Free or Low Cost Covid Tests?

zhuangcorp

Are there any free or low-cost Covid Tests acceptable for HAL? Does HAL accept at-home covid tests?

I just tried booking covid test on CVS, and it said it cost $139 for the test. 

I live in San Diego, CA btw. 

Edited by zhuangcorp

No, purely self-administered and self-evaluated tests do not satisfy HAL’s requirements. Samples must either be collected at a testing location or you need to use a recognized used third party proctoring service. HAL has partnerships with several organizations as listed on their web site.

3 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

No, purely self-administered and self-evaluated tests do not satisfy HAL’s requirements. Samples must either be collected at a testing location or you need to use a recognized used third party proctoring service. HAL has partnerships with several organizations as listed on their web site.

Do you have a link to their partnerships?

I do not know if Quest Diagnostics is still being recommended by HAL. I tried their in-person service last November in Florida and they failed miserably. My wife got her result the second day of the cruise and I never got mine. Fortunately, HAL was testing on the pier for cases like ours.

Jim

2 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Are there any free or low-cost Covid Tests acceptable for HAL? Does HAL accept at-home covid tests?

Have you tried On-Point or Total Testing Solutions? I know they both have offices in LA. They offer in-person and proctored tests.

• Like 1

We used the EMed proctored tests last month in our hotel room in Barcelona to board the Oosterdam the next day. It was so easy and can’t believe we hadn’t done it before for previous cruises. I highly recommend it. It isn’t cheap but well worth the worry and stress. I think you can buy 6 for $125. I have some left and will be using them for our October cruise. 

Look up EMed on Google. There are some companies that have sold those kits in the past in smaller quantities. $35 or so apiece. Any qualified at-home test must be proctored (a tech must watch you take the test using your phone - like a zoom meeting). Very easy with results in 15 minutes.

8 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

I am in San Diego - plenty of free covid tests are available.    

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/testing.html

The website says results take 1-2 days, but I called and then said they are all doing rapid antigens now and you should get an email in an hour.

https://lhi.care/covidtesting

I am getting one for free at the Chula Vista City Hall - they say I will get results in an hour - I have a backup at SW community college later and then with UC  San Diego as a walk in if the others fail.   

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=71700000078363718&utm_content=58700006596689992&utm_term=p71850055656&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN3GW9R2q-boA4Pol5K8VSinPAWeXwwU-pIHBubba8zSvpfstDAEGNMaAhPlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

This article provides some options.  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/government-covid-test-for-international-travel/.  I used the same company as TPG with some free at home tests and the virtual testing fee was covered by my insurance.  The company handled the billing and I didn't have to file for reimbursement.  I booked identical times for the 2 of us and one virtual proctor took care of us both at the same time with one connection while we were in the Netherlands.  Completely happy with the entire process, from booking to receiving test results.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am in San Diego - plenty of free covid tests are available.    

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/testing.html

The website says results take 1-2 days, but I called and then said they are all doing rapid antigens now and you should get an email in an hour.

https://lhi.care/covidtesting

I am getting one for free at the Chula Vista City Hall - they say I will get results in an hour - I have a backup at SW community college later and then with UC  San Diego as a walk in if the others fail.   

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=71700000078363718&utm_content=58700006596689992&utm_term=p71850055656&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN3GW9R2q-boA4Pol5K8VSinPAWeXwwU-pIHBubba8zSvpfstDAEGNMaAhPlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Did you get your testing through that LHI? 

Let me know how it went, did the result really come within an hour?

56 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Does HAL accept these at home tests?? How can HAL verify the test?

You have to have them proctored where they are “medically observed”. There are many services in SoCal that offer it. Yes, they are accepted. They email you a letter with the QR code. 

1 hour ago, zhuangcorp said:

Does HAL accept these at home tests?? How can HAL verify the test?

Nope, just adding my 2 cents for having tests while traveling and using as sort of a pretest for "official" testing for cruises, airlines, land tours, specific country entry requirements, etc. HAL and other entities require, for now at least, utilizing the approved internet proctored testing, local certified pharmacy, various labs, local pop-ups (e.g., Europe), etc. 72-houra prior to cruise line embarkations (cruise greater that 5-day itineraries now, I believe).

There was a posting / thread last week regarding have some tests, not necessarily "official" ones that an individual with minimal symptoms could use in their stateroom, hotel room, etc. they could use and if positive they would call the infirmary, or in the case of land touring, go to an official testing facility to confirm the positive test prior to isolating. 

While we're at it, has anyone heard from HAL regarding the Grand Cruises outcomes as of late (e.g. Africa, SA, WC) if one tests positive prior to boarding? Isolate for 5-10 days USA, test negative and then flown to the next port? Let you aboard and isolate on-board (especially the Grand Africa which is a TA crossing) and then "join" the cruise? Or are they going to turn you away and give you FCCsa for the following year edition? Inquiring minds would like to know 🙂.

Be well & Safe Travels,

Bob

A lot of U.S. airports have covid test clinics.

We recently got tested at Miami airport. Convenient. Right by baggage claim. Took about 1/2 hour total. $79.

Next month we will do the same at Fort Lauderdale. Their site also says right by baggage claim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Did you get your testing through that LHI? 

Let me know how it went, did the result really come within an hour?

I got email results in 50 minutes.    Accepted by HAL VeriFLY. Good to go 

My first test at Chula Vista was erroneously listed as a rapid but after I took it - they said it was a PCR - results tomorrow.   

second place at Chula Vista  library was antigen.  Results in 20 minutes.   But handwritten.   Email results- "later".  Still nothing. Verify rejected handwritten results.  

third place was LHI - got antigen results in 50 minutes via email.  VeriFLY accepted. 

So- I got 3 free tests in the space of 2 hours.   

Has anyone used OnPoint Testing for a proctored Covid test where you can use unopened government issued antigen tests?
Does anyone know if HAL will accept the proctored results if only purchasing the proctoring (not the whole test) from OnPoint?

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/

Edited by Cruising_Newbie_2022

@Cruising_Newbie_2022 Welcome to Cruise Critic!  There are a couple of threads discussing this.  Some people have used the free US government tests with online proctoring and HAL accepted them.  HAL rep on phone have said it's OK to do that.  HAL rep on chat function a few days ago said you had to buy one of a few certain tests with proctoring that they have partnered with.  Clear as mud!!!  As someone mentioned there, the question would be better to ask if anyone has been denied boarding when using a free test with online proctoring.

Really confusing!!!  Good luck!

~Nancy

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, twodjs said:

The free usps tests are NOT accepted by HAL. They are not proctored.

We used our free tests and proctored with rapidtestandtrace.com for $20. 

We did not have any problems. We also uploaded results to Verifly. 

• Like 4