Your Opinions about Covid risks - please nothing political - just interested in your thoughts!

NiceAunt

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I also agree that Comorbidity is a significant variable (IMO, the MOST significant variable) in contracting covid.

I think it is a significant variable in getting sick enough to be hospitalized or dying. I wouldn't say it is significant for catching covid based on the people in my sphere that have caught covid.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I think it is a significant variable in getting sick enough to be hospitalized or dying. I wouldn't say it is significant for catching covid based on the people in my sphere that have caught covid.

I agree. I should have written that I believe Comorbidity is the single most important variable in terms of becoming very ill with covid.  

• Like 3

One of my cousins, in his late sixties, was in hospital ICU on a ventilator for just under  weeks. He was one of the lucky ones.  18 months ago.

Another cousin, in her early 60's was in the hospital for two weeks with covid.  She had many underlying health issues. Five months ago.

My niece and husband, in their early 40's, just got back from a week in Bermuda.  Both with covid.  His is mild, hers is the opposite.   She is very ill.  One week ago.

We, in our late 60's, both had covid.  More cold like for us.  Not an issue.

The thing is when it comes to medical advice or opinion I would not rely on anyone for advice or opinion except your physician.

Just because I had not serious covid effects does not mean that the person next to me will contract it or if so it will be as mild as my experience.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iancal said:

One of my cousins, in his late sixties, was in hospital ICU on a ventilator for just under  weeks. He was one of the lucky ones.  18 months ago.

Another cousin, in her early 60's was in the hospital for two weeks with covid.  She had many underlying health issues. Five months ago.

My niece and husband, in their early 40's, just got back from a week in Bermuda.  Both with covid.  His is mild, hers is the opposite.   She is very ill.  One week ago.

We, in our late 60's, both had covid.  More cold like for us.  Not an issue.

The thing is when it comes to medical advice or opinion I would not rely on anyone for advice or opinion except your physician.

Just because I had not serious covid effects does not mean that the person next to me will contract it or if so it will be as mild as my experience.

Exactly, my overweight, 50+, smoking, cancer survivor, heart attack survivor, overworked night shift Covid hospital nurse sister has never tested positive.  She has been with Covid patients since it started and no one was using protective gear.  She gave mouth to mouth to proven Covid patients before they knew what was happening. She has been tested weekly since tests were available.  I always tell her I like my genetic odds because of her experience.  No one in my very large family has had Covid including my 88 yo mother who refused to lockdown or isolate.  I guess they should put us in a study 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, seaoma said:

Absolutely! I hope some of you will volunteer if one becomes available.

My sister was early on in a study and I don’t know if anything came of it.  I volunteered for the experimental vaccine and they only called to see if I would do a TV commercial, not an activity I would engage in.  I would rather be injected with an experimental drug rather than be on tv. 😉

I know a renowned economist whose specialty is public health. .  Anyway we had some heated discussions on our morning walks about how easily scientists and governments were disregarding intriguing data in favor of easy answers.   It was just too easy to say that group gets Covid because they are poor.  Well there are lots of poor people, do the study, don’t dismiss their conditions as being poor.   Sloppy, sloppy science 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, syesmar said:

This article is interesting.

Research needs to be done.  When I got my first Covid test in April the nurse was shocked that I had never had a test, I never had a need. I have been traipsing all over the US since 2020 and only wearing a mask when absolutely required.  Same with many member of my family.  We just don’t catch this even though we should have had a least a sneeze.  I have a very large family too.  I am vaccinated but many of my relatives are not 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

First of all, things are looser now with “isolation”…you stay in your cabin with your cabin mate. After 6 days if you test negative, you’re done. After 10 days positive with no fever or increase in symptoms and feeling fine, you’re done. Husband and I just finished isolating… him 6 days ( so then he was free to roam around and bring me my cafe mochas!). We’re on a long cruise so missed some sea days no problem…missed two ports we really wanted, but we’ll return. Advice is to bring ALL your own comfort meds…coughs, antihistamine, Tylenol, etc. Cough syrup was not the kind I wanted or would help. For short cruises if you’re concerned, I’d wait. This is our third cruise this year and we were prepared.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, janmcn said:

First of all, things are looser now with “isolation”…you stay in your cabin with your cabin mate. After 6 days if you test negative, you’re done. After 10 days positive with no fever or increase in symptoms and feeling fine, you’re done. Husband and I just finished isolating… him 6 days ( so then he was free to roam around and bring me my cafe mochas!). We’re on a long cruise so missed some sea days no problem…missed two ports we really wanted, but we’ll return. Advice is to bring ALL your own comfort meds…coughs, antihistamine, Tylenol, etc. Cough syrup was not the kind I wanted or would help. For short cruises if you’re concerned, I’d wait. This is our third cruise this year and we were prepared.

When we were on Seabourn (April-May) the protocol was somewhat different (we had quite a few COVID cases aboard).  If somebody thought they might have COVID they could ask to be tested.  If positive, they went into quarantine for 7 days.  After 7 days they were out of jail with no additional testing necessary.

Hank

• Like 1

I would not go..(But that is me)

Would you be comfortable on board?  Or worried about getting covid?  Will you be able to enjoy the cruise?  Would you not go to shows, bars or onboard activities as before, because of covid ?  Is it worth spending all that money with the chance of getting covid?  Just think about how you would or would not enjoy the cruise.

As for me and my husband we will not be cruising for a while.  We are happy with what we did before covid.  We enjoy each day , just different than pre covid.  could I get covid not cruising, maybe.  but at least I will have my own Dr. and not have the chance of being in a foreign country.

Just sort it out.  Maybe make a list of pros and cons and see which list is the winner.

• Like 3

All of the rigmarole surrounding COVID is what gives me the most pause concerning whether or not to cruise.  Will they still be demanding vaccination?  testing?  how much testing?  Are they gonna make you mask up again?  Inside?  Just in the shows?  Inside and outside? Between bites or sips?   Nope, that is not a vacation.  

I get the part about needing to stay quarantined if you get sick; that makes sense; that has always made sense.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just got back from Oosterdam cruise. My advice is to assume nobody else is following Covid protocol and then make your own decision about whether you are willing to cruise (or travel in general) with that risk. The airports seemed highest risk area - densely packed with I’d guess only about 10-20% wearing masks. Security lines, check in lines, and the planes themselves were packed. On the cruise, it was much less dense. Staff 100% masked and shops not full, but I estimate only about 20% masking of passengers, including on excursion buses. On the boat actually seemed most spread out/lowest risk, and had the ability to somewhat control risk.  Out in ports, hardly any masking including in very crowded areas (eg tourist attractions like Acropolis etc), and even though you’re outdoors, you’re densely packed in queues with others to enter sites. 

• Like 2