Angry about O accepting unvaxed passengers?

Flatbush Flyer

45 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Actually I quoted the CDC release.

Which is counter to what you stated no more quarantining. Which was not correct as far as infected individuals.

"Very true." That was me agreeing with you since I left that disclaimer out of my original post.

Shall we continue to debate that we agree?

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Not sure if you just do not want ANY children onboard  or just ones you choose  to sail with

LOL Why do you do this?

I simply said that Explora having a Childrens area and, from the promotional video was encouraging, emphasizing, catering (take your choice) to family cruising so it was off my list. Ease up for heavens sake.

‘My choice. My decision. 

• Like 3

Princess allows this as well. 10% first come first served. As someone who's had an organ transplant, I'm totally against this. Why should I or some other pax potentially be infected by some uncaring clueless pax who thinks only of themselves? When you receive an organ transplant you are permanently on immunosuppressants to prevent rejection. Really dumb idea Oceania(and all lines that allow this)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Princess allows this as well. 10% first come first served. As someone who's had an organ transplant, I'm totally against this. Why should I or some other pax potentially be infected by some uncaring clueless pax who thinks only of themselves? When you receive an organ transplant you are permanently on immunosuppressants to prevent rejection. Really dumb idea Oceania(and all lines that allow this)

You do realize  that even those vaccinated can spread the virus  especially those that  are now saying if they feel ill they will not report to the medical centre  so they will not be confined to their cabin

They will just continue to cruise  & spread the virus  ..now that is selfish IMO

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Exactly.

And then the antivaxxers say “don’t cruise if you don’t like the lax vax rules.” Given the continuing concern for protecting public health, it should continue to be the other way around: no vax = no cruise.

• Like 3

For what it is worth, I've learned from Oceania that passengers testing positive for Covid while on board will be required to quarantine for 5 days in a cabin other than the one they have booked. I assume this means the ship will have an area reserved for covid-positive individuals.  The cabinmate will also be required to quarantine for at least 24 hours and will be allowed to return to the cabin if they test negative.  I was not made aware of any distinction in this policy for vaccinated or unvaccinated passengers.  I think this will discourage people who are exhibiting minor symptoms from being tested, which probably increases the risk of further spread on the cruise.  In my view, just another reason why I think Oceania decision to lift the vaccination policy is bad. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, coynets said:

For what it is worth, I've learned from Oceania that passengers testing positive for Covid while on board will be required to quarantine for 5 days in a cabin other than the one they have booked.

On recent cruises  people were allowed to stay in the cabin they booked 

I think some posted that  one spouse  could be moved to their own cabin

one designated as an isolation area  if the other spouse was negative

Usually on deck 7 on the O class ships  not sure  about  the R ships

I am sure someone will clarify  if they had to be separated  or not

1 hour ago, coynets said:

For what it is worth, I've learned from Oceania that passengers testing positive for Covid while on board will be required to quarantine for 5 days in a cabin other than the one they have booked. I assume this means the ship will have an area reserved for covid-positive individuals.  The cabinmate will also be required to quarantine for at least 24 hours and will be allowed to return to the cabin if they test negative.  I was not made aware of any distinction in this policy for vaccinated or unvaccinated passengers.  I think this will discourage people who are exhibiting minor symptoms from being tested, which probably increases the risk of further spread on the cruise.  In my view, just another reason why I think Oceania decision to lift the vaccination policy is bad. 

That is not entirely true.  We were permitted to remain in our own cabin.  Quarantine is for six days, not five.  First day is day zero.  Then five after that.  If only one member of the couple is sick, then that person will be moved to another cabin. 

If sales are booming as reported, there will be no cabins on the ship to which to move, thereby requiring the sick person to remain in their own cabin,.

I think all the rules are changed and we will have to see what happens.

