Why Don't ALL Cruise Lines Test At the Embarkation Pier

mcrcruiser

We are 83 each & have enjoyed HAK & other cruise lines for a total of 87 cruises when there was no virus danger

Just Seems to me that  the cruise lines would benefit by testing at the  pier because  getting tested 2 or 3 days prior to boarding DOES NOT mean that a person could be  asymtomatic ,not showing signs of the virus yet can infect many other pax  ,on the ships

Is there really any reason why all cruise lines could not  test at the pier to lessen  the probability of serious  cases  .They could even stager arrival times to lessen back up crowds 

Unless cruise lines take a more proactive approach ,we & probably  many other seniors will  not cruise .Who wants to get sick  or worse ? With Princess we have over $1300 in future cruise credits & will loose them the end of this year if we do not cruise before   Dec 31st , We decided our well being was more important

• Like 2

Testing at the pier doesn't catch all the cases - only the people who got infected early enough ago for it to be detectable.  People need to decide whether living their lives includes cruising or not - and be done with it.  Everything carries some risk - and though I'm not in my 80's yet I will continue to do everything I want to do (including cruising) because I have no way of knowing when my days will be over.  Covid these days is no big deal to "almost" everyone who is vaccinated (& boosted to some degree), so it's time for cruise lines to stop all the testing and quarantining and let things get back to normal.  Let the passengers decide for themselves what level of risk they're comfortable taking.

As an aside - I'm mid 60's, 3 time cancer survivor but no other health issues, went to work every single day while much of the country was shut down, do not wear a mask unless required, have been dining inside in restaurants since May 2020, multiple trips to Disney, couple cruises, been around people positive with covid numerous times, fully vaccinated, 1 booster - and I've never had covid.  I trust my immune system, since it obviously works (except for cancer <g>).  Most of the people I work closely with have also never had it - yet we're "old" and have constant exposure. I haven't figured that one out.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’m still very careful.  I’m one of the few that still wears a mask in several places.  Also had my second booster today.  Being forced to have a covid test at the pier would be a deal breaker for me because I pretty much have to fly anywhere to cruise.  If I test positive I’m stuck.  You live in San Diego so if you cruise from there you just go back home.  Not practical for a lot of us.

• Like 2

First off, it would be a logistical nightmare, even staggering boarding times everyone would still ***** and moan and show up when it suited them.

Secondly, nobody who has to travel there wants to be denied boarding at the pier and be forced to quarantine away from home.

And finally, a rapid test likely won’t pick up any infection caught 2 days prior to boarding anyway.

Two + years into this pandemic I think we are all aware anything we choose to do now comes with some degree of exposure risk. Unfortunately it’s not ideal for everyone

• Like 4

OP you have stated on many post that you have opted not to cruise due to age and underlying conditions. That must be a hard and sad decision to make but why keep bringing up these questions.

This week Azamara announced no pre testing required and I expect other lines will follow. There is already three week test run on Rotterdam on not pretesting.

There are many of us who are of age with underlying conditions and have had Covid and experienced minor cold like symptoms after being fully vaccinated and boosted. As evidenced by our President this week most likely all of us will eventually have a case of Covid and hopefully have minor symptoms.

I’m in Edinburgh, Scotland this week and folks wearing mask is rare. Flying over few mask being worn and from recent travels that seems to be the norm.We wore mask in airport, while boarding flight and finally trusted the planes air circulation once airborne.

In our case we would rather spend our last traveling years traveling than sitting at home wishing and dreaming. 
Sorry you have chosen under your circumstances not to cruise. With all your cruising history you have many wonderful memories.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are 83 each & have enjoyed HAK & other cruise lines for a total of 87 cruises when there was no virus danger

Just Seems to me that  the cruise lines would benefit by testing at the  pier because  getting tested 2 or 3 days prior to boarding DOES NOT mean that a person could be  asymtomatic ,not showing signs of the virus yet can infect many other pax  ,on the ships

Is there really any reason why all cruise lines could not  test at the pier to lessen  the probability of serious  cases  .They could even stager arrival times to lessen back up crowds 

Unless cruise lines take a more proactive approach ,we & probably  many other seniors will  not cruise .Who wants to get sick  or worse ? With Princess we have over $1300 in future cruise credits & will loose them the end of this year if we do not cruise before   Dec 31st , We decided our well being was more important

Because they dont care

I know some treat Cruise Critic like their Facebook account (or better yet, they claim they don't use social media!?), but this post is sad on so many levels...but not even close to topical since cruise lines are getting closer to no restrictions than more restrictions.  But cool story, bro.

