Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

6 hours ago, law chick said:

I’m on this sailing with my spouse and our two teenage boys and can comment on the non-suite staffing portion of this question. 

We are cc elite despite only taking a handful of cruises, due to our love of the M class penthouse suite. We’ve also sailed in aqua class and this is our third time in a corner FV with an inside across the hall. We’re in the select MDR on this sailing. All this as background of what we’ve experienced in the past. My partner actually prefers not sailing in a suite if we can’t book a PH, because then we can just blend into the crowd and no one is overly concerned that we’re enjoying ourselves (we always are!). Likewise I enjoy not dealing with a butler as we prefer our privacy to all the attention. 

The select MDR this sailing is a complete cluster f. It’s shockingly understaffed. There aren’t even enough staff for them to write on the table cards that identify your servers. Instead of names they just write 0 because they don’t have anyone. 

Then there’s the issue of an unusually large number of passengers who wish to eat at 5pm. Like soooo many people need to eat early and it completely messes up the dining staff. We waited an hour to be seated for dinner the second night, after arriving at 5:45pm. 

Don’t expect a sommelier, we’ve only dealt with bar servers, and they don’t have the bandwidth to be topping off glasses, but they are happy to do a heavy pour. They aren’t even handing out the wine menu. We’ve asked, but never seen one this trip. If you’re easygoing like us, carry a drink in with you, and are okay with whatever red or white wine they suggest after you tell them what you’re generally are looking for, you’ll be fine. If you must have a certain wine or you’ll be disappointed…well, you might be disappointed.

Also I don’t believe there’s a waiter and an assistant waiter. More like one person doing their best.

In other parts of the ship, there’s zero bar servers wandering around taking orders in the solarium pool, at the Oceanview cafe or in the bars themselves. Someone did take my order while I was sitting near the martini bar.

We’ve seen quite a few staff in training, where they don’t seem to know what to do. Usually a more senior staff member will help them out.  

We’re grateful just to be here and are so thankful for all the hard work the staff performs. None of the above issues bothers us despite us knowing how attentive service can be in other circumstances. There’s so many places to eat and drink, we’re very satisfied. If we don’t get enough wine at dinner, we’ll grab a drink after, that sort of thing. Everyone is clearly doing their best and we’re not into making their hard job any more difficult. Every staff member has been truly excellent to deal with despite their obvious levels of overwork. 

We’re here for the scenery and to spend time together, so we’re very happy. But lots of people aren’t. Like there’s so much complaining happening over minor issues. Really letting the overworked staff member have it when something isn’t just right. Other passenger’s behavior is the only real disappointment we’ve experienced on this cruise.  

Thank you for the reality check - reading Jim and Iain's thread, you get lulled into a sense of amazement, but that's the Retreat for you!   We board August 31 and we will not be in Retreat, nor Aqua, simple veranda with Select dining.  We've had this cruise cancelled so many times due to covid that our original booking in Aqua got lost along the way.   This will be our sixth cruise this year and what you are reporting is not at all the experience we had on Edge, Apex, Millennium or Equinox.  But, each of those cruises were max 3/4 capacity.  I know we will have a marvelous time, but your reporting is extremely helpful in order to manage our expectations.  Thank you.  

• Like 6

I’m happy to report that attention to detail seems to be improving in Blu. 
The sommelier, Nandha, is a delight, though very busy. We noticed that waiters, the Maitre D’, and lovely hostess Yury (Estephany) refilling wine. 

We have not seen guests being rude to staff. That would infuriate me. 

For the scenic cruising yesterday, we had thought that people might do the chair hog thing, leaving items in prime spots, then leaving for hours, but we didn’t see any of that. Folks who came early stayed, and some very nice conversations ensued. Couples would take turns for bathroom or food runs. 

There was one couple who asked a pair of sisters to save their seats. Many people came up and asked for them, and were politely turned away. When the couple had not returned an hour into the scenic part, the sisters decided to give the seats to others. It would have been nice if a member of the couple would have returned to report they no longer needed the seats. Two prime spots went unused for too long, and that is a shame. 

Once the scenery got beautiful, a few people decided they needed to walk in and stand in front of those who had been patiently waiting for hours. I’m glad that others made it clear that that was not acceptable. However, most people would come up when there was something particularly photo worthy and ask if they could step in front for a few moments for photos. Those of us sitting happily obliged. 

We had to go to the bar to ask for sodas and water ourselves, and that is absolutely not the  fault of the crew. With all chairs facing forward, they simply could not get to us. As far as I know, everyone was okay with that. 

