Will Carnival Follow Princess Easing Vaccine Restrictions

sunonfire

17 hours ago, M&A said:

But they have.  P&O is a Carnival line and have lifted the pre-cruise testing for sailings.  So what is the difference between P&O sailing out of the UK to European ports and the Carnival Pride sailing out of UK ports?

Everybody is looking at the Carnival Corporation as a whole. One entity will not eliminate the fact that number one needs to get this situation right. It's tough being number one but to remain there you have very little margin of error. The World is looking at Carnival not P&O.

18 hours ago, topaz123 said:

If CCL, continues to go overboard( no pun intended) on  more than mandated or reasonable safety...then it will not survive as a company. You cannot possibly cover every issue....what about nail fungus checks, could catch it in the locker rooms,  on and on. Look CDC has released the burden, now is the time to remove all the obstacles for cruisers, make it EASY ...just ask for a vaccination proof, and stop. Endless , expensive testing weeds out only a minimal amount of cruisers, so why insist on the Pre cruise Barricade. This alone is particularly huge problem.

The CDC is smart and playing the "It's not my fault game". Carnival may not be concerned with nail fungus but they are concerned with the nail fungus source. 

There are still too many areas to cover and uncover. People are still trying to purchase fake Covid vaccine cards. What's the solution to that madness? Those individuals have never received a vaccine and could be potential super spreaders. These things are high risk stakes and very serious. 

Carnival could certainly announce later today that the mandate is lifted and we would all rejoice and start booking even more cruises. But at what premature costs?      

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You two are great at saying not much of anything....  a decision shortly about discontinuing testing, doing whatever is best for long-term survival, blah blah blah.

Do either of you have a specific opinion on what the cruise line will do before mid-August and why?

I wish I had a crystal ball, or inside info, but my specific opinion is that pre-cruise testing will be dropped by the end of August.  People are coming off cruises and developing covid within the week, if not days after debarking.  (and yes, I have first-hand knowledge of this due to our Facebook page for the Magic 6/28-7/6 sailing).  Pre-cruise testing doesn't change that.   Now that the CDC has changed their stance on testing I think the cruise lines will do what they have to do to keep solvent. Hope that satisfies you, and if not, not.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, pe4all said:

I wish I had a crystal ball, or inside info, but my specific opinion is that pre-cruise testing will be dropped by the end of August.  People are coming off cruises and developing covid within the week, if not days after debarking.  (and yes, I have first-hand knowledge of this due to our Facebook page for the Magic 6/28-7/6 sailing).  Pre-cruise testing doesn't change that.   Now that the CDC has changed their stance on testing I think the cruise lines will do what they have to do to keep solvent. Hope that satisfies you, and if not, not.

In fact, it does.  I don't have to share the opinion, but at least you have a considered one.

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Unless we have a designated chair at the Carnival Big Table Board of Directors all we have is speculation, opinions and experience. As long as we all have breath in our bodies we will all have opinions. Fact of Life.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

We have to accept that walking out our front door each morning carries risk. If we try to set the standard for cruising safely as covering every conceivable risk factor...then cruising disappears. 

If we are careless and don't consider all possibilities (insignificant or not) the Pandemic will again "Win" and shut the Industry down.  

• Like 2

I see on several posts the comments on fake vaccination cards. I cannot imagine someone putting themselves, other passengers and crew at risk doing this. A solution is the requirement to upload your cards 14+ days prior to your cruise date, and the cards can be reviewed, spot checked to make sure the cards are valid. If additional details are needed the cruise line can reach out to a passenger. If a non valid card is used, the cruise in cancelled and all monies on deposit forfeited. It is a crime to make fake government documents.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/exreq/pages/details.aspx?erid=1761

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

You two are great at saying not much of anything....  a decision shortly about discontinuing testing, doing whatever is best for long-term survival, blah blah blah.

Do either of you have a specific opinion on what the cruise line will do before mid-August and why?

Fact:  Any opinion on here is pure speculation, and the lines will do whatever is in their best interest (in their calculated business opinion) to survive.  In the end, I (and would assume most people) will be interested in facts....not opinions.

Opinion:   Haven't really formulated one yet on this subject that's worth sharing.  Like keeping an open mind on the whole subject, and enjoy reading others' opinions, as some are much more knowledgeable than I am.  (And no, I don't care one bit about what you would think about my opinion...nice try to goat me along tho).

Edited by bucfan2

I suspect Carnival will want to get the majority of destinations in the Caribbean in the same page in an attempt to simplify communication to current and prospective guests. There are a lot of people who think that because the requirements in one destination are X, that X will be the requirements in all destinations. That doesn't help when you could have X, Y, and Z requires on the same itinerary.

Even if Carnival is willing to change itineraries because one destination is still holding on to stricter protocols, finding an alternative port may be a challenge.

My younger brother just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska. Within 3 days he was sick and tested positive for Covid within the week.
Covid is going to spread, like a cold (albeit worse than a common cold). You cannot stop it 100%.
I agree that a person knows the risk when boarding a ship. We leave in 2 weeks. We know that the chance of us coming home with Covid are there. We are all in good health and willing to accept that fact.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ihearttravel11 said:

My younger brother just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska. Within 3 days he was sick and tested positive for Covid within the week.
Covid is going to spread, like a cold (albeit worse than a common cold). You cannot stop it 100%.
I agree that a person knows the risk when boarding a ship. We leave in 2 weeks. We know that the chance of us coming home with Covid are there. We are all in good health and willing to accept that fact.

The risk of getting COVID is everywhere. The ship is no different. It doesn't matter where you are.  It may or may not be like a cold. Everyone is different.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, topaz123 said:

Good points.....I wonder how many Pre Cruise testings give a positive result.  Out of thousands of embarking cruisers how many had a failed pre cruise. You're right...added cost for minimal result, toss in the angst of where to test, and running to the airport to test pre cruise...it's time to drop this in-effective burden.

