Angry about O accepting unvaxed passengers?

Flatbush Flyer

As echoed by many on this thread, this news is most disturbing.  The reality however, is O will forge ahead and play by their rules.

These unvaccinated passengers embarking, even with a negative Covid test result, need to be retested daily throughout the cruise.  They are too vulnerable to contract Covid or any of its variants while visiting various ports and risk infecting all fellow passengers upon their return.  It only takes 1 to ruin many vacations.

Oceania needs to keep everyone safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

No more quarantining, no more contact tracing, no more social distancing....I think you're fighting a quickly losing battle if you think Oceania or NCLH is going to backtrack on vaccine mandates. 

New CDC Guidelines as of 8/11:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/health/cdc-covid-guidance-update/index.html

You could just cruise to Canada or Bermuda if you're that concerned. 

Thank you sharing the CDC update.  I hope others  take the time to read it.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Condocat said:

As echoed by many on this thread, this news is most disturbing.  The reality however, is O will forge ahead and play by their rules.

These unvaccinated passengers embarking, even with a negative Covid test result, need to be retested daily throughout the cruise.  They are too vulnerable to contract Covid or any of its variants while visiting various ports and risk infecting all fellow passengers upon their return.  It only takes 1 to ruin many vacations.

Oceania needs to keep everyone safe.

Of note, we received our pre-cruise documents (used to referred to as the Blue Book) for an upcoming cruise.  IMO, the new version is not the same in quality (all paper and two documents). It was printed before they made their decision re vaccination, as the SailSafe page of the document states "Voyages will operate with fully vaccinated guests and crew..”. 

3 hours ago, SophieM said:

Our doctor also gave us a hard no on taking Paxlovid along, just in case. The good news is, I think O is stocking it on their ships, although I think someone reported it cost $800. 😳

We are fully vaccinated, including two boosters, and still managed to catch the dreaded Covid from a trip to Ireland. Fortunately, we had mild, to the point of asymptomatic, cases that I also attribute to those vaccines. Now, we are just hoping that we had the BA5 variant that might have given us a little immunity boost to get us through to the fall when the new boosters are available. 

So. Over. It. 

We checked with our doctor and also received a no to prescribing Paxlovid; indicated that there are strict Canadian rules on how it is to be prescribed and travelling with a prescription just in case is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Condocat said:

Unfortunately it seems that vaccinated pax are also spreading the virus 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SophieM said:

Our doctor also gave us a hard no on taking Paxlovid along, just in case. The good news is, I think O is stocking it on their ships, although I think someone reported it cost $800. 😳

We are fully vaccinated, including two boosters, and still managed to catch the dreaded Covid from a trip to Ireland. Fortunately, we had mild, to the point of asymptomatic, cases that I also attribute to those vaccines. Now, we are just hoping that we had the BA5 variant that might have given us a little immunity boost to get us through to the fall when the new boosters are available. 

So. Over. It. 

Is your Dr in the Mercy system? I was planning on asking mine at my appointment in a couple of weeks. 

6 minutes ago, SophieM said:

He is, in fact! How did you guess?

Well in our area there are pretty much only two, so I had a 50% shot. My Dr is also in their system and wondering if it's a system policy or Dr by Dr. 

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

No more quarantining, no more contact tracing, no more social distancing....I think you're fighting a quickly losing battle if you think Oceania or NCLH is going to backtrack on vaccine mandates. 

New CDC Guidelines as of 8/11:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/health/cdc-covid-guidance-update/index.html

You could just cruise to Canada or Bermuda if you're that concerned. 

Not quite  

The new guidance also does not advise quarantining people who’ve been exposed to Covid-19 but are not infected.

However for infected individuals it states

Symptomatic or infected persons should isolate promptly, and infected persons should remain in isolation for ≥5 days and wear a well-fitting and high-quality mask or respirator if they must be around others. Infected persons may end isolation after 5 days, only when they are without a fever for ≥24 hours without the use of medication and all other symptoms have improved, and they should continue to wear a mask or respirator around others at home and in public through day 10

10 hours ago, ldtr said:

Considering the side effect profile and the common drugs with which there are negative interactions with, your Doctor is probably a good one.

I work for a Medical University with a Health System and also get care there.   I am not a health professional, but an IT professional.    And yes, my Doctor is a really good one.   That said - he did quote the protocol from the health system as well as our State's health department regarding Paxlovid prescribing.   I also asked about the Monkey Pox vaccine, his response only for the high risk at this time, until more vaccine is available.   