This subject was hotly debated about a year ago, when cruising resumed.  Wasn't NCL testing at the pier for a brief period?  And everyone wanted to know why other lines weren't doing that.

It's not going to happen.  Especially not now.

I caught Covid while on Zuiderdam a few weeks ago.  Didn't know it until I got home.  Very mild cold symptoms (milder than the actual cold I'd had a couple of months prior).  I have 32 nights B2B2B on Carnival beginning in October.  Talked to my GP and she recommended I get my flu shot as soon as that's available (end of August, probably), then get my 2nd Covid booster 2-3 weeks later (which may be modified for newer variants by then).  I should have as much immunity by the time I sail as possible.

I'm willing to accept the risk that I could be re-infected.

• Like 2

Some folks are going to continue to have anxiety issues for many years that are related to COVID.  Nothing we can say or do is going to alleviate their issues.  But many of us have learned to live with COVID and its related rules and simply moved on with our lives.  In our case we resumed our travel schedule in June of 2020 (after worrying about COVID for about 3 months) and had even posted here on CC, "what do you think will change in two years?"  My point (at the time) was that COVID is here to stay and folks will either adapt or not!

So, it is the same today.  We do not care if we are required to test 2 days before, at the pier, on the ship, after the cruise, etc.  Why get concerned as it is just a fact of life that if you want to travel/cruise you must follow the protocols.  Otherwise, just stay home and whine to your friends about having to stay home!

In late March we flew to Florida to embark on a 27 day Seabourn cruise (to Monte Carlo).  We got an antigen test at home and expected to be tested at the port prior to embarkation.  It was a big surprise (to everyone on the cruise) that Seabourn had recently decided to stop testing at the port so we all quickly checked-in and were soon on the ship.  Within a few days (the first 9 days were at sea) there were numerous COVID cases on our ship.  If we had all been tested at the pier there likely would have also been numerous cases onboard since it only takes one to infect an entire ship and testing is just not that effective.  Anyone who was exposed (and contracted) COVID during their trip to Florida would have tested negative because of the normal incubation period.

So folks, we can continue these threads and argue about the various testing protocols but the reality is that if you want to travel/cruise you simply book your trip and go along with the program.  Otherwise, you can continue to whine here on CC about the rules or lack of rules as life continues to move on.   Some folks continue to put themselves into a straitjacket and then whine that they are in a straitjacket.  That is nothing new and I assume there has been a huge increase in those with agorophobia.  Those folks will just have to work it out on their own of with some professional help.

Hank

Hank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

@mcrcruiser would you cruise if they tested at the pier?

NO!!!

Months ago, Our group of 20 flew from US to Greece for a cruise.

12 of us tested negative at home day before flight to Greece, the other 8 were stupid enough to "wing it" & get tested at the pier in Greece.

Sure enough, 4 of them tested positive.

16 of us went onboard & enjoyed the cruise.

Those 4 who tested positive at the pier got to spend 10 days in quarantine hell hotel in Greece.

We now learned that to always get tested at home first, so that if you're positive, stay& rest in the comfort of home.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Some folks are going to continue to have anxiety issues for many years that are related to COVID.  Nothing we can say or do is going to alleviate their issues.  But many of us have learned to live with COVID and its related rules and simply moved on with our lives.  In our case we resumed our travel schedule in June of 2020 (after worrying about COVID for about 3 months) and had even posted here on CC, "what do you think will change in two years?"  My point (at the time) was that COVID is here to stay and folks will either adapt or not!

So, it is the same today.  We do not care if we are required to test 2 days before, at the pier, on the ship, after the cruise, etc.  Why get concerned as it is just a fact of life that if you want to travel/cruise you must follow the protocols.  Otherwise, just stay home and whine to your friends about having to stay home!

In late March we flew to Florida to embark on a 27 day Seabourn cruise (to Monte Carlo).  We got an antigen test at home and expected to be tested at the port prior to embarkation.  It was a big surprise (to everyone on the cruise) that Seabourn had recently decided to stop testing at the port so we all quickly checked-in and were soon on the ship.  Within a few days (the first 9 days were at sea) there were numerous COVID cases on our ship.  If we had all been tested at the pier there likely would have also been numerous cases onboard since it only takes one to infect an entire ship and testing is just not that effective.  Anyone who was exposed (and contracted) COVID during their trip to Florida would have tested negative because of the normal incubation period.

