Will Carnival Follow Princess Easing Vaccine Restrictions

sunonfire

17 minutes ago, bguppies said:

No but the first of the big three to get rid of precruise testing will be getting all my money until Carnival decides to wise up.

I have two cruises booked already, but my next cruise will be with whoever drops the theatrics.

Smart decisions based in reality will drive the market and decide which lines survive and which do not.

I'm fine if lines do or do not drop the vaccine reqyurement.

I do not care about anybody else's vaccine status

But the precruise testing clearly isn't working with how many people are coming home with covid after their cruise.

So having an ineffective tool that just places an added cost and time waste upon the cruiser is simply stupid.

Good points.....I wonder how many Pre Cruise testings give a positive result.  Out of thousands of embarking cruisers how many had a failed pre cruise. You're right...added cost for minimal result, toss in the angst of where to test, and running to the airport to test pre cruise...it's time to drop this in-effective burden.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The total focus remains stayed on passenger and crew safety. The only way Carnival will eliminate the pre cruise testing is that if their revenue starts to decrease due to passengers switching to Virgin, etc. 

Because of the value added pricing for Carnival I really don't predict that happening. Carnival and Royal are still playing the wait and see game. If Virgin and these other lines have a reported "massive Covid breakout" then that will again shut down their Cruises. Nobody wants to see that happen again. 

Be patient and continue to get tested so we can all continue to enjoy our Carnival Cruise passion!  

They are BLEEDING money. They had to dilute their shares to raise an emergency $1 billion. The wait and see if over. If they wait to see if travelers will go elsewhere, and they have and will continue to do so, they will go out of business. We are past optics. I understand trying to err on the side of safety. If you can really tell me having 3,000 people test three days before boarding only to hop in sealed metal tubes to fly into port means anything, then I would love to hear your side. Never has this industry been on the verge of bankruptcy then now. It's time to act or your staff will be looking for new jobs in a different industry.

• Like 5

I understand trying to err on the side of safety. If you can really tell me having 3,000 people test three days before boarding only to hop in sealed metal tubes to fly into port means anything, then I would love to hear your side. Never has this industry been on the verge of bankruptcy then now. It's time to act or your staff will be looking for new jobs in a different industry.

CCL will proceed in the way they feel is best for them at this time and if the crew/ passenger safety is how they choose to go for now, then so be it. 

Spend your money and your vacation time where you feel is best for you and your family.  No one is telling you to stick with CCL, you have choices if you are not happy or frustrated with how they are handling things.  BTW, not everyone flies to a port, a lot of us east coast people can (and do)  choose drive to any of several ports and maybe that gives us an advantage in some sense when deciding to cruise, I dont know. 

Just dont understand the continued whining about something you (meaning anyone that is frustrated with the CCL covid decisions) can choose to move on from when you want to.  I know in this world of instant gratification many people get frustrated with having to wait for anything these days.  Relax and cruise (if you want to) while you still have the option (it wasn't too long ago we did not have the option)!

•  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

I understand trying to err on the side of safety. If you can really tell me having 3,000 people test three days before boarding only to hop in sealed metal tubes to fly into port means anything, then I would love to hear your side. Never has this industry been on the verge of bankruptcy then now. It's time to act or your staff will be looking for new jobs in a different industry.

CCL will proceed in the way they feel is best for them at this time and if the crew/ passenger safety is how they choose to go for now, then so be it. 

Spend your money and your vacation time where you feel is best for you and your family.  No one is telling you to stick with CCL, you have choices if you are not happy or frustrated with how they are handling things.  BTW, not everyone flies to a port, a lot of us east coast people can (and do)  choose drive to any of several ports and maybe that gives us an advantage in some sense when deciding to cruise, I dont know. 

Just dont understand the continued whining about something you (meaning anyone that is frustrated with the CCL covid decisions) can choose to move on from when you want to.  I know in this world of instant gratification many people get frustrated with having to wait for anything these days.  Relax and cruise (if you want to) while you still have the option (it wasn't too long ago we did not have the option)!

•  

I am 2000% in favor of safety. If all testing was the 15 minute type at the port, it would be more justified. I agree with your thoughts 100%. Relax and cruise. My concern is if they wait too long that the options to cruise won't be there in the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Although you don't anticipate this happening, you're saying Carnival would abandon their total focus on pax and crew safety if revenue begins to fall due to pax choosing a different line?  Doesn't sound totally focused to me.

No. I am saying that traditionally the number one Cruise Line or top ranked Corporate organizations would lead in the nuisance process. Neither Carnival or Royal wants another Covid shutdown. Therefore they both will wait to see the interim outcomes of these competitors.

