CDC ends all restrictions as of July 18th (TODAY!!)

1 minute ago, notscb said:

Genuinely curious- how does a major cruise line simply change their ports when the shore excursion and tourism infrastructure for 4,000 people doesn't exist at many ports?

Sorry, should have been more exact. the suggestion is that they would change their itineraries to avoid ports that still require testing

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Yesterday I read that Carnival and Royal are waiting on CDC clarification before deciding what to do next.

They were waiting for the new CDC guidelines (which are now suggestions) They came out last night

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Edited by molly361

3 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I think we probably wouldn't be dealing with the strains we are today if enough people had done what was necessary and got vaccinated early on. But we will never know for sure. 

Unfortunately the vaccine roll out was not global and equal, there are still massive areas of population who have not been able to be vaccinated.  There will always be new strains of covid. However it has been scientifically proven that the Vaccine will help reduce severe illness from catching covid. Over time, and bearing in mind the vaccines have been around less then 3 years covid will be reduced to a common cold. 

The only thing i know 100% i would like to keep is all staff and passengers be vaccinated. You wont stop getting covid on the ship but hopefully will reduce the severity of covid. 

Testing i am 50/50. Yes will stop some positive cases but causes too much stress/costs for passengers, esp those who are travelling from far away.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Unfortunately the vaccine roll out was not global and equal, there are still massive areas of population who have not been able to be vaccinated.  There will always be new strains of covid. However it has been scientifically proven that the Vaccine will help reduce severe illness from catching covid. Over time, and bearing in mind the vaccines have been around less then 3 years covid will be reduced to a common cold. 

The only thing i know 100% i would like to keep is all staff and passengers be vaccinated. You wont stop getting covid on the ship but hopefully will reduce the severity of covid. 

Testing i am 50/50. Yes will stop some positive cases but causes too much stress/costs for passengers, esp those who are travelling from far away.

Yeah, I totally am with you, I just mean if we lived in a perfect world, the vaccine that was originally created probably would have solved the problem early on. But like you said, we do not live in a perfect world so here we are 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That is July 18 old news. The are waiting for clarification from the CDC. That was yesterday 7/20

Yesterday was the clarification they will receive. They are determining their policy moving forward as we type and should announce today or tomorrow. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That is July 18 old news. The are waiting for clarification from the CDC. That was yesterday 7/20

July 18th is when the CDC lifted the restrictions.  When they posted on the 18th they said Guidance to follow.  The guidance was posted sometime last night.  The new guidance posted came out yesterday 7/20-  You have to click on the link

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid-19-cruise-ship-guidance.html

Edited by molly361
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

July 18th is when the CDC lifted the restrictions.  When they posted on the 18th they said Guidance to follow.  The guidance was posted sometime last night.  The new guidance posted came out yesterday 7/20-  You have to click on the link

July 20,2022

The decision allows cruise operators to make their own rules when it comes to health and safety protocols. Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival have started that they are waiting for further guidance from the CDC to be released before they make any decisions.

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So basically as I read it. The recommend no changes for testing 3 days prior to the cruise. It that what you read from it?

July 20,2022

The decision allows cruise operators to make their own rules when it comes to health and safety protocols. Both Royal Caribbean and Carnival have started that they are waiting for further guidance from the CDC to be released before they make any decisions.

Again, those are quotes from before last night’s guidelines were released. Royal released a new statement today:

CDC Guidance for Cruises Departing the U.S.

The U.S. CDC recently announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect, and published recommendations to guide cruise lines as they determine protocols. Upon review, we will adjust our protocols and provide guidance to our guests. For now, our current protocols remain in effect for cruises departing U.S. homeports. See current protocols.

They await nothing further from the CDC. They are making a decision now and will announce it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:13 PM, Another_Critic said:

How's the ventilation in a jammed packed airport?

Or on the airplane itself when the flight crew turns off the a/c before the doors are even open? 

12 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Again, those are quotes from before last night’s guidelines were released. Royal released a new statement today:

CDC Guidance for Cruises Departing the U.S.

The U.S. CDC recently announced that the COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect, and published recommendations to guide cruise lines as they determine protocols. Upon review, we will adjust our protocols and provide guidance to our guests. For now, our current protocols remain in effect for cruises departing U.S. homeports. See current protocols.

They await nothing further from the CDC. They are making a decision now and will announce it. 

I see no difference from what we are required to do now. Do you?

I see a huge difference. Before, they were requirements for a program the cruise lines wanted to participate in. Now they are just recommendations. 

The CDC makes a lot of recommendations that are ignored. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

I see a huge difference. Before, they were requirements for a program the cruise lines wanted to participate in. Now they are just recommendations. 

The CDC makes a lot of recommendations that are ignored. 

That is obvious. I do not see any changes in the recommendations themselves. Reads the same as always. Cruise lines now have the option of changing or not.

4 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That is why everyone is waiting to see how the cruise lines react. They will post new policies as soon as they have evaluated the information.

2 hours ago, notscb said:

I don't think that's what they said.

Here's what they wrote ... "keep the testing going.  I was vaccinated and booster twice but still got Covid, along with my wife, on our recent Alaskan cruise (June 13 - 20)."

They got Covid, testing didn't stop it, thus my statement:  "you proved [testing] didn't prevent you from getting Covid"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

They got Covid, testing didn't stop it

Right, but if you read their post again, they aren't claiming that testing would be the way to stop everyone from getting covid on a cruise.

The way I'm reading it is they're saying "Ideally, we would live in a world where nobody would get covid from cruising (their words), and until that is truly possible, continue testing."

See the difference in how we're interpreting this?

7 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

Let's try this again since I obviously upset someone with my last post. 

Here is an expert confirming why you are wrong and spreading misinformation. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/coronavirusfrontlines/2022/06/15/can-we-eradicate-covid-probably-not-an-infectious-disease-doctor-explains-the-challenges/?sh=7b7dd7f45455

From the article you posted:

"In the 1900s, there was also a strong belief in the ability of science and vaccines to solve medical problems."

"Eliminating a disease requires unity of will and effort. We had enormous international consensus behind the smallpox eradication effort – in fact, the effort was first proposed by the Soviet Union. Somehow, I don’t think we could achieve such cooperation today"

If we want to see a world where we don't have to even have these discussions about vaccines and covid when it comes to cruising, we would all need to abandon our propensity for individualism and work toward the collective good.  The poster wasn't spreading misinformation, according to your own source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Maybe not a difference, but here is a part that they are already ignoring. I doubt they will go back to testing B2B cruisers, so if they are ok ignoring that part, they should be open to ignoring other parts as well.

• Cruise ship operators should consider testing all passengers on back-to-back sailings [4] prior to the ship sailing on the next voyage.

P&O announcing changes today too.  Honor system for testing:

The tests will still need to be done within two days before embarking on the ship for all guests aged five years and over. The test doesn’t need to be medically observed, and P&O Cruises will accept over-the-counter COVID-19 lateral flow/antigen tests.

During the embarkation process, guests will be asked if they have indeed taken the test when they are filling out the pre-embarkation health questionnaire. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/po-cruises-informs-guests-of-updated-testing-policy/77035

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 2