So folks, we can continue these threads and argue about the various testing protocols but the reality is that if you want to travel/cruise you simply book your trip and go along with the program.  Otherwise, you can continue to whine here on CC about the rules or lack of rules as life continues to move on.   Some folks continue to put themselves into a straitjacket and then whine that they are in a straitjacket.  That is nothing new and I assume there has been a huge increase in those with agorophobia.  Those folks will just have to work it out on their own of with some professional help.

Hank

Hank

Hank covid variant illness  is   rising in San Diego county once again .  

I don't tell people not to cruise ;but there are people  getting sick on cruise ships & worse . From what I read on this thread all the posts are mainly from people who will cruise regardless . However ,Carnival stock is below $10 per share   & RCL is in the $30s .This in  its self  tells a  lot  about the future  of this industry . 

This forum represents such a small fraction of the people who cruise & have cruised . Thus , the above selling prices of their stocks  speaks volumes 

With all the medical science & technology that is available now & in the future ,we can only hope that there is a safer way to cruise . 

It just seemed to me that any one who must fly to a cruise port would take a test prior to  flying in & then test again  in the port city. It is absolutely correct that even one person  with this virus will infect many on any vessel  .

We dearly miss cruising but we consider  out health  more of a priority . Thus ,we will travel  more locally  by our own car  & protect ourselves accordingly 

We wish you safe voyages . This is my last post regards to this   topic .

43 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

I don't tell people not to cruise ;but there are people  getting sick on cruise ships & worse . From what I read on this thread all the posts are mainly from people who will cruise regardless . However ,Carnival stock is below $10 per share   & RCL is in the $30s .This in  its self  tells a  lot  about the future  of this industry . 

This forum represents such a small fraction of the people who cruise & have cruised . Thus , the above selling prices of their stocks  speaks volumes 

With all the medical science & technology that is available now & in the future ,we can only hope that there is a safer way to cruise . 

It just seemed to me that any one who must fly to a cruise port would take a test prior to  flying in & then test again  in the port city. It is absolutely correct that even one person  with this virus will infect many on any vessel  .

We dearly miss cruising but we consider  out health  more of a priority . Thus ,we will travel  more locally  by our own car  & protect ourselves accordingly 

One cannot argue with your info or logic.  It is all true.  No question that the BA.4 and BA.5 variants are sweeping through the USA.  Nobody really knows how many cases because many are not even diagnosed (often mistaken and common colds) and others are just not reported.  In fact, just about everyone we know who have recently had COVID, self-tested at home and simply recovered at home.  One guy told me he called his physician who was not concerned (because he had relatively mild symptoms) and just told him to take Tylenol and stay home until he was better.  

Where does that leave cruising?  I again ask the question I asked two years ago which is what will be different next year or in two years.  We will likely have a new vaccine (formulated to better deal with BA.4 and BA.5) in the Fall.  Many folks will get that shot (including me) and many will not!  Meanwhile, COVID will continue to morph into some new variant (it is the nature of Coronaviruses) which will likely be resistant to the new vaccine.  So another vaccine will be formulated, folks will get another booster, and the virus will morph into another variant.  And so, it goes...perhaps forever!   And hence we get into this cycle of vaccines chasing a changing virus which can be like a never ending steeple chase.  

So while your logic is solid, if you follow it to its logical conclusion, you will never be able to cruise or fly again.  As to "hoping" there will someday be a safer way to cruise....well I guess hope springs eternal. 

And of course, nobody who stays at home in California will ever get COVID?   I will go off and look for a study that shows "staying close to home" protects us from COVID.  But the more than 1.5 million cases that have happened in NZ sure put a dent in the "staying near home" and zero virus theories.

Hank

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Why would you test before you fly then at the port🙄.  Talk about overkill.  I’m still very worried about catching covid but this is overkill.  I know several people that have gotten covid lately.  None of them them have been flying or on a cruise ship.  There are so few restrictions now for those that don’t care to follow any, why would this be surprising? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Why don't they test 1000-2500 people at the pier? Can you say "tremendous logistical problem"?

yea that would be headache and how to isolate folks who test positive.

I mean the cruise lines are not in the medical business and covid is far enough along there is no need to test at the pier.