Carnival could probably announce the lifting of the mandate tomorrow. However the issue remains how to keep us all safe and what mandates need to be kept in place? These are not rogue company's. They have much more at stake than these smaller cruise entities.

It will certainly be a welcomed sight to see the mandate lifted. I just don't foresee it happening very soon. Hopefully I am wrong!    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KendallGator said:

They are BLEEDING money. They had to dilute their shares to raise an emergency $1 billion. The wait and see if over. If they wait to see if travelers will go elsewhere, and they have and will continue to do so, they will go out of business. We are past optics. I understand trying to err on the side of safety. If you can really tell me having 3,000 people test three days before boarding only to hop in sealed metal tubes to fly into port means anything, then I would love to hear your side. Never has this industry been on the verge of bankruptcy then now. It's time to act or your staff will be looking for new jobs in a different industry.

I certainly hear and get your points. This process can't be rushed. Cash is still king and we know how hard that entity is to garner and maintain. 

The industry will probably not withstand another 2 year shut down. I would much rather wait on a viable solution that rush to keep my passengers from jumping ship to other cruise lines. We all know that this situation is very serious. We also know that there are many factors that should be considered. I just don't think that rushing to keep your customer base "happy but possibly less safe" is the correct strategy.    

I truly hope that I am way off base here. I just think that Carnival has many potential outcomes to ponder; and that will take some time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, M&A said:

P&O is owned by Carnival and mainly operating out of the UK and Europe yet the Pride  operating out of the UK/Europe still requires pre-testing.  Doesn't make sense that passengers aboard the P&O Iona visiting ports in Norway don't require a covid test but Carnival Pride passengers visiting the same ports are required to have it

And since when do things have to make sense?

But, I do agree with the point you are making.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

I certainly hear and get your points. This process can't be rushed. Cash is still king and we know how hard that entity is to garner and maintain. 

The industry will probably not withstand another 2 year shut down. I would much rather wait on a viable solution that rush to keep my passengers from jumping ship to other cruise lines. We all know that this situation is very serious. We also know that there are many factors that should be considered. I just don't think that rushing to keep your customer base "happy but possibly less safe" is the correct strategy.    

I truly hope that I am way off base here. I just think that Carnival has many potential outcomes to ponder; and that will take some time.

10 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

I do believe vaccines make us safer. Those should be kept for the time being. I'm having trouble understanding how testing three days before boarding makes us safer when after testing I'm allowed to hop on a plane, go to a ballgame, tour the city of departure and then go into the ship without another test. If this step really made us safer, I would have a different thought process. I'm under no illusion my chances of catching COVID or the flu when on a ship for 7 days is very high. I'm counting on my overall health and vaccination status makes me safer. If I were unhealthy or at an old age, I would not attend a ballgame with 90,000 other people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KendallGator said:

I do believe vaccines make us safer. Those should be kept for the time being. I'm having trouble understanding how testing three days before boarding makes us safer when after testing I'm allowed to hop on a plane, go to a ballgame, tour the city of departure and then go into the ship without another test. If this step really made us safer, I would have a different thought process. I'm under no illusion my chances of catching COVID or the flu when on a ship for 7 days is very high. I'm counting on my overall health and vaccination status makes me safer. If I were unhealthy or at an old age, I would not attend a ballgame with 90,000 other people. 

Thanks for the great points made. I have family members that are Medical professionals. They are all still wondering how family members that never venture out of their homes (even to check the mail) can be diagnosed with Covid? So your point is well taken.   

The underlying issue is that we are rarely on a flight for 5 to 7 days at a time. Cruising provides a very high probability of Covid spreading rapidly; just by the mere fact that we are all in close proximity/quarters for a much longer and extended timeframe.   

The 72 hour testing period does not guarantee safety but it does guarantee at that particular time anyone showing symptoms will not be able to board. We haven't discussed this in a while but what about the cruisers that are trying to buy fake covid vaccine cards? Carnival will not lift the mandates until all possibilities have been discussed.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The total focus remains stayed on passenger and crew safety. The only way Carnival will eliminate the pre cruise testing is that if their revenue starts to decrease due to passengers switching to Virgin, etc. 

Because of the value added pricing for Carnival I really don't predict that happening. Carnival and Royal are still playing the wait and see game. If Virgin and these other lines have a reported "massive Covid breakout" then that will again shut down their Cruises. Nobody wants to see that happen again. 

Be patient and continue to get tested so we can all continue to enjoy our Carnival Cruise passion!  