It was a lovely day over all. 

• Like 12

7 hours ago, law chick said:

The select MDR this sailing is a complete cluster f. It’s shockingly understaffed. There aren’t even enough staff for them to write on the table cards that identify your servers. Instead of names they just write 0 because they don’t have anyone. 

Then there’s the issue of an unusually large number of passengers who wish to eat at 5pm. Like soooo many people need to eat early and it completely messes up the dining staff. We waited an hour to be seated for dinner the second night, after arriving at 5:45pm. 

Don’t expect a sommelier, we’ve only dealt with bar servers, and they don’t have the bandwidth to be topping off glasses, but they are happy to do a heavy pour. They aren’t even handing out the wine menu. We’ve asked, but never seen one this trip. If you’re easygoing like us, carry a drink in with you, and are okay with whatever red or white wine they suggest after you tell them what you’re generally are looking for, you’ll be fine. If you must have a certain wine or you’ll be disappointed…well, you might be disappointed.

As a passenger on the 7 August NJ-Reykjavik Summit sailing, I can tell you the same chaotic energy was happening in assigned time dining. While we enjoyed the sailing, the MDR was a total mess. 

We had the 8 pm late seating, and would often still be at our table just getting desserts around 10:30 pm. One night they served desserts at 10:15 and then turned on the lights at full brightness at 10:19 and started flipping up chairs onto the tables in our section. We had to complain to guest services about that one since the maitre'd was MIA that night. Apparently the carpets were being cleaned that night, and they just wanted to get a head start on things. The following day, we got service at a normal speed, and were out in under two hours, but that never happened again.

This is the first cruise (out of 20+) on any line where the servers didn't attempt to learn our names or speak to us. There were no recommendations on dishes, or explanation of what the bread/spreads were each night, "how was your day?" etc. It was strictly menu drop-off, taking orders, delivery of food and removal of plates. The poor wine steward appeared to be having a nervous breakdown. She had our entire half of the MDR to service "herself,* and it wasn't uncommon to wait almost 1/2 hour after sitting down to see her. We tried to make it easy on her by ordering the same thing every night (Chandon), but even this was inconsistent: we'd get served the celebrity vintage sparkling, or Prosecco, or whatever she could find. We'd be lucky if we got a glass refilled during our 2.5 hour dinners.

Notably, this is the first cruise we've been on where we didn't tip our assigned time dining staff extra at the end of the voyage... it was that bad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

As a passenger on the 7 August NJ-Reykjavik Summit sailing, I can tell you the same chaotic energy was happening in assigned time dining. While we enjoyed the sailing, the MDR was a total mess. 

We had the 8 pm late seating, and would often still be at our table just getting desserts around 10:30 pm. One night they served desserts at 10:15 and then turned on the lights at full brightness at 10:19 and started flipping up chairs onto the tables in our section. We had to complain to guest services about that one since the maitre'd was MIA that night. Apparently the carpets were being cleaned that night, and they just wanted to get a head start on things. The following day, we got service at a normal speed, and were out in under two hours, but that never happened again.

This is the first cruise (out of 20+) on any line where the servers didn't attempt to learn our names or speak to us. There were no recommendations on dishes, or explanation of what the bread/spreads were each night, "how was your day?" etc. It was strictly menu drop-off, taking orders, delivery of food and removal of plates. The poor wine steward appeared to be having a nervous breakdown. She had our entire half of the MDR to service "herself,* and it wasn't uncommon to wait almost 1/2 hour after sitting down to see her. We tried to make it easy on her by ordering the same thing every night (Chandon), but even this was inconsistent: we'd get served the celebrity vintage sparkling, or Prosecco, or whatever she could find. We'd be lucky if we got a glass refilled during our 2.5 hour dinners.

Notably, this is the first cruise we've been on where we didn't tip our assigned time dining staff extra at the end of the voyage... it was that bad. 

That sound like the Apex TA in April 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

On a different topic....

Jim, can you tell me what the current quarantine practice is on the Summit?

Thanks...and thanks for all you do to keep us informed.

We know of two infections among people we know.    In both cases husband has Covid wife doesn't.   Confined to cabin and wife tested again.   If negative have choice of staying in current room or move to a new room and leave husband behind.   Positive cases are tested again at 5 days.   If negative released but if test negative have to remain isolated for 10 days.  

If tested as B2B the guest was permitted to stay aboard buy was moved.

