Unlimited WiFi with Princess Plus

Traderboy

How does this work? 

Is each person with the plus package allowed to connect up just one device?  Is the first device they use the only one they can then use ?

I think we do have WiFi included as Platinum members.  Can this be used as well?

The reason for asking is that we would want to use our smartphones for Whatsapp messaging but then our ipads for reading newspapers etc.

Is the best solution to just use one smartphone and one ipad, for us as a couple?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

Is each person with the plus package allowed to connect up just one device?

One device at a time.

Is the first device they use the only one they can then use ?

No. You can switch as much as you like. When you login to another device you are automatically logged out of the previous device.

I think we do have WiFi included as Platinum members.  Can this be used as well?

Platinum and Elite get 50% off the cost of unlimited internet. I don't think there is anything to stop you buying more internet connections if you already have Plus.

11 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

The reason for asking is that we would want to use our smartphones for Whatsapp messaging but then our ipads for reading newspapers etc.

Two internet packages should cover that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Changed from "included limited minutes" for Platinum/Elite to 50% off if purchased before you board a ship.

Platinum/elite get the 50% off the prevailing price whether you purchase before boarding or after you are on the ship.  The base price is higher onboard.  For one device the base price is $10/day before boarding or $15/day  after you board. At one point, they were a little loose with the policy, but based on our recent experience and other postings, you will not get the pre-board price unless you actually book it before boarding.

• Like 3

So, if we have the Princess Plus package that comes with wifi, there is no need to purchase additional internet, correct?  It is unlimited?

Also, I assume it is one internet account per passenger?  In other words, my husband and I (both purchased Plus package) will EACH be able to access one device at the same time?

Sorry if these answers seem obvious, but this is our first cruise since the introduction of the medallion.  We are used to our old 250 minutes each. LOL

5 minutes ago, High C's said:

So, if we have the Princess Plus package that comes with wifi, there is no need to purchase additional internet, correct?  It is unlimited?

Also, I assume it is one internet account per passenger?  In other words, my husband and I (both purchased Plus package) will EACH be able to access one device at the same time?

Sorry if these answers seem obvious, but this is our first cruise since the introduction of the medallion.  We are used to our old 250 minutes each. LOL

Correct, unlimited wifi with PP, one device per person at any one time. You can switch between devices of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, High C's said:

If you want- you are able use one device for use on the ship for Medallion App and a separate device for internet connection uses. 

7 minutes ago, sidvan said:

If you want- you are able use one device for use on the ship for Medallion App and a separate device for internet connection uses. 

OK, so when I have my Medallion up and running, it is using wifi?  So I can't have my medallion "on" at the same time as I access my computer?

(Yes, I am that bad at figuring out technology!!!!!)

3 minutes ago, High C's said:

OK, so when I have my Medallion up and running, it is using wifi?  So I can't have my medallion "on" at the same time as I access my computer?

(Yes, I am that bad at figuring out technology!!!!!)

The Medallio  has nothing to do with wifi. It is just the equivalent of a key card.

25 minutes ago, Billish said:

The Medallio  has nothing to do with wifi. It is just the equivalent of a key card.

So, to use the medallion app does not require wifi?  I realize the actual medallion itself is our old "key card", but to maximize the functionality, we use the app, correct?

9 minutes ago, High C's said:

So, to use the medallion app does not require wifi?  I realize the actual medallion itself is our old "key card", but to maximize the functionality, we use the app, correct?

Yes, the MC App is for various ship functionalities.  It does require Wifi and is connected to the ship's INTRAnet.  So, you are not using INTERnet services at that point.  As long as you do not login to INTERnet in your browser app, you could have a PC logged in to INTERnet and your smartphone just using INTRAnet for MC App.  For me, I just have my phone logged in so I have INTERnet all the time as well and when I go to use my PC, I login there and it bumps me off my phone until I am done and re-login to the phone.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, the MC App is for various ship functionalities.  It does require Wifi and is connected to the ship's INTRAnet.  So, you are not using INTERnet services at that point.  As long as you do not login to INTERnet in your browser app, you could have a PC logged in to INTERnet and your smartphone just using INTRAnet for MC App.  For me, I just have my phone logged in so I have INTERnet all the time as well and when I go to use my PC, I login there and it bumps me off my phone until I am done and re-login to the phone.