Every other business has dropped it so why only cruises?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheSeagoer said:

Every other business has dropped it so why only cruises?

Because traditionally Cruise Company's have not been on the "Bail Out" list. They are mandated to fend for themselves. Now when and if they get the "Old Chrysler Bail Out Dollars" their eagerness to rush things might increase. 

2 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Because traditionally Cruise Company's have not been on the "Bail Out" list. They are mandated to fend for themselves. Now when and if they get the "Old Chrysler Bail Out Dollars" their eagerness to rush things might increase. 

CDC dropped the requirements, so why continue?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheSeagoer said:

The agency updated its website on Monday with a notice that read, “As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s Covid-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect and this page will no longer be updated.”

I totally understand the announcement and all points thereafter. To me the CDC is saying that we have completed our mission of alerting and trying to keep everyone safe. They realize that new Virus strains are appearing each day. They also are totally behind the success of the Industry.

They are also saying "It's now in your Court". You (Cruise Industry) are sailing solo in your future decisions; you will either do what's right for the future of the Cruise Industry or you will choose to do what's right for the current moment?   

If CCL, continues to go overboard( no pun intended) on  more than mandated or reasonable safety...then it will not survive as a company. You cannot possibly cover every issue....what about nail fungus checks, could catch it in the locker rooms,  on and on. Look CDC has released the burden, now is the time to remove all the obstacles for cruisers, make it EASY ...just ask for a vaccination proof, and stop. Endless , expensive testing weeds out only a minimal amount of cruisers, so why insist on the Pre cruise Barricade. This alone is particularly huge problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Carnival will not lift the mandates until all possibilities have been discussed.   

But they have.  P&O is a Carnival line and have lifted the pre-cruise testing for sailings.  So what is the difference between P&O sailing out of the UK to European ports and the Carnival Pride sailing out of UK ports?

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, MeganGC1983 said:

P&O has now ended pre-testing as well. 

On 1 ship, Iona, sailing out

of Southampton going to Norway and for June - July. 

so yes, they dropped it, maybe as a test for the rest of the fleet? 

8 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Hope the pre testing gets dropped but they keep the FULLY VACCINATED requirement

and yes you have to be fully vaxxed. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, luc122 said:

On 1 ship, Iona, sailing out

of Southampton going to Norway and for June - July. 

so yes, they dropped it, maybe as a test for the rest of the fleet? 

and yes you have to be fully vaxxed. 

Vaxxed does what?

• Like 1

Pre-cruise testing isn't the answer, I have first hand experience.  Got positive rapid test on Sunday after negative test on Tues and Thursday before.  These tests aren't sensitive enough to detect til it is too late and you could already be onboard a ship!  Oh and am fully vaxxed and double boosted! 

Edited by south-carolinagirl
  • Like 2

Just now, TheSeagoer said:

Vaxxed does what?

I was just pointing it out in relation to the other post. 
but being vaxxed should keep you from getting sick enough to be hospitalized. 

i’m well aware you can still get and pass on covid even being vaxxed, but honestly, I think it makes people feel a little bit better.  Like maybe if everyone is vaxxed then maybe this cruise will stay covid free. Highly unlikely but - whatever. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, luc122 said:

I was just pointing it out in relation to the other post. 
but being vaxxed should keep you from getting sick enough to be hospitalized. 

i’m well aware you can still get and pass on covid even being vaxxed, but honestly, I think it makes people feel a little bit better.  Like maybe if everyone is vaxxed then maybe this cruise will stay covid free. Highly unlikely but - whatever. 

Like you stated, "being vaxxed should keep you from getting sick enough to be hospitalized."

Even if everyone is vaxxed, people will possibly still get Covid, just hopefully not debilitating symptoms. Like getting a flu shot, not like getting a Polio vaccine which eradicated Polio.  Covid is something we will have to live with.

17 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

You (Cruise Industry) are sailing solo in your future decisions; you will either do what's right for the future of the Cruise Industry or you will choose to do what's right for the current moment?   

The cruise industry as a whole will do whatever provides the odds for survival...as will most businesses.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

The cruise industry as a whole will do whatever provides the odds for survival...as will most businesses.

Totally agree with this.  I have little doubt that a decision will be coming down very shortly about discontinuing pre-cruise testing on CCL and other lines.

29 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Totally agree with this.  I have little doubt that a decision will be coming down very shortly about discontinuing pre-cruise testing on CCL and other lines.

You two are great at saying not much of anything....  a decision shortly about discontinuing testing, doing whatever is best for long-term survival, blah blah blah.

Do either of you have a specific opinion on what the cruise line will do before mid-August and why?