Lack of 24-hour pizza on Mardi Grad

Cruzin' Daddy

I was recently on the Mardi Gras (July 16th sailing), and I noticed the Pizzeria was only open from 10:00AM - 4:00AM. To this day, Carnival still advertises the Pizzeria is open 24/7. However, this was not the case. I was wondering if anyone knew why the hours for the Pizzeria were altered. Thanks in advance. 

C38ABB92-F92E-4EFA-9977-36123260CE43.png

Edited by Cruzin' Daddy
Added photo

Just now, shof515 said:

crew shortages. this is not new. pizza hours been reduced for a few months now

I figured that was why. Those guys were making pizzas at a feverish pace. The guy kneading the dough often stopped to shake his hands (I assumed from some sort of pain). I am glad those guys get a break. I do think Carnival should stop advertising 24/7 pizza though. 

Mardi Gras is unique in its lack of late-night dining options.  The panini place (think "deli") closes at 10 pm, not 11 pm as on most ships.   After 10 pm there are no included/"free" dining options except pizza...not even Late Night Snacks on the buffet.    😮    

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Mardi Gras is unique in its lack of late-night dining options.  The panini place (think "deli") closes at 10 pm, not 11 pm as on most ships.   After 10 pm there are no included/"free" dining options except pizza...not even Late Night Snacks on the buffet.    😮    

Which for a ship that accommodates 6000 guests is unacceptable in my opinion.

• Like 4

There were many "time changes" when we cruised a few weeks ago on Magic.  Deli times were cut back, and was sushi and pizza.  All due to lack of staff.  By the end of the cruise they had 3 guys working pizza, and hours were increased, but still not 24/7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Because no one is up at 4 am ordering pizza. The people complaining are mostly "it would be nice instead of cutbacks" people. What actually would be nice is to use the staffing when everyone actually needs it.

Carnival is still advertising 24/7 pizza on their website.

Most of people's complaint with pizza is that is now the only thing available after 10/11 PM these days.

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Because no one is up at 4 am ordering pizza. The people complaining are mostly "it would be nice instead of cutbacks" people. What actually would be nice is to use the staffing when everyone actually needs it.

I usually wake up at 3-4 am (my work hours) most cruises and have many times eaten pizza as that was all that was available until breakfast at 6:30-7am.

Now if Carnival would make ANYTHING else available, in the wee early mornings, cereal, pastries, freaking toast, otherwise, if you advertise 24 hour pizza(or just food), deliver on what you promise.

If they would offer ANY other snacks to tied someone over until breakfast, then closing the pizza down from 4am until 10 am is completely reasonable.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pellaz said:

That is not correct. There were late night snacks from 11:30 pm until 1 am every night at the Pig and Anchor when we on the Mardi Gras in April. If you look at the OP's screen shot, it is the last item listed, so it hasn't changed. Never did partake ourselves, so I can't tell you what was offered. 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Carnival shouldn't be advertising something on their website that they have no intention of delivering.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/pizza-pirate

You could try suing them, but you can't claim you didn't know.

Carnival also advertises the wrong room service prices. First world problems.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You could try suing them, but you can't claim you didn't know.

Carnival also advertises the wrong room service prices. First world problems.

I'm not suing them, I'm just not going on another Carnival cruise until they bring their standard of service back to where it was before COVID. "I'm just happy to be cruising again" isn't enough for me at this point.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival shouldn't be advertising something on their website that they have no intention of delivering.

Carnival has every intention on delivering. When they made the announcement that they were going to cut back pizza hours and Cucina dinners, they said that it would only be temporary until they could be fully staffed. Cucina dinner service is back on line, and I believe the pizza hours won't be far behind. I have already heard of the hours being extended on some ships.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Carnival has every intention on delivering. When they made the announcement that they were going to cut back pizza hours and Cucina dinners, they said that it would only be temporary until they could be fully staffed. Cucina dinner service is back on line, and I believe the pizza hours won't be far behind. I have already heard of the hours being extended on some ships.

They added a banner to the top of Carnival.com when Cucina closed. No such announcement or mention was made for Pizza. The only way people would know before their cruise is if they read it on here.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I'm not suing them, I'm just not going on another Carnival cruise until they bring their standard of service back to where it was before COVID. "I'm just happy to be cruising again" isn't enough for me at this point.

In my area many restaurants have cut back their menus - mostly due to supply issues and food costs.  Many restaurants have "we are hiring" signs in their windows- no one is applying to work.  Some restaurants have stopped serving lunch, opening for dinner only.  And if they open for dinner they have been closing earlier than they used to, as staff does not want to work late.  It is not just CCL that hasn't brought their "standard of service back to where it was before covid."  We have been on 3 CCL cruises since January, and the cutbacks really didn't bother us too much.  However, I can see how some people will draw a line and refuse to cruise until things are back the way they were.  They might be in for a long wait.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I meant to point this out earlier, but why don't you open the link you provided and read the message on top entitled "Onboard Service Updates" Kind of explains that the hours of service may vary, and why, and to check the Hub App for the hours of operation.  Those hours may vary from ship to ship.

"The only way people would know before their cruise is if they read it on here" Or read the banner on top of the Pizza Pirate page! :classic_laugh:.

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, pe4all said:

In my area many restaurants have cut back their menus - mostly due to supply issues and food costs.  Many restaurants have "we are hiring" signs in their windows- no one is applying to work.  Some restaurants have stopped serving lunch, opening for dinner only.  And if they open for dinner they have been closing earlier than they used to, as staff does not want to work late.  It is not just CCL that hasn't brought their "standard of service back to where it was before covid."  We have been on 3 CCL cruises since January, and the cutbacks really didn't bother us too much.  However, I can see how some people will draw a line and refuse to cruise until things are back the way they were.  They might be in for a long wait.

Irrelevant to carnivals situation. They have access to a nearly unlimited supply of workers from the third world. 

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

I meant to point this out earlier, but why don't you open the link you provided and read the message on top entitled "Onboard Service Updates" Kind of explains that the hours of service may vary, and why, and to check the Hub App for the hours of operation.  Those hours may vary from ship to ship.

"The only way people would know before their cruise is if they read it on here" Or read the banner on top of the Pizza Pirate page! :classic_laugh:.

Strangely they were able to notify cruisers specifically that Cucina, Jiji's, and Chef's Table would be closed. But they were unable to extend the same courtesy to notify guests that afternoon tea was gone, pizza pirate would be understaffed and close early, the deli would be understaffed and close early, late night snacks would morph into nothing more than a tray of Stouffer's lasagna at the pizza counter, etc.

Dang it! I just realized I spelled Mardi Gras wrong in the title. Ugh!

Nice discussion folks. To be clear, I wasn’t complaining as I was never up at 4:00AM. I didn’t even realize the Pizzeria wasn’t 24-hours until I hear some other passengers talking about it. Honestly, I think the pizza is disgusting and certainly not worth the really long waits for it. I’ll save the discussion about the food for another thread. I will say this, this was the first cruise I have ever taken where I didn’t gain 10-20 pounds in a week. In fact, I lost 6 pounds on this cruise. Yay for me!

Thanks for all the replies. It was very interesting reading everyone’s viewpoint. 

• Like 1