I am still confused about the dress code.

Peckishpixie

47 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

I am newish!  One Transatlantic and two other trips, with two more booked.    So I am familiar with the codes in general, but not really how far is is acceptable to 'stretch' them.  I would not, personally, stretch them in the downward direction on any line, but if the advice  says 'a tuxedo' for Gala nights, there is the question of to what extent other quality clothes are permitted (on the one hand) and acceptable to other passengers (on the other).

Everyone who has responded so far would be happy if I wore the jacket, by the sounds of it, so thank you all for your comments.

To simplify one’s answers to a multiple directional question.

The published evening dress code is an absolute minimum requirement.  Therefore, whatever one considers as being above, but most importantly will enjoy wearing, would be perfectly acceptable.

If one wishes to make a serious dress statement and kick butt, then do it….

It’s your cruise - Enjoy it

As an aside.

We have friends, when taking their first Cunard, the Wife had a dilemma regarding CL shoes.  Such as “Do I or don’t I wear them and would they be considered ott?”.  
Just said go and kick ****, as probably nobody would notice, if they did then probably they were also wearing them.

She did and loved it.  Nobody acknowledged a notice.
Even joined DW in a perfectly executed tandem bent arm Pan Am strut, just for the fun of it, entering the Commodore Club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WestonOne said:

Sounding out opinion on this one, but what I will actually do I will decide!

My son married a girl from Mauritius, so I have two jackets I bought for the wedding, which was Hindu.

The first is  gold and red, so I am considering it for a 'Red and Gold' night.  Leaving aside any discussion of cultural appropriation(*), how would people react, given it is obviously not a tuxedo?

Red and Gold Jacket

(*) I should say we got approval from daughter-in-law and several other family members before we bought our clothes.

Are you on Elizebeth for red and gold night next week? If you are you should find me! I have fire engine red hair. Can't be missed! 

39 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

To simplify one’s answers to a multiple directional question.

The published evening dress code is an absolute minimum requirement.  Therefore, whatever one considers as being above, but most importantly will enjoy wearing, would be perfectly acceptable.

If one wishes to make a serious dress statement and kick butt, then do it….

It’s your cruise - Enjoy it

As an aside.

We have friends, when taking their first Cunard, the Wife had a dilemma regarding CL shoes.  Such as “Do I or don’t I wear them and would they be considered ott?”.  
Just said go and kick ****, as probably nobody would notice, if they did then probably they were also wearing them.

She did and loved it.  Nobody acknowledged a notice.
Even joined DW in a perfectly executed tandem bent arm Pan Am strut, just for the fun of it, entering the Commodore Club.

Why should one be worried about wearing red soled shoes? No one would notice and if they did, so what?

I have clothes with well known [to some]  labels but as I don't go for clothes with logos, no one would know  and I couldn't care less if they did. One thing I can guarantee, no one else will be wearing the same! 🙂

The question re shoes was asked by the OP and has been answered.  Factually. It is up to individuals to decide if they give their J.C's., M.B's, or Christian Louboutin's an airing or they go with their own choice which might not suit all shoe watchers but will fit the dress of the evening.

• Like 1

It is very much a personal opinion that Cunard's published dress code is a absolute minimum requirement.   Absolute minimum makes it sound as even if you follow the  Cunard dress code to the letter you are not really trying.

If someone follows the Cunard dress code to the letter, then they are more than perfectly acceptably attired, and are not just scraping through.

If people want to follow their own dress code so be it , but they should not try to make it sound on this forum as if people who follow Cunard dress code  they are in anyway underdressed. This may have the effect of putting off potential customers who are happy with Cunard' s dress code into thinking they will be looked down upon. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Gosh, I would love to see Christian Louboutin shoes in the wild some time.  I suppose the wearer would need to flash those soles for me to notice, but it would be quite fun.

• Like 1

I ended up NOT taking my JC dress shoes as they are a bit over the top even for Cunard (lots of glitter and rhinestones), but I did buy a pair of JC men's dress shoes for DH, who wore them with his tux and looked marvelously elegant!!

I had a pair of CL shoes on my wish list, but they cost almost as much as the cruise, so I had to pass...

5 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I ended up NOT taking my JC dress shoes as they are a bit over the top even for Cunard (lots of glitter and rhinestones), but I did buy a pair of JC men's dress shoes for DH, who wore them with his tux and looked marvelously elegant!!

I had a pair of CL shoes on my wish list, but they cost almost as much as the cruise, so I had to pass...

A note to Santa? …….But only if you’ve been a good girl….😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Hoping these pass the dress police 😊

AV4FphPAbJhWxU29VMvE.jpg

They are beautiful and the shoe police will love them [I certainly do] but will they stand up to the 1am stagger back to the cabin!😃

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I couldn't wear those on dry land, never mind on a ship !

I used to have spikes  and still have two pairs of Gina evening shoes, in their boxes, which I can't bear to part with. Memories of bygone days.

I'd break my ankle in them now! 😄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I used to have spikes  and still have two pairs of Gina evening shoes, in their boxes, which I can't bear to part with. Memories of bygone days.

I'd break my ankle in them now! 😄

I have a pair of Jimmy Choo's that haven't seen my feet in 20 years but I hold on to them because they cost more than my first car. 