Terri

Not sure I understand why having unvaxxed folks on board is of any concern to vaxxed folks. You can catch and spread the virus equally whether you are vaxxed or unvaxxed. Unvaxxed folks are taking a risk that if the get Covid they could get very sick and it could even be fatal but that should not be concerning to vaxxed passengers. On the other hand, being concerned about lack of pre cruise testing certainly seems to have merit, as the fewer infected folks on the ship the better for all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, edgee said:

Not sure I understand why having unvaxxed folks on board is of any concern to vaxxed folks. You can catch and spread the virus equally whether you are vaxxed or unvaxxed. Unvaxxed folks are taking a risk that if the get Covid they could get very sick and it could even be fatal but that should not be concerning to vaxxed passengers. On the other hand, being concerned about lack of pre cruise testing certainly seems to have merit, as the fewer infected folks on the ship the better for all.

Not equally.  A couple of the differences are duration of infection, and the percentage that will not get infected.  Studies indicate that vaccinated individuals tend to be infectious, on average 1-2 days less than the unvaccinated.  Also even though some vaccinated individuals can get infected, data indicates that vaccinated individuals that are current (received booster within past 6 months) have a 40% lower chance of getting infected (efficacy level of the vaccines against current strain)

Of course if unvaccinated individuals have previously been infected they will also have some efficacy in preventing infection.  Depending up the characteristics of their previous infection (which strain, intensity, time elapsed since the infection, etc.) the level can vary quite a bit so it assigning a number is fairly impractical (high if current strain and recent, low if early strain over 6 months back)..

The concern is more a matter on the odds that a ships itinerary will get impacted due to a serious case that requires transfer to a shore facility.  Especially on a longer cruise.  As well as any increase in the number of cases on board makes it more likely that any individual that is a member of my travel party will get infected.

It really comes down to how many cases the cruise ships and the passengers are willing to tolerate on board.  From the changes it is rather clear that the cruise lines are willing to tolerate a higher number than they have been dealing with, in exchange for improvements to their balance sheet.

Edited by ldtr

10 hours ago, rbtan said:

Some people cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, should they be prevented from cruising?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Meer said:

Some people cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, should they be prevented from cruising?

Yes. If they put others at risk. Very few have medical reasons not to be vaccinated. Remember, my system is reduced to help prevent organ rejection. I certainly don't need those few to potentially put me at risk. Don't tell me to stay home, either.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

my system is reduced to help prevent organ rejection. I certainly don't need those few to potentially put me at risk.

Why would you even consider cruising? Visiting other countries where you will obviously being amongst unvaccinated persons?

A person need to assess what is an acceptable risk FOR THEMSELF.

A person with a peanut allergy does not visit a peanut butter factory.

• Like 8

CARNIVAL does the same per new policy announced 8/12/22: 

All new guidelines are effective for cruises departing on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2022 or later, and include:

• Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status prior to embarkation. Pre-cruise testing is no longer required, except for cruises to Canada, Bermuda, Greece and Australia (per local guidelines), and on voyages 16 nights or longer.
• Unvaccinated guests are welcome to sail and are no longer required to apply for a vaccine exemption, except for cruises in Australia or on voyages 16 nights and longer.
• Unvaccinated guests or those who do not provide proof of vaccination must present the results of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within three days of embarkation.
• All policies are subject to local destination regulations.

Carnival Removes Pre-Cruise Testing for Vaccinated Guests, More Changes Announced - Cruise Industry News

As did PRINCESS on the same day: 

"Starting Sept. 6, vaccinated guests sailing on voyages of less than 16 days will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to upload proof of vaccination while getting OceanReady.

Unvaccinated guests, or those who do not provide proof of vaccination, on those itineraries will self-test within three days of sailing and upload proof of a negative test before boarding, the company said, in a press release."

Princess Cruises Drops COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement for Most Voyages - Cruise Industry News

The greatest impact from the changes are the movement of the cruise lines away from providing coverage for Covid impacts and moving the responsibility to the passengers and their insurance. That removes any incentive that passengers might have, beyond their own morals, to report if they are sick, and similarly to not board.  It basically recreates the pre covid environment where people would lie on the health questionnaire, if they were sick, rather than miss  their cruise.

No required testing, no economic protection, means no or little self reporting before or during cruise. Means more cases on board and in common areas.