Live Royal Suite Summit - 7/31 to 8/7

DisneyJen

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

DisneyJen was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Welcome to my return to cruise reporting in the new world!🥂

On this cruise, DH ( DJ’s DH) and I will celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary, his belated-by-a-year 60th birthday, his so called “retirement” and my 60th birthday. Since he “retired” in March 2021 he has been teaching full-time at our alma mater (We Are ... Penn State) as well as consulting internationally for the automotive industry. His area of expertise … Supply Chain … I kid you not.

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Summit in a Royal Suite from Cape Liberty to Bermuda and back. This will be my second time and his first time on the Summit.

Since our last cruise three years ago on the Celebrity Equinox, we have sold a house, moved 300 miles, lived in a townhouse while our “retirement/dream” home was being built, moved into said home, changed careers from executive in the corporate world to teaching professor in the academic world and moved a family member into a memory care facility near our new home since we are his medical and financial representatives.

Stress … what stress.

Sometime in early May I was able to find a cruise on the Summit in Aqua Class that worked logistically for us since we had multiple issues at play (see above).

A few weeks later, fare stalker that I am, I found availability in a Royal Suite for our sailing. Let’s just say it was easy to persuade my fiscally responsible DH to upgrade … although I think he might have misunderstood the cost per person versus in total.

Cruising isn’t new for us (in no chronological order):

Six SeaDream Yacht Club, which is our favorite cruise line. Two in a Commodore Suite and four in a Yacht Club Stateroom.

Five Royal Caribbean - First one as a young married couple in an inside cabin we share with my parents. Four in a Junior Suite.

Four Princess all in Deluxe Verandah.

Two HAL - One in Deluxe Derandah and one in a Neptune Suite.

Two Celebrity both in Aqua.

One Seabourn in a Suite.

One Disney in a Deluxe verandah

We have been blessed to visit many of this Caribbean islands on cruise, sailboat and land-based vacations.

For us, the destination is the ship ... not the ports.

Edited by DisneyJen
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So here we are on a Friday afternoon, the day before we make the four-hour drive to Cape Liberty, with items still to cross off the checklist and bags still to be packed.

All the “normal” pre-cruise rituals (hair cuts, banking, dog sitting arrangements, etc.) took place on the regular timeline.

This morning we took our mandatory pre-boarding Covid test with OnPoint. We both were negative. I never thought I would be so happy to see just one line on a test strip.🤣

Packing has commenced as I was afraid to jinx the trip by packing too soon.

Our game plan is to leave tomorrow after lunch for our overnight stay at the Newark Liberty International Marriott. We have an 11:30 a.m. check-in time at Cape Liberty.

• Like 4

Thanks for following along @asnaleah and @vickykay!

The first phase of packing, which includes negotiations on  how many pairs of shoes does one REALLY need, has begun in earnest. I have convinced @DJ's DH that if I take four pair of shoes he needs just four pair.🤣

DJ's DH has returned from what he hopes is the last of pre-cruise errands.

Here are his supervisors patiently waiting at the CVS drive through ...41CC8B2F-E8A1-4F7D-880D-F6A494E7B117_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f620425bcd6197e29474dd7f5a1ab853.jpeg

Firstly, a trip to CVS to procure our insurance policy against covid ... paxlovoid. I am so thankful that my rheumatologist is so proactive. I had to chuckle at his IM to me about the script:

"I spoke with 1 of our infectious disease doctors. Given the supply this medication is more than adequate these days, he felt given a prescription to have on hand if you get diagnosed with COVID make sense especially since cruises are still considered high risk activities."

Secondly, a trip to the local Wegman's to procure four bottle of champers for our vacation mimosas.

When I spoke with the Alex the Shoreside Concierge last week I requested that one of our two bottle of spirits be the secret ingredient for our Grand Mimosas .... Grand Marnier!

Following the recommendations of @chemmo and @bnurick I have printed out the requests I made of the Shoreside Concierge  for our PRH/Butler. The notes, along with printed copies of our Bermuda Travel Authorization, and Covid tests are all in a folder waiting to go. Our vaccines and US passports along with some cash are also in the folder as well since we learned our lesson after reading about@Jim_Iain's  passport misadventure!

IMG_0582.thumb.jpeg.42eadfa51770ed777f877a430ccd52ad.jpeg

Edited by DisneyJen
Add photos
  • Like 10

Looking forward to following along.    Especially interested to your observations about Summit as we will be boarding the day your cruise ends.   @GenerationX has been been given a wonderful review as she will be departing the morning you arrive.

Best wishes and a Bon Voyage.

• Like 1

DisneyJen, we will be sailing along with you. I’m also celebrating my 60th, two years late and our 43rd anniversary as well. Maybe we will run into each other in the Retreat Lounge. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 2

We love Royal suites on summit we did ours end of February on a rock and romance charter cruise, great suite and huge balcony, concierge and staff were great some were on our penthouse cruise on edge last year . Fantastic balcony even though we never used hot tub .

@Lena11033 you will appreciate this:

8FCF9B2E-F211-40F2-8582-3FA42AF5004E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9dfbd9e86f1c1345a7c6e688c0be1094.jpeg

@Jim_Iain  ... I have been following Charla @GenerationX. I was sharing her photos from the Veuve Dinner with @DJ's DH as an enticement. I am sure you and Iain will have an incredible trip.