@Peckishpixie I also have many pair of shoes that were paid for dearly that are now too small or  have heals I would harm myself to wear. They are a sunk cost. I have donated several pair to organizations that provide prom dresses, etc. for high school girls unable to afford to purchase their own. 

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 AM, Solent Richard said:

Ah, it's all down to one's interpretation and personal character I guess.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

1145191451_BellboysandRichardatembarkation.jpg.abc6ed5d90301a591c9010eb293535e2.jpg

The explanation is however the above was and remains my minimum standard for embarkation. You'd never spot me like that on subsequent days onboard.

It was in Singapore and you'd be surprised at some of the photographs I have of what some thought acceptable. 😂

There was a question here recently re what Americans mean by "sportscoat".  This is it.  

Not to be confused with a zippered jacket, especially one that matches one's athletic pants with stripes down the side!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

There was a question here recently re what Americans mean by "sportscoat".  This is it.  

Not to be confused with a zippered jacket, especially one that matches one's athletic pants with stripes down the side!

That is sort of what is called a Sports Jacket in the UK

• Like 2

Yes, it does irritate me somewhat when our American cousins refer to Afternoon Tea as 'High Tea' and a Jacket as a 'Coat' - a sports coat is my idea of something with a Zip that I'd wear on the way to the Gym.

All just a bit of Banter my American friends. 😅 - I'm sure us Brits have confusing vocabulary also.  

• Like 1

I have to agree.  A coat is longer than a jacket.  So you Brits get a point for logic.

Re Tea:  I know the difference, but I find myself correcting other Americans who don't.

I just bought a new crossword book, which has been giving me a bit more trouble than usual.  I finally realized it is British, with not only words I don't know, but tv programs, rivers, and more that are beyond my usual field of knowledge.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Yes, it does irritate me somewhat when our American cousins refer to Afternoon Tea as 'High Tea' and a Jacket as a 'Coat' - a sports coat is my idea of something with a Zip that I'd wear on the way to the Gym.

All just a bit of Banter my American friends. 😅 - I'm sure us Brits have confusing vocabulary also.  

Two countries separated by a common language

• Like 1

I’m currently on QE. Gala nights have been lovely, lots of dressing up, the odd kilt, a stunning sari on red and gold night. A mix of tux and dark suits.There have been some stunning dresses, more cocktail style than formal evenings gowns.  
Smart attire has been a mix of jackets and slightly more casual, all collared shirts though, polo shirts, dress shirts etc. I’ve worn white or black linen trousers with pretty tops, and dresses, with either sparkly flat sandals or wedge heels. 
Regardless of what this forum may indicate at times, there is zero snobbishness on board, just people enjoying a beautiful ship. Oh, and more dolphins alongside tonight. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

I’m currently on QE. Gala nights have been lovely, lots of dressing up, the odd kilt, a stunning sari on red and gold night. A mix of tux and dark suits.There have been some stunning dresses, more cocktail style than formal evenings gowns.  
Smart attire has been a mix of jackets and slightly more casual, all collared shirts though, polo shirts, dress shirts etc. I’ve worn white or black linen trousers with pretty tops, and dresses, with either sparkly flat sandals or wedge heels. 
Regardless of what this forum may indicate at times, there is zero snobbishness on board, just people enjoying a beautiful ship. Oh, and more dolphins alongside tonight. 

Thank you for a lovely and very informative post.

I hope this will allay any concerns potential slightly nervous  newbies might have when thinking what to drag out of the wardrobe for a Cunard evening. 🙂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Similarly on a very hot Med. cruise, there has been lots of dressing up on Gala nights, and even on other nights many people have looked very smart, particularly women.

Very few dolphins, though, alas.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 12:27 PM, Windsurfboy said:

It is very much a personal opinion that Cunard's published dress code is a absolute minimum requirement.   Absolute minimum makes it sound as even if you follow the  Cunard dress code to the letter you are not really trying.

If someone follows the Cunard dress code to the letter, then they are more than perfectly acceptably attired, and are not just scraping through....

No - complying with the dress code is simply being civilized: in no way can simply complying be considered : "...MORE than perfectly acceptably attired...".   More means more -- not simply being on a par.  It might be more appropriate to simply agree that NOT following the dress code to the letter is just not being acceptably attired.

I think we are hitting difficulties of expressing  ourselves, navybanker, as we are trying to make a fairly subtle distinction.   Following the dress code 'to the letter' when it suggests a tuxedo would, I think, lead to universal agreement on this site that you should not turn up in a tee shirt.    But we were talking about the opposite here:  would it be acceptable to turn up in national dress: in a kimono if you were Japanese, for example?  Up to now, every seems to have thought that acceptable.   I triggered the discussion by asking how people would feel if I turned up to a 'red and gold' gala night in a certain jacket (photo in a link above) and up to now everyone has said they would think that ok.   You seem to disagree, but maybe that is just how you have phrased things.  On the other hand,  maybe not, and if you don't agree that is important to me. I am not just dressing to please myself; I am very aware that everyone else has paid for their cruise to have a certain style, and I would not want to spoil their cruise by what I chose to wear.