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

I do not see any difference in having an unvaccinated passenger at my table than a vaccinated.The virus doesn't fly around and pick the unvaccinated above the vaccinated.Yes the unvaxed may get more sick that won't affect the transmission.At least they get symptoms that will hopefully get them testing, unlike vaxed who think its just a cold...Worse are the people we saw on a recent so-called luxury Seabourn ship.All vaccinated.Coughing and spluttering everywhere, no mask, no hand cleansing.I spent two years around unvaxed friends and family and never caught covid.Cruise with vaccinated and tested positive on return home in April within 24 hours.

Do people seriously think the unvaxed are the only carriers? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

While I'm sure there are some that do, an intelligent person knows the vaccinated can be asymptomatic and transmit COVID to someone else. Where do you see, on this thread, that someone is stating only the unvaccinated spread COVID?

9 hours ago, ldtr said:

The new guidance also does not advise quarantining people who’ve been exposed to Covid-19 but are not infected.

Very true.

9 hours ago, ldtr said:

Symptomatic or infected persons should isolate promptly, and infected persons should remain in isolation for ≥5 days and wear a well-fitting and high-quality mask or respirator if they must be around others. Infected persons may end isolation after 5 days, only when they are without a fever for ≥24 hours without the use of medication and all other symptoms have improved, and they should continue to wear a mask or respirator around others at home and in public through day 10

Aww, you read the article I posted. Thank you!

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Unfortunately it seems that vaccinated pax are also spreading the virus 

Ok, now I see why @janecambridge made the comment she did. Of course the vaccinated do spread the virus - even when asymptomatic. They always have transmitted COVID.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, janecambridge said:

I do not see any difference in having an unvaccinated passenger at my table than a vaccinated.The virus doesn't fly around and pick the unvaccinated above the vaccinated.Yes the unvaxed may get more sick that won't affect the transmission.At least they get symptoms that will hopefully get them testing, unlike vaxed who think its just a cold...Worse are the people we saw on a recent so-called luxury Seabourn ship.All vaccinated.Coughing and spluttering everywhere, no mask, no hand cleansing.I spent two years around unvaxed friends and family and never caught covid.Cruise with vaccinated and tested positive on return home in April within 24 hours.

No, I do not think that. What I think is that the unvaccinated have a stronger chance of becoming sicker. It remains to be seen but that could affect a cruise if ports decide not to accept the ship. My October cruise showed some availability in several cabin categories  a week ago and now everything is waitlisted. If I put two and two together, with Oceania executives saying their bookings are up since they made this announcement, I will venture a guess and say there will be unvaccinated passengers on this cruise. 

Don’t know what happened on your Seabourn cruise but I’ve been on 2 cruises this year. Everyone was vaccinated and there were no Covid problems. For the record, myself and my husband are vaccinated and boosted. We have been amazingly healthy. Never had Covid. Never had a bad reaction from the vaccine. Haven’t had as much as a sniffle in the past 2 years.  It’s every person’s choice but we are grateful for the vaccine. 

• Like 4

I would imagine a  cruise company would be aware of the unvaccinated and liberty to enter a port or not.A refusal  to enter a port can happen with a ship load of vaccinated.

When you say no covid problems, does that mean no covid? On Seabourn it didn't affect us (until my flight home when I fell ill), because all covid cases were on deck 5. I have no idea of numbers and I don't know how anyone can find out the definite numbers of affected and how sick they are.I saw ambulances at 3 different ports around the Canaries.

I too am vaccinated as much as possible-not yet 4th one due to my age.Will I be refused, as not fully vaccinated? .My husband has been vaccinated and he too has never had covid.

Surely fully vaccinated asymptomatic passengers are more of a danger than the unvaxed who show early symptoms.They can be isolated sooner....

Edited by janecambridge
spelling

On 8/10/2022 at 6:09 PM, Hlitner said:

I am not sure we agree with your comment about "catering" to children but it does fit in with the MSC family-oriented philosophy.   When we have looked at deck plans of the Explora I we have not noticed anything in the way of specialized facilities for kids so this should go far in keeping their numbers within reason.    There is a big difference to "catering" to children and teens a la Disney and RCI vs being welcoming to families.

I will overlook your choosing the word “catering” when I actually said “emphasis/catering”

I watched and extensive YouTube video on the Explora series experiences. Did you see that? She talks about the number of adjoining staterooms furnished so families can travel together.

When  you checked the deck plans did you miss the Childrens Area on Deck 11?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I will overlook your choosing the word “catering” when I actually said “emphasis/catering”

I watched and extensive YouTube video on the Explora series experiences. Did you see that? She talks about the number of adjoining staterooms furnished so families can travel together.

When  you checked the deck plans did you miss the Childrens Area on Deck 11?