@RosieRoo ... Congratulations 🥂 On most evenings we plan on enjoying a pre-dinner drink in the Retreat. Here's a hint on how to identify us. @DJ's DHsays ... "I was six-foot four when I married her. She's beaten me down to five-foot eight. She's still five-foot nine 🤣"

Edited by DisneyJen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, George C said:

We love Royal suites on summit we did ours end of February on a rock and romance charter cruise, great suite and huge balcony, concierge and staff were great some were on our penthouse cruise on edge last year . Fantastic balcony even though we never used hot tub .

This is our first suite on Celebrity but I suspect it won't be  our last!

We are looking forward to lounging and dining on that balcony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DisneyJen said:

This is our first suite on Celebrity but I suspect it won't be  our last!

We are looking forward to lounging and dining on that balcony.

There is only one disadvantage to sailing an RS.   It's called addiction.   Once you tasted it you will be back.  again and again.  

• Like 6

Congratulations and thanks @Kteacher🥂

Sounds like you enjoyed the Veuve dinner as well!

Your ears must be ringing @Jim_Iain ... Inspector Gadget (AKA Dr. Logi AKA @DJ's DH) has started phase two of packing which includes HDMI cables and all other possible modes of connection and communication. I told him to add the Firestick so we can watch youtubetv. "Genius" was his reply🤣

We're in search of our "suite" spot on a mainstream line as we love SeaDream. The only problem, first world of course, is that they spend a short time in the Caribbean and when they sail those dates don't work for the "retired" one.

So this test drive, if you will, is how the "ship within a ship" concept works for us.

We don't need all the bells and whistles ... We need a place to reconnect and recharge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

Your ears must be ringing @Jim_Iain ... Inspector Gadget (AKA Dr. Logi AKA @DJ's DH) has started phase two of packing which includes HDMI cables and all other possible modes of connection and communication. I told him to add the Firestick so we can watch youtubetv. "Genius" was his reply🤣

We're in search of our "suite" spot on a mainstream line as we love SeaDream. The only problem, first world of course, is that they spend a short time in the Caribbean and when they sail those dates don't work for the "retired" one.

So this test drive, if you will, is how the "ship within a ship" concept works for us.

We don't need all the bells and whistles ... We need a place to reconnect and recharge.

I love all suites on Celebrity but summit doesn’t have the ship with a ship like Edge class has , I consider the outdoor retreat area a joke . But suite lounge and suite lounge are excellent.

• Like 1

We loved our RS on Infinity back in the day. Great balcony! We mostly sail S class these days. I hope you enjoy Luminae. We seldom eat in specialty restaurants because we are so pleased with Luminae. In a RS, I think you can also eat at Blu, if capacity allows. It used to be all suites, but I have read recently that Blu is not always an option unless in an upper suite. At any rate, enjoy every minute!

Edited by asnaleah
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

We loved our RS on Infinity back in the day. Great balcony! We mostly sail S class these days. I hope you enjoy Luminae. We seldom eat in specialty restaurants because we are so pleased with Luminae. In a RS, I think you can also eat at Blu, if capacity allows. It used to be all suites, but I have read recently that Blu is not always an option unless in an upper suite. At any rate, enjoy every minute!

Luminae is great but I would also try Tuscan and Le petit chef , we also did sushi at 5 a couple of times for lunch since Luminae is closed on port days, the only time we did outdoor retreat was for lunch on a port day. All specialty restaurants are free for royal suite and above.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

I agree 100% that especially on long cruises we spend more time in our room and enjoy staying connected and spending quality time together.   

I've used YouTube TV but depending on what satellite the ship is bouncing off of you may need to use a VPN to make it think your in the U.S.    If connected to Miami you will only be able to watch Miami local news and stations.    You can however watch anything you record so I set up recording for our local stations for the local news -  Early Morning, Evening and Late Nights.    It buffers pretty well and quality will adjust to bandwidth limitations.  I'm bringing along a Firestick his next cruise as they have built in VPN access.

If your husband has a problem have him e-mail me.     Actually the hardest part is getting it plugged in -    The HDMI ports are about 10 inches in and you only have about  6-7 inches on the sides as they are set into a frame.    Our butler has been helpful (knowing how to get it to lean up)   otherwise they will have IT come up an connect for you.

• Like 1

My husband and I will be joining you on this cruise (although, staying in an interior room so probably a little different experience haha, but we’re just excited to be on a ship!) We are seasoned cruisers but this will be our first time on Celebrity. Looking forward to following along with your posts! Ps-cute dog pic 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

There is only one disadvantage to sailing an RS.   It's called addiction.   Once you tasted it you will be back.  again and again.  

Uh oh. I have a RS booked for March. Maybe I should bid on a move-down offer to avoid the addiction. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Uh oh. I have a RS booked for March. Maybe I should bid on a move-down offer to avoid the addiction. 🤣

My last two cruises on celebrity was a penthouse last July ( move up) and a royal suite, next one is corner aft sky suite on beyond, which I am sure will be nice but definitely not a penthouse, might need another move up.

• Like 1

@DisneyJen enjoying your review before you even board. We're still a wee way off our "recommencement" cruise out of Auckland in January so loving all the live reviews on CC. Enjoy the RS and your celebrations.

• Like 2