Pre-Paid Beverage Cards

DCThunder

First time HAL cruiser, here.  I'm not a big drinker and so am not inclined to purchase the Signature Beverage Package.  However, I have seen the Beverage Cards that are offered and might purchase one of them.  My question is does the value of the card expire at the end of a cruise or if there's a balance, does that carry over to another HAL cruise?  And can these cards be "refilled" on board or must they only be purchased prior to sailing?

23 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

First time HAL cruiser, here.  I'm not a big drinker and so am not inclined to purchase the Signature Beverage Package.  However, I have seen the Beverage Cards that are offered and might purchase one of them.  My question is does the value of the card expire at the end of a cruise or if there's a balance, does that carry over to another HAL cruise?  And can these cards be "refilled" on board or must they only be purchased prior to sailing?

Once your card is “activated”, it is only good for that cruise.

If you don’t use the entire balance, it will be refunded to your on board account.

The cards can be purchased on board with no problem at all.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Once your card is “activated”, it is only good for that cruise.

If you don’t use the entire balance, it will be refunded to your on board account.

The cards can be purchased on board with no problem at all.

Thank you!  That's just what I needed to know.

I have never heard of the pre-paid beverage card, this might be something I am interested in. I just need two cans of Diet Coke a day and a beverage package will not work for me. Any info would be appreciated 

Thanks

5 hours ago, silversneakers said:

Just curious....is there any advantage for getting a prepaid beverage card?

Yes. Much easier to check your onboard account without loads of drink charges on it and bits of.paper to keep.  And.you have prepaid your drinks so the account is less at the end of the cruise.  I always purchase them for me and DH. Can also be used for water and special coffees.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Hi!  The others have pointed out some of the reasons you might want to get one, but to be clear, you can purchase drinks with your room card also.  As @T8NCruise pointed out if you use the room card for drink purchases each one will be listed individually on your folio/account but not if using the prepaid beverage card.  The drink prices are the same for both.

~Nancy

4 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Our experience is from the last 5 years that prepaid beverage cards are not available for purchase onboard.  I would recommend purchasing them before you board.  That is what we do.

interesting.  I had no problem buying them on the Prinsendam on our last cruise.  Admittedly my last cruise was B.C (Before Covid) and won’t be sailing until November 🤞 this year.  I will have to inquire.out of curiosity, now.  Thanks - I will buy on line if needed to be safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksmaxey said:

The policy on the refund of unused balance has changed!  There is no refund at the end of the cruise if you do not use the entire balance.

That's an interesting dilemma if true.  Especially, if you can't buy cards aboard ship.