Glacier Sailing Removed From Quantum Aug 29 and Sep 5 Sailings

Just received an email from Royal Caribbean that the Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier were removed from our August 29th itinerary, and that Icy Strait Point  has been replaced with a port visit to Ketchikan and Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier were removed and that we'll have a full day in Juneau instead. 

The email went on to say --- 

To help make up for these changes, we’re providing you with an onboard credit:

• $75 USD for Interior and Ocean View staterooms 
  • $100 USD for Balcony staterooms
  • $200 USD for Suites

Your credits will be available for you once onboard and can be used anywhere on the ship. If you have a remaining amount left over at the end of the cruise, it will be refunded to your card on file.

Maybe the Quatam is too big to navigate around ice flows near those glaciers?

In Juneau, RC had a great trip we booked via cruise ship on a small plane that took us to an island for a salmon dinner. We flew over glaciers and the island is across from a glacier. Our ice in our drinks was from that glacier. I think the plane was an otter and seated 8 passengers. 

In Ketchikan we did the lumbarjack show on our own, not through the ship and then walked around and did native heritage museum on our own. 

This was all back in 2008 and we have not been back to Alaska since, so don't know if these options are still available.

Note: in Icy Straight Point we took a private whale watching tour but only saw the whale's tails, no breeching activity. There will be other opportunities to see whales and eat salmon. We saw orcas and other whales from the ship. Bring your binoculars! 

Enjoy your trip and the ship. Sounds like a great vacation!

My guess is that this still ahs to do with the engine repairs that are being done during the month of August.  She had to alter many of her itineraries as one engine will be offline so she will be travelling at a reduced speed.  There was a separate thread about this a while back.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Celialeah98 said:

Maybe the Quantum is too big to navigate around ice flows near those glaciers?

The issue is with the engine and has been known and discussed here for a while.  There was a posting earlier saying they were starting repairs this week so we were still hopeful that it would be resolved by the time we sailed. 

For the August 29th sailing they said this:

Due to speed limitations caused by a technical issue with one of the ship’s engines, instead of visiting Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier, we’ll visit Juneau on Friday, with a little extra time to explore this beautiful destination.

For September 5th, it was this. 

Due to speed limitations caused by a technical issue with one of the ship’s engines, we’ve replaced our visit to Icy Strait Point, Alaska with Ketchikan, Alaska. Additionally, instead of visiting Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier on Friday, we’ll have a full day in Juneau, Alaska.

I will be curious to see whether Royal continues the same altered Quantum itinerary for the remainder of their Seattle sailings this season.  The last Alaska voyage will be September 26.  Any takers on that bet?

Got that email too.  Cruise planner isn’t updated so no way to see excursion options for “new” ports. Disappointed we aren’t going to Dawes glacier as we booked the small boat tour. It’s hardly a “full” day in Juneau, 7am to 3pm. I don’t think $100 OBC Is much compensation as I bet any new excusions we book will be at full price (we had booked ours early on). 
Oh well, first world problems …..

Edited by librarylady19

54 minutes ago, logan25 said:

I will be curious to see whether Royal continues the same altered Quantum itinerary for the remainder of their Seattle sailings this season.  The last Alaska voyage will be September 26.  Any takers on that bet?

Color me surprised!

4 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

We have the Quantum booked for August 29 and Sept 5. Probably will cancel both but add a 7 night Alaskan cruise on the NCL Encore for October 16 that is just before our 21night Panama Canal cruise on the Encore. So instead of two flights to Seattle will make it only one. Still deciding.

We are on the same B2B on Quantum that you are currently booked on and have decided we are going to continue to sail.  While we will miss the glaciers, we've been to Alaska twice before and the glaciers are just one part of the beautiful scenery.  

17 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We are on the same B2B on Quantum that you are currently booked on and have decided we are going to continue to sail.  While we will miss the glaciers, we've been to Alaska twice before and the glaciers are just one part of the beautiful scenery.  

yup for me I am on the 29th and glad to be going to Sitka.  Now I can look for that State Park near town and do that walk.  Also glad to be going to Ketchikan again as well as Juneau.   

One has to book a non RCI/X ship to get into Glacier Bay.  Not sure when they will get to go again since they were banned over 10 years ago.

38 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We also had been there twice before and really liked Icy Strait Point and when Royal canceled that it made the decision easier and because we booked under the Cruise with Confidence Program we get everything back in FCC so we can try again another time. Enjoy the Quantum I was looking forward to trying it.