NEW CDC CRUISE RULES END TO TESTING ?

morpheusofthesea

30 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

No..The article says nothing about testing.

It says nothing about any of the protocols. It says those will be coming in the next few a days as guidance. 

I’d opine that there is an elevated chance of some changes to come, but by no means anything certain as yet. 

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Check directly with your cruise line about their testing or vaccination protocols before travel.

If your cruise line does not have a testing requirement, get tested for current infection with a COVID-19 viral test as close to time of cruise departure as possible (no more than 3 days before you travel).

Get tested again with a COVID-19 viral test 3-5 days after your cruise.

I guess the 'ball is now in the cruise lines court'?

Edited by morpheusofthesea
BOLD statement

6 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Pre-embarkation Testing

If your cruise line does not have a testing requirement, get tested for current infection with a viral test (no more than 3 days) before boarding a cruise ship, regardless of your vaccination status. Get your test results before you board your cruise."

• Like 1

It is up to the cruise lines now as to what their requirements will be. The requirements of the ports visited obviously determine what the cruise lines will do on a specific itinerary. 

The first cruise line to eliminate vaccine & testing requirements on itineraries where it is not required by the ports visited  will have a huge advantage and should see an increase in bookings.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

The first cruise line to eliminate vaccine & testing requirements on itineraries where it is not required by the ports visited  will have a huge advantage and should see an increase in bookings.

I don’t know if this is true. There are two camps of people out there. (And for the love of god please let’s not debate which camp is right.) There are people opposed to vaccines and testing. But there are also people out there who welcome the precautions and don’t want to sail on the “line for the unvaxxed and untested.” 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Most Caribbean ports  still require vaccines and testing. Belize is the first to drop all protocols, and I hope other islands follow.

This is incorrect. Numerous ports in the Caribbean have dropped all protocols.

Here is a list of places in the Caribbean with absolutely no protocols. No vaccine requirement. No testing requirement. Wide open. The list grows daily. 

Mexico

Belize

Aruba

Bahamas

Barbados

Bonaire

Tortolla

Virgin Gorda

Curaco

Dominican Republic

Grenada

Haiti

Jamaica

Puerto Rico

Cuba

Trinidad

Tobago

These currently allow unvaccinated but require a test

US Virgin islands

St Lucia

St Vincent

St Martin

St Barts

Dominica

There are only few islands remaining that require vaccination

Grand Cayman

Turks and Caicos

Antigua

Martinique

St Kitts

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, JT1962 said:

It is up to the cruise lines now as to what their requirements will be. The requirements of the ports visited obviously determine what the cruise lines will do on a specific itinerary.

Your second sentence here is the pertinent one. Regarding requirements being up to the cruise lines instead of the CDC, that has been true for sailings out of Florida for quite some time.

Pre cruise testing is a pain, but it does provide (although not infallible) a level of health safety. I wonder how all those cheering for the termination of the testing would react if they were infected on board due to irresponsible passengers.  If the testing is eliminated, it becomes more important that vaccination should still be required and that, at a minimum, the cruises lines should temperature check passengers upon arrival at the terminal.

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Yes, the CDC went to a voluntary program months ago, however, most, if not all, of the major cruise lines did opt in to participate in that program and we’re following the guidelines of the CDC, which required vaccines (for most) and testing to be included in their ratings.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bac513 said:

Pre cruise testing is a pain, but it does provide (although not infallible) a level of health safety. I wonder how all those cheering for the termination of the testing would react if they were infected on board due to irresponsible passengers.  If the testing is eliminated, it becomes more important that vaccination should still be required and that, at a minimum, the cruises lines should temperature check passengers upon arrival at the terminal.

I think testing is almost just a false sense of security.  I got COVID after an 8 night cruise.   It was the 4th cruise I’ve done since COVID but the others were 5, 6, and 4 night cruises.   I think with longer cruises, you all test negative 2-3 days before but then people get exposed while traveling and become symptomatic while on boat and then it spreads.  On shorter cruises, if your exposed 1-2 days before getting on boat, you’re not as likely to get symptoms and be contagious till your off the boat.  

I mean the testing does stop those who already have COVID from boarding but there is still lots of exposure that can still happen.   It’s just the risk of cruising.  

I’ve also gotten the Flu from cruising so it’s always something. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bac513 said:

My guess is they would react the same as if they were infected at the airport, restaurant, grocery store, gamily gatherings, school, work etc....

Edited by kilkoyne
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, cmp03 said:

I think testing is almost just a false sense of security.  I got COVID after an 8 night cruise.   It was the 4th cruise I’ve done since COVID but the others were 5, 6, and 4 night cruises.   I think with longer cruises, you all test negative 2-3 days before but then people get exposed while traveling and become symptomatic while on boat and then it spreads.  On shorter cruises, if your exposed 1-2 days before getting on boat, you’re not as likely to get symptoms and be contagious till your off the boat.  

I mean the testing does stop those who already have COVID from boarding but there is still lots of exposure that can still happen.   It’s just the risk of cruising.  

I’ve also gotten the Flu from cruising so it’s always something. 

I agree that testing will not eliminate the potential exposure during the cruise. However, it does reduce the potential for exposure when boarding. Wearing a mask may also give a false sense of security but we wear masks in crowded areas (e.g. on board shows) and grocery stores.

3 hours ago, bac513 said:

I wonder how all those cheering for the termination of the testing would react if they were infected on board due to irresponsible passengers.  

I got Covid on my cruise in June (3rd this year) and am thrilled at the possibility of eliminating the testing / vaccine requirements. That cruise required proof of vaccine and testing and did not prevent me or multiple others onboard from catching Covid (multiple reports within the social media group for that cruise). I am booked again in October and am hoping the testing for sure will be gone. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, bac513 said:

False sense of wellness!

Test on Thursday, fly on Friday, board on Saturday.

In May we did a B2B with DD. She is an RN fully vaccinated w/2 boosters. She got off ship. Next day positive. Many others on that ship got home and tested positive.

Just got off Seashore. Many people posted after they got home on Saturday that they tested positive.

Four cruises where pre-test required, yet many people tested positive after they got home.

What about the 71M that have not been vaccinated? What about the people in the ports we visit?

Even staff on ship were quarantined during our 4 cruises. There is no social distancing on the ship. Getting off at ports, just like sardines. Entering Buffet/MDR/Shows the same.

No answer!

Edited by Oxo