Queen Anne outdoor spaces

ballroom-cruisers

I just got an email from Cunard advertising the wonderful outdoor spaces on Queen Anne - when I looked at the pictures I was horrified - there is pretty much no shade at all - it is fine for those who want to boil to a cinder in the sun, but what about those of us who like being on deck but not in the direct sun?

For the record, here's the link to that "Outdoor spaces" page. I'll use the link for the UK website.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/inspiration/queen-anne/open-spaces

Note the description for the Aft pool does mention shade.

"You’ll also find a selection of seating styles from which to admire the sweeping views out to sea, and a canopy offering day-round shade if ever you’re seeking a little respite from the sun. "

39 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

That canopy looks like Grills area only?

The canopy shown in the images on that "Outdoor spaces" page is indeed on the Grills Terrace. They don't appear to be showing the canopy they've mentioned at the Aft pool.

There is an overhang at the extreme left of the first image on that page which is an extended view of the area around the Aft pool. That's near the stage shown on the deck plans. It's not clear if that covers much more than the stage itself though.

The area around the bar shown in the background of that Aft pool image is shaded. And the FAQ mentions shaded areas at the Sky Bar and Observation Deck and the Cabana bar. But I understand the concern those areas are probably mostly intended for bar patrons.

Edit to add: It looks like there are overhangs around the perimeter of the Pavilion pool. Seating in that area appears to be shaded.

Edited by bluemarble

Yes indeed, but also for my eyes and ears the description saying, "seat at the bar as DJs and live bands fill the air with the soundtrack..." does not fill me with anticipation, but instead gets me thinking I probably would not want to spend much time there.  I far prefer the gentler music that has usually been playing at low volume on the decks of QV/QE, or close to none at all on deck 7 of QM2, so that quiet contemplation and pure calm and relaxation, can be enjoyed for my time on deck. The image conjured up from that description reminds me more of raucous loud music on some other lines, with impossibly loud DJ talking over the music, and very loud quizzes that drive me to the other end of the deck on such ships.  I like the air to be gentle quiet enjoyment where the primary sound is that of the bow wave just audible as it glides past the hull near the water line. Still each to his/her own!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Presumably there will be shaded outdoor space with seating on the promenade deck.

The promenade deck images I recall didn't leave much room for seating.  In any event, I saw no mention of the promenade deck in the Outdoor Spaces pages, so I'm not optimistic about this.

• Like 1

Hello!   There is not going to be a real promenade deck lined with deck chairs on this ship such as exists on QV, QE and mot especially on the Queen Mary.  My understanding is that there is a very narrow 365-degree lane with many views of the sea blocked by lifeboats and machinery.   This is not a ship I will sail on.  Sorry Cunard.  I will stick with the others especially the QM2.  

Deck Chair

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Yes indeed, but also for my eyes and ears the description saying, "seat at the bar as DJs and live bands fill the air with the soundtrack..." does not fill me with anticipation, but instead gets me thinking I probably would not want to spend much time there.  I far prefer the gentler music that has usually been playing at low volume on the decks of QV/QE, or close to none at all on deck 7 of QM2, so that quiet contemplation and pure calm and relaxation, can be enjoyed for my time on deck. The image conjured up from that description reminds me more of raucous loud music on some other lines, with impossibly loud DJ talking over the music, and very loud quizzes that drive me to the other end of the deck on such ships.  I like the air to be gentle quiet enjoyment where the primary sound is that of the bow wave just audible as it glides past the hull near the water line. Still each to his/her own!

I was about to post the same thoughts. Thanks for saving me the trouble. The more I see about the Queen Anne the more I know it is not for me. Perhaps I shouldn't be too critical; at least it doesn't have a roller coaster, dodgems, water slide or rock climbing wall. 

• Like 2

Hopefully there won't be any water slides and climbing walls installed during the first Queen Anne dry-dock, once the new modern thinking passengers start putting in their feedback on post-voyage questionnaires, saying there is not enough entertainment of the right kind (!) on Queen Anne cruises! (Tongue now removed from cheek!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Hopefully there won't be any water slides and climbing walls installed during the first Queen Anne dry-dock, once the new modern thinking passengers start putting in their feedback on post-voyage questionnaires, saying there is not enough entertainment of the right kind (!) on Queen Anne cruises! (Tongue now removed from cheek!)

From day one, one has thought, plus posted, stating a Carnivalisation, together with it’s clientele, will happen to this mongrel Anne.

And received flack.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Flack
  • Like 1

I have several comments. First, every time Cunard puts out information, I see more similarities to HAL's Koningsdam. I had to laugh about the "specially designed" sliding glass roof. That is not a new concept. QE2 had one, although it was rarely opened because it tended to get stuck. But every HAL ship has one, and they do use them, especially in warm climates. I can also tell you that they can be closed quickly, as we discovered in a sudden rainstorm in St Lucia. The enclosed pool is a large area, and the double height makes it a pleasant space. 

Yes, there's a huge screen. But that isn't necessarily awful. It depends on how it's used. Admittedly, my only Princess cruise was more than 10 years ago, but I hated that they had movies and LOUD soundtracks during the day. OTOH, on the K'dam, the screen showed abstract shape-shifting designs during the day, and no or minimal sound. It was easy to ignore. I think they showed a nature video for an hour in the afternoon. My favorite thing on K'dam (and it's a short list) was the evening movie by the pool, with fresh popcorn. I found that very relaxing (and better than their awful shows in their too-small "world stage"). 

The rendering of QA's aft pool screams "chair hog!" It shows about two dozen loungers. Those and the ones by the covered pool will be claimed early. So much of the deck space is uncovered and away from a pool that poolside seats will be at a premium. I don't care about access to a pool, but I very much want shade. 

• Like 1

If the deck plans are anything to go by, there will be no chairs on the "promenade deck." The plans look exactly like K'dam, with narrow stretches and lots of turns. The only place to sit on K'dam's "promenade deck" (and they know better than to try and call it that) is on the benches that hold extra life jackets. 

I hope this pic comes through. This is one of the narrow sections of K'dam's version of the "promenade decck."

image.thumb.jpeg.b42c23788b75b2a446524b60d54f20e3.jpeg

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If the deck plans are anything to go by, there will be no chairs on the "promenade deck." The plans look exactly like K'dam, with narrow stretches and lots of turns. The only place to sit on K'dam's "promenade deck" (and they know better than to try and call it that) is on the benches that hold extra life jackets. 

I hope this pic comes through. This is one of the narrow sections of K'dam's version of the "promenade decck."

image.thumb.jpeg.b42c23788b75b2a446524b60d54f20e3.jpeg

Thanks….

Can hear Cunard ringing the death knell for a romantic side by side hand holding passeggiata.

The three true queens rule

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Thanks….

Can hear Cunard ringing the death knell for a romantic side by side hand holding passeggiata.

The three true queens rule

Even on QM2, there is really not room for strolling along the prom deck hand in hand, unless, of course, you don't care about holding up those unfortunate to be behind you. 

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Even on QM2, there is really not room for strolling along the prom deck hand in hand, unless, of course, you don't care about holding up those unfortunate to be behind you. 

Footsteps heard in narrow areas, pause, turn, smiles and nods exchanged, overtaking performed.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Smiles