight, which we shall miss. Should my husband (who so far, mercifully, is unaffected) and I conform to the dress code for our cabin meal?😀

I'd be dressed in my cabined up code...below bare minimum with the  emphasis on minimum and not bare but, if you can joke about it, that's good news.  😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'd be dressed in my cabined up code...below bare minimum with the  emphasis on minimum and not bare but, if you can joke about it, that's good news.  😀

I felt dreadful yesterday, but am feeling a bit better today. In fact, we had to pack to come here, so I think the clothes will,remain undisturbed until we get home.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, escrick said:

Having read all the posts on this topic, I am beginning to question whether my husband and I will fit into the Cunard culture.  We have not been on Cunard before, and currently have deposits on two cruises in the next year.  We are used to formal attire as both of our careers required us to attend black tie events.  We are retired now and, although we will follow the dress codes, we are not about to suffer angst over our choices. I understand that a lot of people need reassurances, but some of the responses seem somewhat dictatorial and maybe arrogant.  Please forgive me if I am being too analytical here.

It's worth remembering that cruise critic is followed by a small percentage of cruise passengers, and what you see here doesn't represent what you'll find on board.  We took a cruise on another line recently, and couldn't have found a more congenial crowd on board, in contrast to the regular posters on the CC forum who tend to be a bit cliquish.  

That said, dress code discussions always become passionate.  Also, this is my favorite board because of the kindness and courtesy consistently expressed by everyone here.  Any perceived arrogance is undoubtedly the result of enthusiasm, and not judgment.  Finally, if you are comfortable in formal wear you'll have a great time (although you'd have a great time even if you weren't, IMO).

• Like 2