Weather - Alaska - August ????

Sunshine Bob

Whilst it's a "how long is a peice of string" question and I appreciate there are glaciers but what's the weather generally like this time of the year cruising the inside passage?

Do I need to pack everything from swimming shorts to thermal underwear?

I am going on the Discovery Princess on Aug 14th. We packed umbrellas and rain ponchos. I always leave my purse at home and take a backpack for ports.  Make sure if you are carrying something in port that it is waterproof as well. Rain hat or hood as well. And lets hope for no rain!

Warm gloves for Glacier day. 

Edited by LovetheSea

I’ve been to Alaska in August and a couple of times it was 80 degrees in Juneau and Skagway and people were in the pool at sail away.  I changed into shorts and lounged by the pool. 

Just bring layers and you’ll be good to go.

You really never know, so bring the full array of layers. In general, though, there will likely be some rain, some chilly weather, some sun, and some warmth. The weather changes drastically here. For example, this week, we had one day that poured all morning and was beautiful sunshine in the afternoon! The weather people often get it wrong, too.

3 hours ago, nini said:

Bring lots of layers and variety. We have experienced it all; even seeing the Northern Lights on August 28, 2000!

We will be doing two Alaska cruises:  one on the Discovery Princess the week of 8/14 and Royal's Quantum of the Seas the week of 8/22.  We know it could be a long shot but we are hoping to see the Northern Lights sometime during our two cruises.  Have only seen them once before and that was in Fairbanks during October.  Do you remember what city you were in when you saw the NLs?

2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We will be doing two Alaska cruises:  one on the Discovery Princess the week of 8/14 and Royal's Quantum of the Seas the week of 8/22.  We know it could be a long shot but we are hoping to see the Northern Lights sometime during our two cruises.  Have only seen them once before and that was in Fairbanks during October.  Do you remember what city you were in when you saw the NLs?

This was 22 years ago. My first instinct is to say Haines, but I am not sure.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nini said:

This was 22 years ago. My first instinct is to say Haines, but I am not sure.

Thanks.  I had to laugh at the 22 year figure --- my first time was 42 years ago.  DH used to work in Fairbanks and I went to visit him at the jobsite.  Saw the NL and fell in love with Alaska. 

On discovery now.  The weather was amazing all week.    
Sun was out every day.    It drizzled a little in Ketchikan but cleared out by 12ish.   
as it did every port  was very foggy in Skagway. But the sun came out about 1 

same with Juneau.      
and it’s 70° right now in Victoria.   

layers is key.    I’m not an umbrella fan as people can be very rude and not think about others when walking.   Raincoat with a hood is all you really need.   
most shops have overhangs when walking around.   

and it’s just more to pack. 

03853051-CDC6-48FA-AF8A-27425E9EA547.jpeg

3F249ECD-7037-4ADF-9EEB-A63575134094.jpeg

• Like 1