My friend was all set to sail and I was all set to watch her dogs until she had to take the test and it showed positive, therefore her cruise was canceled.  

This was a couple months ago.. and it turned out it was a false positive, her doctor tested her and it was negative. 

• Like 2

Carnival is currently sticking with the CDC guidance of sailing with 95 percent of passengers vaccinated. However, the line will provide vaccine exemptions to children under 12 and adults who are not able to receive the vaccine to fill 5 percent of available berths. On cruises out of Long Beach and select fall sailings, Carnival will extend vaccine exemptions to travelers with religious beliefs that prevent them from getting vaccinated.

Unvaccinated passengers who wish to sail will need to be pre-approved during the booking process. The exemptions are not guaranteed and are capacity controlled. These guests will be required to follow specific health protocols and testing requirements, including providing a negative PCR test result at the port, taking an additional antigen test at embarkation and again 24 hours before the cruise ends, and only going ashore in controlled-environment "bubble" tours.

Cruisers departing from Florida and Texas who are not vaccinated must purchase travel insurance for their sailing. Unvaccinated guests sailing from those states, as well as Maryland and Louisiana, who cannot be vaccinated due to health reasons must provide a doctor's note confirming the medical exemption.

These policies will be in place until further notice.

https://cruise.blog/2021/09/cruise-lines-dont-require-covid-vaccines

Again we all have our personal opinions. I trust the Carnival Senior Leadership to do what's right for the corporation, their crews and for all of us. I trust that they will also not "Rush" the decisions based on the thirst for revenue; rather the thirst for "Safety".   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Again we all have our personal opinions. I trust the Carnival Senior Leadership to do what's right for the corporation, their crews and for all of us. I trust that they will also not "Rush" the decisions based on the thirst for revenue; rather the thirst for "Safety".   

Except my post wasn't an opinion it was a quote from an article.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, InNeedOfSaltWater said:

Except my post wasn't an opinion it was a quote from an article.

I believe the article you referenced was last updated in February, 2022.  Do you think it is still pertinent?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InNeedOfSaltWater said:

Carnival is currently sticking with the CDC guidance of sailing with 95 percent of passengers vaccinated. However, the line will provide vaccine exemptions to children under 12 and adults who are not able to receive the vaccine to fill 5 percent of available berths. On cruises out of Long Beach and select fall sailings, Carnival will extend vaccine exemptions to travelers with religious beliefs that prevent them from getting vaccinated.

Unvaccinated passengers who wish to sail will need to be pre-approved during the booking process. The exemptions are not guaranteed and are capacity controlled. These guests will be required to follow specific health protocols and testing requirements, including providing a negative PCR test result at the port, taking an additional antigen test at embarkation and again 24 hours before the cruise ends, and only going ashore in controlled-environment "bubble" tours.

Cruisers departing from Florida and Texas who are not vaccinated must purchase travel insurance for their sailing. Unvaccinated guests sailing from those states, as well as Maryland and Louisiana, who cannot be vaccinated due to health reasons must provide a doctor's note confirming the medical exemption.

These policies will be in place until further notice.

https://cruise.blog/2021/09/cruise-lines-dont-require-covid-vaccines

Some of this information is outdated.  It's always best to go directly to Carnival's site to find the most updated information.

Carnival doesn't sail in a vacuum.  (Even if some of you say they suck.  Lol.)

They sail to ports located in other countries with policies not governed by what the CDC says, some of which may still have requirements for COVID testing prior to sailing/arrival.  Like Canada, for example.  (Which is dumb on the part of Canada, since no widespread testing is required for any other method of entry, but Carnival can't fix that.)

Until all or almost all of those ports lift the pre-cruise test requirement, the big lines have no choice.

I tried looking around, but other than doing my own detailed research by hitting each country's website, I can't find anything that summarizes which countries/ports still require the tests.  Anyone have a link?  I hate speculating about what moves will be made by the cruise lines without all the data.

Caribbean ports WANT cruise ships...they equal money. I think the islands are interested on how we can get more cruise ships to our ports, so we can enjoy the $$$. How rigid could the Jamaican Department of Health be....I don't believe it would be tougher than the US CDC.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Carnival doesn't sail in a vacuum.  (Even if some of you say they suck.  Lol.)

They sail to ports located in other countries with policies not governed by what the CDC says, some of which may still have requirements for COVID testing prior to sailing/arrival.  Like Canada, for example.  (Which is dumb on the part of Canada, since no widespread testing is required for any other method of entry, but Carnival can't fix that.)

Until all or almost all of those ports lift the pre-cruise test requirement, the big lines have no choice.

I tried looking around, but other than doing my own detailed research by hitting each country's website, I can't find anything that summarizes which countries/ports still require the tests.  Anyone have a link?  I hate speculating about what moves will be made by the cruise lines without all the data.

Here's what I've found - it seems fairly "inclusive" of the tropical cruise destinations.  https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I just got booked my first Princess cruise for November, no vaccine required. Already approved to sail. Carnival better jump on the wagon and get some of this money. 

Well, Carnival Corp is quite happy to have you sail on Princess instead of CCL...

And instead of being vaxxed, you have to test twice, assuming you are doing a non-Canada trip from the US. Not sure that is better for some people.

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, Carnival Corp is quite happy to have you sail on Princess instead of CCL...

And instead of being vaxxed, you have to test twice, assuming you are doing a non-Canada trip from the US. Not sure that is better for some people.

Fort Lauderdale and I do not mind testing as long as I can cruise without the vaccine. 

• Like 3