OK, I "think" I've got it.  For the INTERnet on my phone - I turn off my data (put on airplane mode) and then turn on wifi, correct?  That way I will not incur any data charges for texts, etc?  And to that point, texts do NOT come through when on wifi only - only when my data is turned on.  But I can use WhatsApp to communicate with home.  Do I have that straight????  (God I'm bad!!!! lol)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High C's said:

OK, I "think" I've got it.  For the INTERnet on my phone - I turn off my data (put on airplane mode) and then turn on wifi, correct?  That way I will not incur any data charges for texts, etc?  And to that point, texts do NOT come through when on wifi only - only when my data is turned on.  But I can use WhatsApp to communicate with home.  Do I have that straight????  (God I'm bad!!!! lol)

Texts are nothing to do with wifi/ internet. They come through your mobile phone service provider.

6 minutes ago, Billish said:

Texts are nothing to do with wifi/ internet. They come through your mobile phone service provider.

Thank you.  So I got that part right at least!!!! 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Billish said:

The exception is 'texting' using 'iMessage'. With cellular data turned off iMessage still works whenever you connect to Wi-Fi. To send iMessages when not on wifi, your phone would use cellular data.

Just now, Adventures ahead said:

The exception is 'texting' using 'iMessage'. With cellular data turned off iMessage still works whenever you connect to Wi-Fi. To send iMessages when not on wifi, your phone would use cellular data.

Oh!  So I can still use iMessage on board, even if I'm in airplane mode?

34 minutes ago, High C's said:

Brilliant - as the Brits would say.

• Haha 2

I have been reading through some of the recent posts.  IMHO post 12 was spot on.  Some of the other posts since then have provided good information but often left out a minor piece that could be critical to a neophyte who is trying to make everything work aboard ship.  Here are a few of my comments:

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Anyone who completely understands this post, and how to accomplish all of the items above will be fine aboard ship.  The only thing I will add is you should also understand how to put your phone in airplane mode as noted below.

2 hours ago, High C's said:

OK, I "think" I've got it.  For the INTERnet on my phone - I turn off my data (put on airplane mode) and then turn on wifi, correct?  

Correct - to get you to the INTRAnet.  To get to the INTERnet, you also have to have a Princess internet package (Plus, Premier or purchase through MedallionClass App).  Then you must log into the internet through your browser.  There are a number of ways to do this, but if you go to the site (URL) "login.com" in your browser, it should redirect you to the login page on any Princess ship.  In the future you may have to log back if you are ever logged out.  

If you try to browse the internet and receive an error indicating you are not connected to the internet, it is most likely you are no longer logged in. Try going to login.com. 

That way I will not incur any data charges for texts, etc?  

Correct

And to that point, texts do NOT come through when on wifi only - only when my data is turned on.  It depends.  If you have a Princess internet package, In no case will you need to "turn on your cellular data"  See comments below.  

But I can use WhatsApp to communicate with home.  

As long as you are logged into the INTERnet.

Do I have that straight????  (God I'm bad!!!! lol)

2 hours ago, Billish said:

Traditionally you are correct, but there are exceptions depending on your phone brand and your phone carrier. See comments below.

2 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

That is one exception. For it to work you must be connected to wi-fi (phone function), AND logged into the INTERnet. iMessage only works between Apple devices.

2 hours ago, High C's said:

Oh!  So I can still use iMessage on board, even if I'm in airplane mode?

Yes you can if you meet the criteria I just mentioned.

1 hour ago, Adventures ahead said:

Apparently so, haven't tried it yet.

You would not want to take your phone off airplane mode or you'd be paying for international data.

It will definitely work, and the airplane mode advice is excellent.  If your are not in airplane mode it might be worse than international data or calling. Depending on your phone plan, you could be paying Princess rates which are usually higher than most international rates.

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

Yes iMessage can be used with wifi only but only to other apple users.

Correct for iMessage.  However, if you are on Android you may be able to text (SMS and possibly MMS) over wifi and the INTERnet. It all depends on what is supported by your phone and carrier.  Once you have it setup, it may be automatic or you may have to tweak settings.  I can do it on my phone and my Verizon plan.  How you do it will vary and is beyond the scope of this discussion.

Edited by Jersey42