Will Carnival Follow Princess Easing Vaccine Restrictions

sunonfire

1 hour ago, blondestickchick said:

Here's what I've found - it seems fairly "inclusive" of the tropical cruise destinations.  https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

Thanks for that!  That is what I was looking for, but my Google-Fu failed me.

Scanning through, it seem like about 20 to 25% still require pre-arrival testing (even if vaxxed), and most require require testing if not vaxxed (and some don't allow entry if not vaxxed).

So IMHO there is still enough testing req'ts to not expect a rapid switch in Testing Expectations right now.  Maybe by August.  I will happily be proved wrong by Carnival dropping it sooner, though.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 3:07 PM, Itried4498 said:

...because I'm sure Virgin and its whopping ONE ship operating from the US is oh-so-influential.

Maybe Carnival's keeping a careful eye on Margaritaville of the Seas as well!

Add Azamara to the mix, but all three lines together have SEVEN ships.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 11:32 PM, trpschick said:

It doesn’t matter if the cruise lines relax their restrictions if you’re unvaccinated. You may be able to be on board the ship but you won’t be able to get off at any port so what’s the point?

That would be excellent.  Give me a cruise to nowhere so port charges only pertain to the embarkation port.  I know it won't happen, but a girl can dream.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:17 PM, Drazil65 said:

Yes, we ordered some yesterday.

Be sure to check the expiration dates when you get them.  Still seeing people getting the tests with a 8/21/22 expiration date (they sail after that in September).  

Exactly, received 8 of them with that expiration date and they are worthless.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Name another business where 5000 people are together for a week in a confined space?  Won't hold my breath for your answer.

Any all inclusive resort, music festivals, etc. Except those can have thousands of people coming together a few days (or longer) at a time and then moving on to the next large event, no shots or testing needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Name another business where 5000 people are together for a week in a confined space?  Won't hold my breath for your answer.

Except the 5000 people are spread out all over. Hardly confining

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 11:32 PM, trpschick said:

It doesn’t matter if the cruise lines relax their restrictions if you’re unvaccinated. You may be able to be on board the ship but you won’t be able to get off at any port so what’s the point?

This would be fine with us. We have cruised so often now that we hardly ever get off in the ports anymore and when we do we only walk around for twenty minutes and get back on. We cruise for the ships and I would be happy to stay onboard. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, asalligo said:

This would be fine with us. We have cruised so often now that we hardly ever get off in the ports anymore and when we do we only walk around for twenty minutes and get back on. We cruise for the ships and I would be happy to stay onboard. 

That's up to the cruiser. That's their concern and only their concern 

19 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

All inclusive resorts do not hold 5000 people.  Music festivals are completely outside and last for a weekend, not 7 days.   The prison comparison is applicable, your choices are not.

Show me a restaurant show bar on a ship that holds 5000 people. Or are they just like establishments on shore, where you have no idea about anyone's status.

• Like 3

Here ya go

Cruise lines like Carnival  (CCL) - Get Carnival Corporation Report now are able to board passengers without covid tests, which will not only speed up the boarding process, but also give a sigh of relief for travelers. Travelers were subjected to passing a covid test less than 2 days before being able to board the cruise lines. If someone tested positive, they wouldn’t be allowed to embark with the rest of the cruise line passengers, canceling or ruining their vacations.

TheStreet: Carnival Cruise Lines Brings Back a Fan Favorite.
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-carnival-camp-ocean

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And instead of being vaxxed, you have to test twice, assuming you are doing a non-Canada trip from the US. Not sure that is better for some people.

Previously, those without a vaccine had zero choice. With this, they have a choice. More options for more people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InNeedOfSaltWater said:

Here ya go

Cruise lines like Carnival  (CCL) - Get Carnival Corporation Report now are able to board passengers without covid tests, which will not only speed up the boarding process, but also give a sigh of relief for travelers. Travelers were subjected to passing a covid test less than 2 days before being able to board the cruise lines. If someone tested positive, they wouldn’t be allowed to embark with the rest of the cruise line passengers, canceling or ruining their vacations.

As far as I am aware, no policies have changed. Why do I see a PR nightmare of 100 or 200 passengers not getting tested stating the CDC dropped requirements?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asalligo said:

I just got booked my first Princess cruise for November, no vaccine required. Already approved to sail. Carnival better jump on the wagon and get some of this money. 

There is a 10% maximum number of unvaccinated allowed on Princess on a first come first served basis.  You still need to do pre cruise Covid testing as well.

Carnival, as well as Royal, NCL and MSC will do what they feel is the best thing for their line when it's the right time, whether that's increasing the percentage of unvaccinated from 5% to 10% or eliminating pre cruise testing.

2 hours ago, InNeedOfSaltWater said:

Here ya go

I have never heard of that website before your post. If you listen to them and not Carnival, you will be watching the ship sail away from the pier.

3 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

Show me a restaurant show bar on a ship that holds 5000 people. Or are they just like establishments on shore, where you have no idea about anyone's status.

But establishments on shore are not confined like when you're on a ship.  Why can't you grasp the fact that you're comparing an apple to an orange? And everyone on board the ship has been pre tested, unlike any restaurant, any all inclusive, any airline and any other comparison you want to try to make.

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

With an expiration date 40 days after receiving them, making them worthless.

Many of the tests have an updated expiration date. Scroll down and there are links with updated expiration dates.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, asalligo said:

I just got booked my first Princess cruise for November, no vaccine required. Already approved to sail. Carnival better jump on the wagon and get some of this money. 

How did you get approved? Did you have to book first and put your deposit down? What if the unvaxxed is over limit? Do you get your deposit back?

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

But establishments on shore are not confined like when you're on a ship.  Why can't you grasp the fact that you're comparing an apple to an orange? And everyone on board the ship has been pre tested, unlike any restaurant, any all inclusive, any airline and any other comparison you want to try to make.

If you think you are confined on a cruise ship, I feel for you. If you are unable to see that on board or on land is the same. I feel for you

• Like 1

9 hours ago, asalligo said:

Well said and congrats! Have an awesome cruise!

On 7/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, bguppies said:

No but the first of the big three to get rid of precruise testing will be getting all my money until Carnival decides to wise up.

I have two cruises booked already, but my next cruise will be with whoever drops the theatrics.

Smart decisions based in reality will drive the market and decide which lines survive and which do not.

I'm fine if lines do or do not drop the vaccine reqyurement.

I do not care about anybody else's vaccine status

But the precruise testing clearly isn't working with how many people are coming home with covid after their cruise.

So having an ineffective tool that just places an added cost and time waste upon the cruiser is simply stupid.

Spot on, but that vaccine requirement needs to go bye bye already, enough is enough.

Edited by mkdreams
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, mkdreams said:

Spot on, but that vaccine requirement needs to go bye bye already, enough is enough.

No, the TESTING requirement should be the first to go, as most people ARE fully vaccinated. :classic_wink:

2 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

If you think you are confined on a cruise ship, I feel for you. If you are unable to see that on board or on land is the same. I feel for you

No need to feel for me at all,  I fully understand the difference between being on a cruise ship and being on land.  You're certainly more confined on a cruise ship though than you are on land.  In the middle of the ocean you're confined, while on land, you're not.  Even a second grader than grasp that concept.  On a cruise ship you interact with the same 4000-5000 people on board while on land depending upon what you do for a living or where you live you could interact with more or less than that number, but geographically the numbers you interact with are spread out and while on a cruise they are not.

And if on board and on land are the same, IYHO, then why do cruisers have pre cruise testing before they vacation, while those on land do not?

• Like 2