No I did not notice that area on deck 11.  In fact, the two deck plans I have seen do not have any decks above deck 10.    But have no problem with families on cruises.  I would point out that even O allows children as do most cruise lines with the notable exception of Viking.   Your post did get me thinking about a Senior couple we met on a cruise who told us their favorite line was Disney and they go as a couple (no children).  That prompted us to ask about all the children on that line, but they explained that Disney is great at handling kids and they are not an issue.  Personally, DW and I would not go on Disney unless it was to take our young grandsons.  

DW and I talked about your post and realized that in far more than 100 cruises, the only line we have ever cruised that did not allow children/teens was Renaissance.  The other 15 lines (including several luxury line) all had no age restrictions (other than under 1 year).  In more than 40 years of extensive cruising we have only been on 1 cruise (Adventure of the Seas) where kids were a real annoying problem.  On that particular cruise we had a large group of families from a South American country where apparently, they do not believe in controlling boys!   Otherwise, the only disruptive and annoying passengers we have encountered were adults (often drunk).

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No I did not notice that area on deck 11.  In fact, the two deck plans I have seen do not have any decks above deck 10. 

Viking is a cruise line that does not allow anyone under 18.

Interesting that the Children’s area is close to the cigar lounge. LOL

obviously a personal preference but as I said for us, given the option, I would prefer to not travel with children. Similarly we choose all-inclusive that are adult only.

Agreed! I reached out to O as soon as I heard about un-vaxed travelers will be allowed to board and travel among those of us who followed the rules. I received two emails back that basically ducked the issue with a lot of blah blah blah about their safety protocols. They just don’t get it and ignored the complaint. Not withstanding, anyone who feels this is a wrong move should still reach out to O.

Just now, MarieErnie said:

... They just don’t get it and ignored the complaint. Not withstanding, anyone who feels this is a wrong move should still reach out to O.

Though see the NCL news today, with their bookings going thru the roof after they made the announcement, NCL "gets it". They have a business to run and bills to pay and investors to worry about and bonds to pay off.

7 minutes ago, Robjame said:

obviously a personal preference but as I said for us, given the option, I would prefer to not travel with children. Similarly we choose all-inclusive that are adult only.

I will confess that when we do AI we almost always choose adults only resorts :).  I do understand your concerns about kids, but it is not a deal breaker.   Just because a line allows children does not mean they will be overrun with kids.  On our Seabourn cruises (they do allow kids) we only recall one younger child and a few teens.   I did mention Viking in my post and it is a cruise line we have never cruised (but we have done their River Cruises).    Viking is on our future "bucket list" as we have a family member who absolutely loves that line.  She was also one of the Viking passengers lifted by a helicopter, off the deck of the Viking Sky, when they thought the ship was going to sink off the coast or Norway.  Viking actually refunded all their money from that ill fated cruise and gave them two additional free cruises!

Hank

16 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Oceania  allows children  & you are sailing  with them??

Maybe the adjoining cabins will  be occupied by adult children travelling with  older parents  or maybe not

Virgin Voyages  do not allow children under 18 so another option for you

54 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe the adjoining cabins will  be occupied by adult children travelling with  older parents  or maybe not

Is that what you got from watching the Explora video?

Oceania requires children to inhabit the same room or suite.

I am happy with Oceania and the passive way they respond to this situation.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

Is that what you got from watching the Explora video?

Oceania requires children to inhabit the same room or suite.

I am happy with Oceania and the passive way they respond to this situation.

I did not watch the video  but I cannot see small children allowed in their own cabin  but maybe they are

Unless you are sharing the cabin  on O with children  they do come out  at some point 😉

I would think older children may  have a connection cabin with the parents  

I cannot see teens/parents  in the same cabin  but then again I do not ask them where they sleep

Not sure if you just do not want ANY children onboard  or just ones you choose  to sail with

We had 40 on one of our sailings  according to the GM  ...I only counted 10  so not sure  where the others were hiding

They were well behaved

Many years ago there was some children part of the entertainment family  they were  unruly  at times   but that was the only time I saw this on O

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

While I'm sure there are some that do, an intelligent person knows the vaccinated can be asymptomatic and transmit COVID to someone else. Where do you see, on this thread, that someone is stating only the unvaccinated spread COVID?

Very true.

Aww, you read the article I posted. Thank you!

Ok, now I see why @janecambridge made the comment she did. Of course the vaccinated do spread the virus - even when asymptomatic. They always have transmitted COVID.

Actually I quoted the CDC release.

Which is counter to what you stated no more quarantining. Which was not correct as far as infected individuals.