Booked our first Princess Cruise - have many questions

Muffinz

Closet: Maybe 6 feet long with a rod running the whole way.

Also you have a small closet next to it, about 18" wide with shelves running to the ceiling.

Seriously, Princess has the best closets at sea.

Plus in most rooms the set up creates a sort of dressing room since the bathroom is opposite the closet--the back of the closet is a wall to the bedroom.

I have not used laundry mostly as I don't want to waste my vaca time.

But I do hand wash items a couple times during the week & string then in my shower.

I don't bring anything special, I just used the body wash in the shower.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.25.13 AM.png

• Like 2

I am a big fan of the closet set-up on Princess.

Way better than small closets along the wall In the main area of the cabin, especially with doors.

One comment...  the closets are right there at the cabin entry with the bathroom.  I have heard more than one story of water (or even possibly sewage) issues in the closet floor.

We make sure that our actual stuff is not laying directly on the floor.

In that photo above, we would have laid the suitcase there, with something under it, and then placed stuff on top of that, like a shelf.

The longer dresses and clothing would then be hanging to the left of this, where the suitcase is standing there in the photo.

3 hours ago, KKB said:

Closet: Maybe 6 feet long with a rod running the whole way.

Also you have a small closet next to it, about 18" wide with shelves running to the ceiling.

Seriously, Princess has the best closets at sea.

Plus in most rooms the set up creates a sort of dressing room since the bathroom is opposite the closet--the back of the closet is a wall to the bedroom.

I have not used laundry mostly as I don't want to waste my vaca time.

But I do hand wash items a couple times during the week & string then in my shower.

I don't bring anything special, I just used the body wash in the shower.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 11.25.13 AM.png

great - thanks for sharing that photo... looks like there is more than enough hangers for my wifes clothes!

are there any draws for your 'smalls' or are they part of the closet next to it?

2 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I am a big fan of the closet set-up on Princess.

Way better than small closets along the wall In the main area of the cabin, especially with doors.

One comment...  the closets are right there at the cabin entry with the bathroom. 

My closet story...I was getting dressed in the closet area. Had bra & panties on. One quick knock on the door and it opened. It was the steward. He didn't even wait 5 seconds after he knocked. Guess how much his extra gratuity was.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

great - thanks for sharing that photo... looks like there is more than enough hangers for my wifes clothes!

are there any draws for your 'smalls' or are they part of the closet next to it?

Lots of shelves in the small cupboard. Also, drawers in the vanities and at the desk. Depending on the cabin category, storage can be enough for a round the world cruise (suites) or a shorter cruise.

We did 43 days in an inside & had no trouble finding a place to put everything.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

The closed closet next to the large open closet had about 6 shelves.

There were 3 drawers in the desk in the cabin plus 2 in each bedside table. 

(At least on our balcony on the Caribbean Princess there were--but I'd say that is fairly typical for them)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

The closed closet next to the large open closet had about 6 shelves.

There were 3 drawers in the desk in the cabin plus 2 in each bedside table. 

(At least on our balcony on the Caribbean Princess there were--but I'd say that is fairly typical for them)

Great - thanks for sharing that

And for some reason we always seem to have the cabin next to someone who feels the need to open and shut every drawer at 7a.m. ! Just why ? 

Personally,  I would ban drawers, and replace them with shelves.  Peace and quiet for everyone ! 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And for some reason we always seem to have the cabin next to someone who feels the need to open and shut every drawer at 7a.m. ! Just why ? 

Personally,  I would ban drawers, and replace them with shelves.  Peace and quiet for everyone ! 

perhaps people need to learn how to open and close draws quietly? 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muffinz said:

perhaps people need to learn how to open and close draws quietly? 😉

Some hope ! 

We ask the steward to have a word with the cabin occupants if it gets really bad.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:08 AM, Muffinz said:

Ok, so we’ve booked our cruise on Majestic for Feb 2023

Being a Princess newbie we’re going to have many questions before the cruise, so the first main question is – what restaurants / food / eating places are included in the cruise fare?

I’ve looked at Princess website:- https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/whats-included/ but this doesn’t actually list all the food places that are included - it looks like there are 2 main dining rooms?

If someone can tell me what places are included in the cruise fare that would be much appreciated

Also what power / electrical outlets do they have in your stateroom?

From memory on celebrity there were 2 x USA and 1 x European power outlets

Just need to know in case we need to buy any adaptors to plug in our USB chargers

thanks in advance 😃

Power outlets can vary from ship class to ship class. On the Star we had plugs right near the bed, which is good for us C-Pap pax. Now on to food. Food IS subjective. We certainly don't cruise Princess for the food. We cruise for itinerary. For food we cruise Oceania. There are 2 to even 3 main dining rooms. Food is generally mass market food. Too much dependence of pastas & such. For a upcharge you can order from the specialty rest. The larger Royal Class have Le Mare? This is a seafood rest. Not tried them but hear decent reviews. Crown Grill has decent(but NOT great steaks) Likely "USDA select" at best. Same quality with Sabatini's. You'll see prime in Chef's table or Ultimate balcony dinner. Those 2 come with a steep upcharge, however. I hear Ultimate Balcony dinner is still not happening as yet. Buffets on Royal class ships were very good. On the Grand Class, really quite poor. Haven't been on Princess since Feb. 2020. We AL know what happened then. I'm sure there are plenty of good reviews on this blog.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Never experienced that. It was the slamming doors that get me. Most of those are accidental. The air pressure difference has literally pulled the door out of my hands. This is NOT unique to Princess.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Power outlets can vary from ship class to ship class. On the Star we had plugs right near the bed, which is good for us C-Pap pax. Now on to food. Food IS subjective. We certainly don't cruise Princess for the food. We cruise for itinerary. For food we cruise Oceania. There are 2 to even 3 main dining rooms. Food is generally mass market food. Too much dependence of pastas & such. For a upcharge you can order from the specialty rest. The larger Royal Class have Le Mare? This is a seafood rest. Not tried them but hear decent reviews. Crown Grill has decent(but NOT great steaks) Likely "USDA select" at best. Same quality with Sabatini's. You'll see prime in Chef's table or Ultimate balcony dinner. Those 2 come with a steep upcharge, however. I hear Ultimate Balcony dinner is still not happening as yet. Buffets on Royal class ships were very good. On the Grand Class, really quite poor. Haven't been on Princess since Feb. 2020. We AL know what happened then. I'm sure there are plenty of good reviews on this blog.

