Cruise capacity

Dwright826

4 minutes ago, Dwright826 said:

Does anyone know how to check and see what ships are sailing at what capacity? Or if you even can.

I've not heard of any way to check on capacity, before boarding. After you get on board, several CC members have found out numbers from either the CD, Guest Services, or their cabin steward. It's really hit & miss. 

50 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Its going to be as much as Carnival can get onboard.  Only way to get an idea is to look at a certain cruise on the website and see how many rooms are available.

Agreed, that is one indicator. But, it's not a reliable one, IMHO. Because numbers are not stated. And I sure don't want to get into a numbers debate. 

1 hour ago, Dwright826 said:

Does anyone know how to check and see what ships are sailing at what capacity? Or if you even can.

Which ship and when is your sail date?   If it's over the summer or on a newer ship, the percentage will certainly be higher than an October 1 sailing on a Fantasy Class ship.

• Like 1

I always do a mock booking and get some idea of how many open rooms there are right before we sail.  This is kind of a good indicator.

Best indicator though is when you sail and on what ship/length of trip.  Things are pretty much back to normal now from what I have seen and most ships seem to be pretty full.  Our very first one this year in April seemed a little light, but May and July have been packed as usual.

12 hours ago, Dwright826 said:

You can't.  John Heald makes a big deal out of not being able to give out those numbers en masse, because the competition would be very interested in seeing them, and yeah, I can understand that.  So once a week or so he'll give out some stats on a particular cruise, but you can't really extrapolate from that.

But as noted, go try to book a specific cruise (mock booking), and see what cabins are left, at what prices - that might give you a hint.

And yeah, they seem to be sailing pretty full these days, especially since it is summer break right after the pandemic, so every family that wants to cruise is trying their darndest!

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Weekend party cruise out of LA for under 200 plus port charges.  90% +.

More like 100%+ but not really a problem, cruise ships are designed to sail full.

Edited by mz-s

10 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You can't.  John Heald makes a big deal out of not being able to give out those numbers en masse, because the competition would be very interested in seeing them, and yeah, I can understand that.  So once a week or so he'll give out some stats on a particular cruise, but you can't really extrapolate from that.

But as noted, go try to book a specific cruise (mock booking), and see what cabins are left, at what prices - that might give you a hint.

And yeah, they seem to be sailing pretty full these days, especially since it is summer break right after the pandemic, so every family that wants to cruise is trying their darndest!

Was this policy before covid or post covid.  On RCCL precovid sometime during the cruise the captain would announce that that they were sail some percentage of capacity, usually 105 percent but sometimes as 110 percent.

Haven't sail on RCCL post covid so don't kow if they are announcing are not.

11 hours ago, gatour said:

Was this policy before covid or post covid.  On RCCL precovid sometime during the cruise the captain would announce that that they were sail some percentage of capacity, usually 105 percent but sometimes as 110 percent.

I believe the captain on Carnival ships, and probably other lines, will still make a similar announcement, but the whole point being it isn't easily gathered data "en masse" for the competition, unless they specifically have people on board to write it all down.

12 hours ago, gatour said:

As you say yourself....announced during the cruise. I can always go ask the diamond ambassador how many onboard during a cruise., no problem. They get a email a few days before the next cruise and at most have a couple days notice of the next cruise capacity. 

During the summer ships are full. Imo probably more like 98 to 100% full.