B2B testing unknown and will depend on number of positive cases.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, lexmiller said:

Thank you for the reality check - reading Jim and Iain's thread, you get lulled into a sense of amazement, but that's the Retreat for you!   We board August 31 and we will not be in Retreat, nor Aqua, simple veranda with Select dining.  We've had this cruise cancelled so many times due to covid that our original booking in Aqua got lost along the way.   This will be our sixth cruise this year and what you are reporting is not at all the experience we had on Edge, Apex, Millennium or Equinox.  But, each of those cruises were max 3/4 capacity.  I know we will have a marvelous time, but your reporting is extremely helpful in order to manage our expectations.  Thank you.  

Retreat class is nice but have traveled in Aqua before and find it a nice experience.  I believe Blu actually has more choices for meals and their dining room is very nice.   We even sometimes eat in MDR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

I’m happy to report that attention to detail seems to be improving in Blu. 
The sommelier, Nandha, is a delight, though very busy. We noticed that waiters, the Maitre D’, and lovely hostess Yury (Estephany) refilling wine. 

We have not seen guests being rude to staff. That would infuriate me. 

For the scenic cruising yesterday, we had thought that people might do the chair hog thing, leaving items in prime spots, then leaving for hours, but we didn’t see any of that. Folks who came early stayed, and some very nice conversations ensued. Couples would take turns for bathroom or food runs. 

There was one couple who asked a pair of sisters to save their seats. Many people came up and asked for them, and were politely turned away. When the couple had not returned an hour into the scenic part, the sisters decided to give the seats to others. It would have been nice if a member of the couple would have returned to report they no longer needed the seats. Two prime spots went unused for too long, and that is a shame. 

Once the scenery got beautiful, a few people decided they needed to walk in and stand in front of those who had been patiently waiting for hours. I’m glad that others made it clear that that was not acceptable. However, most people would come up when there was something particularly photo worthy and ask if they could step in front for a few moments for photos. Those of us sitting happily obliged. 

We had to go to the bar to ask for sodas and water ourselves, and that is absolutely not the  fault of the crew. With all chairs facing forward, they simply could not get to us. As far as I know, everyone was okay with that. 

It was a lovely day over all. 

We mostly watched from our balcony and also on the 11th floor.    When we did the turn in the inlet to the Glacier.   Forward was jammed but decided to go full AFT.    When the Captain turned around there were only about 10 of us at the aft Rooftop Garden.   All offering to take pictures of each other.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We took a hike to the Qaqatoq lake today.  

Finally bumped into @Ken the cruiser    He met Iain yesterday but out paths had just not passed.   Great meeting he and his wife.

Glad you and Ken finally met.  Between the two of you, your posts helped me heal from a badly strained knee.  While pretty much stuck inside for 10 days seeing your pix and commentary made me feel like I was vicariously sailing with you.  Thanks, Katie 

• Like 5

Today was Qaqortoc.  We went to town and took the walk around Allaharstuiy-Kongesyen Lake. More commonly called Tasersuaw lake. Good hike and enjoyable day. 

First you hike to the very top of the town. 

FC543B95-8E38-4C85-80A6-4A2BC18C454F.thumb.jpeg.38340feaf258623f122ef8c2f4b50306.jpeg

9C89BBEE-45C7-4541-A2C0-9AA15B796AA9.thumb.jpeg.787c7244459bc4bee57191e38bb186b6.jpeg

5074FFB2-F0F8-43F5-B8E3-591C121C6327.thumb.jpeg.47f44279b54a40f8f65c142934ca0611.jpeg

C5FFF3C8-8E3A-4A9E-996C-B234038A5D6D.thumb.jpeg.5c93952c2a1b6312e7805a14496efdeb.jpeg

C6C7AE44-74EF-4390-A176-E7288165AB28.thumb.jpeg.8dd1014c6e25ac9c84ae1d57bf9778d4.jpeg

FF869E34-9857-4262-A05E-779DC690B24F.thumb.jpeg.32529ff380aaf6843925a986651e330e.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We took a hike to the Qaqatoq lake today.  

Finally bumped into @Ken the cruiser    He met Iain yesterday but out paths had just not passed.   Great meeting he and his wife.

Glad to hear you've finally connected.  Both your threads have been wonderful!

• Like 7

Peekaboo!m, Iain!  I see you! 

Well, not in person. We checked Rendezvous and outside the Retreat a couple of times during the 7:00 hour. We struck out again. 

We have until September 10 to run into each other. I imagine it will happen eventually. 

9E184DCF-29B1-450E-9C74-CE393354A223.jpeg

• Like 1