NCL booking process changed?

Sleddogs

Not sure if this has been addressed in the past, please bear with me.  We have not cruised since 2018.  We are hoping to return to Alaska next year.  I was researching Alaska cruises on NCL and noticed their booking process has changed.  I used to be able to see the deck plan and pick out the cabin I desired.  We always prefer an aft cabin and I know they sell out quickly.  Is there a way I can choose my own cabin?  I am not happy with what NCL is choosing for me.  Thank you very much.

8 minutes ago, Sleddogs said:

Not sure if this has been addressed in the past, please bear with me.  We have not cruised since 2018.  We are hoping to return to Alaska next year.  I was researching Alaska cruises on NCL and noticed their booking process has changed.  I used to be able to see the deck plan and pick out the cabin I desired.  We always prefer an aft cabin and I know they sell out quickly.  Is there a way I can choose my own cabin?  I am not happy with what NCL is choosing for me.  Thank you very much.

Under the cabin they choose for you, it should show: "Choose a Different Stateroom"

Oddly enough - I've been browsing for a possible cruise in March next year and have found that the Escape is NOT offering a "pick your own room" option in the same category as other similar ships do.  If I pick the balcony on the Escape with Free-at-sea offers (so, NOT the sail-away), it comes up as a guarantee and does not offer that option.

Picking the same stateroom type on the Joy assigns me a stateroom and gives the opportunity to pick a different room.

Screenshots for proof 

Joy - 

image.thumb.png.2be393c6ddd9acc1cf927aabf5fe031a.png

Escape -

image.thumb.png.fc27f380d7163978341a26a408770ef4.png

So it seems not every ship offers the option.  I'm not sure if this is an indication of how full the ship is or if this is a difference between ships.

23 minutes ago, hallux said:

Oddly enough - I've been browsing for a possible cruise in March next year and have found that the Escape is NOT offering a "pick your own room" option in the same category as other similar ships do.  If I pick the balcony on the Escape with Free-at-sea offers (so, NOT the sail-away), it comes up as a guarantee and does not offer that option.

Quite possibly, some schools might have SPRING BREAK during your chosen week, which could explain the lack of rooms for your search. (Or maybe, weekend system glitch.) 

51 minutes ago, hallux said:

Picking the same stateroom type on the Joy assigns me a stateroom and gives the opportunity to pick a different room.

So it seems not every ship offers the option.  I'm not sure if this is an indication of howfull the ship is or if this is a difference between ships.

So, before jumping to incorrect conclusions, you could have checked a couple of other cabin classes. Your screen shots say that the best standard balcony being offered is a Guarantee. That is, the cabin class has no rooms to reserve. Since that time, all standard balconies have been completely booked and there are no standard balconies being offered (even Gaurantees).  

If you pick other cabin classes like an Aft-Facing Balcony, rooms are available and additional selections are available (Choose Your Own Room). 

So, it is not that the Escape does not offer room selection. It is that the room you picked is sold out on that voyage. Lots of rooms are available in other cabin classes. 

And, keep checking since rooms may open up over time due to cancellations and upgrades. Also, the biggest travel agents are often given blocks of rooms on consignment and will release unsold rooms closer to cruise date. 

But, if you need to sail during spring break on this specific cruise, you'll need to accept a lesser or more expensive room that you originally tried booking. 

image.png.f6068b9f941b18117d6f7b576e17bfd7.png

Edited by BirdTravels

It seems to actually be a website glitch.  The line "Choose a different stateroom" does not always appear regardless of which ship you are trying to book.  I've had it happen a couple of different times on various ships over the past few months and others reported the same when it was discussed on here.  I just waited a few hours or until the next day and found that the "choose" line had miraculously reappeared.  You can wait a bit and try again or just call NCL. 

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you pick other cabin classes like an Aft-Facing Balcony, rooms are available and additional selections are available (Choose Your Own Room). 

So, it is not that the Escape does not offer room selection. It is that the room you picked is sold out on that voyage. Lots of rooms are available in other cabin classes.

I would, but that certainly prices me out of the trip.  I'm actually sailing solo and considering it's a port-intensive cruise a Studio cabin may not be horrible.

Also, I DID consider that maybe the room selection wasn't offered due to availability.  The below phrase may not have been worded properly.

@ggTexasGal

1 hour ago, hallux said:

So it seems not every ship offers the option.  I'm not sure if this is an indication of how full the ship is or if this is a difference between ships.

I figured that sailing was going to be a bit of an "in-between" for Spring Breaks as, at least in the NorthEast, those are tied to Easter weekend, either being the week before or the week after.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jebhoward3 said:

Or you could try checking other travel agencies website's that show what cabins are available to see if showing the same as NCL's website.

I hate the NCL website.  It is extremely difficult to use for cabin selection.  Instead I go to the big "C"' box store's travel site to do my research.  You don't have to be a member to use it.  When you click on "Choose a different stateroom" it shows you all the cabins available on each deck in the category you are interested in.  It is so simple compared to NCL.  Once you have an idea of what you want you can then contact whomever you wish to book through.