Food can be subjective.... we did our first (and only) cruise on Celebrity Solstice 2018, and we didn't choose the cruise because of the food.... but it was one of the highlights of the cruise - fantastic in every respect.

What made me laugh though was I did a review of the cruise here on CC and mentioned that the food was outstanding..... then I read another review someone did for the exact same cruise and they criticized the food saying (words to the effect of) there wasn't much variety and it was bland / tasteless... blah blah

I couldn't have disagreed more!

I'm just reading some of the reviews for Majestic Princess and most are positive....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

My closet story...I was getting dressed in the closet area. Had bra & panties on. One quick knock on the door and it opened. It was the steward. He didn't even wait 5 seconds after he knocked. Guess how much his extra gratuity was.

That's one big advantage of the Medallion. They now know you are in the cabin. I had a similar experience where our female steward knocked and came on in. She was starting to open the bathroom door when I yelled at her. I was "on the throne" at the time. 😬

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, rbtan said:

Never experienced that. It was the slamming doors that get me. Most of those are accidental. The air pressure difference has literally pulled the door out of my hands. This is NOT unique to Princess.

This is most often due to people who leave their balcony doors open while the ship is sailing. I've walked down the hallway and listened to the wind "shrieking" in  cabins because they people were out for the evening and had left their balcony doors open. They are not supposed to be left open.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The extra gratuity was getting to see you in your bra & panties. 

• Haha 5

On 8/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, Muffinz said:

ok thanks - I'll look more into it.... I remember on Celebrity we just got a welcome aboard card in our room on embarkation day that said our dining time was 8:30pm.... as we were totally newbies to cruising I don't think we'd requested a specific dining time

Pre-pandemic Princess had two types of dining. One was "traditional" which was seating at a fixed time with two seatings an evening (example: early seating at 5:30, late seating at 8:00). The other was "anytime" which meant you showed up when you wanted and were seated as table availability allowed. What you had on Celebrity would be the equivalent of Princess traditional dining with the late seating.

Princess has done away with traditional dining and now has what they call Dining My Way (DMW). You can reserve the time you want at the time you want. Or you can just show up when you want without a reservation.

9 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Food can be subjective.... we did our first (and only) cruise on Celebrity Solstice 2018, and we didn't choose the cruise because of the food.... but it was one of the highlights of the cruise - fantastic in every respect.

What made me laugh though was I did a review of the cruise here on CC and mentioned that the food was outstanding..... then I read another review someone did for the exact same cruise and they criticized the food saying (words to the effect of) there wasn't much variety and it was bland / tasteless... blah blah

I couldn't have disagreed more!

I'm just reading some of the reviews for Majestic Princess and most are positive....

Food is subjective so I can only give you our personal opinion after sailing both lines (Solstice included). X provides slightly better food than Princess. However, we do like the variety of options on Princess e.g. afternoon tea, International Cafe, the pizza restaurant, pub lunch etc all included in the price. So it balances itself out.

We found the entertainment more to our liking on Princess as X started to reduce its offerings, instead relying on pax to provide more of their own. The cabins feel slightly bigger on X, unless you book a mini-suite or deluxe balcony on Princess, as you get a couch as standard with any balcony. We’re just about to sail on one of Princess’s newer ships, so we’re all prepared for the narrow balconies. We’ve not sailed on a Celebrity Edge class ship as the IV do not sit well with my liking to a ‘proper’ balcony. So, as I stated previously, you’ll find that X and Princess are more similar than different and if, like us, it’s all about the itinerary, you’ll have a super time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

That's one big advantage of the Medallion. They now know you are in the cabin. I had a similar experience where our female steward knocked and came on in. She was starting to open the bathroom door when I yelled at her. I was "on the throne" at the time. 😬

Only if they check...

Ya should have let her "come on in". You missed out on a great teaching moment.🤣

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Only if they check...

Ya should have let her "come on in". You missed out on a great teaching moment.🤣

Isn't there a 'do not disturb' option on the Medallion screen outside the cabin door?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villauk said:

We’ve not sailed on a Celebrity Edge class ship as the IV do not sit well with my liking to a ‘proper’ balcony.

If you're against the IV cabin, you still have the option on the Edge Class for an aft facing "proper" balcony on decks 7 -12.  But if the itinerary is more important to you, then stick to the S or M Class.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

If you're against the IV cabin, you still have the option on the Edge Class for an aft facing "proper" balcony on decks 7 -12.  But if the itinerary is more important to you, then stick to the S or M Class.

Yes, we do have that option but the itineraries, up to now, have not interested us tbf. We absolutely love the FV on M class though.

• Like 1