LIVE from Explorer 8/6 - 8/20

kmkord

Currently on the Explorer.  In Salerno today. Ship is looking good. 

The ship seems well occupied judging by the Observation lounge last night. I am Shocked by the number of kids on this sailing. Sitting poolside right now and there are lots of kids. They have taken over both hot tubs and are going back and forth jumping into them.

I heard kids running down the hallway last night. Hoping things calm down on that front. 

skipped dinner last night since the social hostess is out sick and I wasn’t interested in dining alone. 

Tomorrow  I’m visiting Taormina, one of my favorite ports!

I’ve sailed Regent in the summer before, and I did expect the usual NUMBER of kids. It’s usually older kids and young adults. There are a lot of YOUNG kids, and quite more than I’ve ever seen before on Regent.

Seems like there are parents that don't watch their kids either.   I don't mind kids, but if you Bring them on aa line like regent make sure they are well mannered.   And yes if you sail over xmas, thanksgiving and august(especially in Europe) there is a strong probability there will be kids and of course some unruly ones.    

Reminds me of the time we were in Munich in August, and the Saudi's take their government subsidized vacation with Nannies.  The kids were spoiled unsupervised brats racing in the lobby on wheeled shoes and when the hotel manager asked them to behave they just ignored him and told them he wasn't their boss.  Never again!

Thanks for taking time to share.  Looking forward to your reports.

We just disembarked yesterday, so I can tell you from very recent experience that you are in store for a wonderful time onboard Explorer.

BTW, there were 40 guests under 18 years of age on our sailing.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't end up posting much here since I didn't have a good cruise. In fact, I left after 7 days and arrived home on Saturday. I'm so glad I did since I started feeling ill Monday night and woke up on Tuesday with a terrible case of Covid. I was very careful on the bus on plane and wore a mask . 

I'm so thankful that I was off the ship when I got sick since I probably would have been transferred off the ship to a hospital. Even though I have all the necessary insurance to deal with that, I'm happier to feel this sick at home!

If anyone else was on that sailing and feels unwell, please test yourself right away so you don't expose anyone else. I have avoided Covid since the beginning, and this is definitely nothing to mess around with!

Kmkord, I wish you would post.  I’m so sorry you got bad COVID and hope you are improving.  We all wish you well and only you have details of your experience.  Our questions are genuine because I know I have never left a cruise early. Hope you are improving and well soon. 

We completed the same cruise, we thought it was a great cruise, yes there were lots of kids, and yes they did enjoy themselves around the pool sometime a bit to much for my liking, but they are kids. When the did get a little over excited we saw a senior officer have a quiet word with the offending kids and ask them to point out who there parents where, and the parents were spoken to and the kids behaviour was corrected. 

In hindsight I think the kids were well behaved the vast majority of the time, they were polite to the crew, they well extremely well behaved in the restaurant, and the older kids say 14 and above were a total credit to there families, below 14 they were enjoying themselves as all kids do and sometime they went over the top, nothing to get that annoyed about, and there parents brought them back to reality. 

Overall I think the younger age group for us increased the fun, they were respectful, helped the older ones, chatted to us and joined in the fun. Certainly didn’t see anything to make me want to give up a weeks cruising.

• Like 1